PDA

View Full Version : Things I learned the hard way.

thedore
05-16-2010, 10:12 PM
The biggest thing I learned was if you put 2 plates in an electrolyite HHO is produced. No problem. Then if you put 2 or 3 or 4 pairs of plates in an electrolyte and expect to get 2 or 3 or 4 times as much HHO. IT DOES NOT WORK! Why it does not work is anybodies guess. Lead acid batteries have been doing this exact thing for 100 years and they work fine. This is what leads up to the dry cell or in my case 4 spiral wound cells.

ted

Autowrench
07-29-2010, 12:45 PM
I use the Mason Jar generator. What I learned the hard way was not to leave the reactor on when the engine is turned off. I, by accident, left mine on for two hours one day, and the acrylic tower had twisted around at least twice, requiring a new tower. Since then we installed a nice amber light on the dash, with a sunglasses lens glued over it to cut the brightness for night driving. My advice? Don't leave it on!

jbalat
07-30-2010, 04:44 AM
Firstly you should hook up the generator to relay that is powered from your fuel pump or oil pressure switch. This is the most basic minimum safety feature. There should be no possibility at all that the generator can run without the engine running.

Secondly do not use glass jars. A bad connection can cause an explosion and depending on who is standing nearby you may end up hurting someone.

The reason adding more plates doesnt produce the proportional amount of gas is because you get current leakage. The current would prefer to jump across the end plates only or to a parallel cell from 0v to 12v rather than 3 volts at a time through 4 sets of plates. (Use 6 plates to get the right voltage drop)

So there is the problem to minimise leakage. Dry cells are much better at this but not perfect..

See my cell here. Its not much harder to build than a wet cell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo4w7Z5WJI0

lhazleton
07-31-2010, 06:27 PM
Jbalat,
I just checked out your video. Very nice idea, having the stacks side by side.
If you were to add additional electrolyte and gas fittings on the backside as well, I can pretty much guarantee a better running reactor.
Very nice build!

jbalat
08-01-2010, 01:06 AM
Thanks lhazleton,
for now I was just going to add another plate to each stack and see if I can boost the amperage up a little more..

Can you tell me if your setup is yielding any fuel savings ?

If so do you have any advice for me.. See the mitsubishi pajero thread..

lhazleton
08-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I was just going to add another plate to each stack and see if I can boost the amperage up a little more..

Adding plates won't boost amperage. It will actually reduce the draw. I run a minimum of 6 neutral plates per stack which allows me to use a 28% KOH solution. I need to run a high mixture to prevent freezing.
Also, the more neutrals per stack, the cooler the reactor will run.
The reason I mentioned adding the plumbing to the backside of your reactor is because in the video, it seems to be 'chugging' a bit. Having additional ports will allow the cells to breathe better, thus increasing performance.

jbalat
08-02-2010, 04:48 AM
I understand about getting a better flow and I agree. I would like to try snap on pneumatic connectors to make things a little easier. I am currently using garden connectors which are very bulky.

Indeed I want to add the other plate per stack to reduce the chance of boiling and producing steam when I ramp up the amps with more NaOH.

lhazleton
08-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Any improvements yet? It's a nice design & I hope you succeed with it.

jbalat
08-20-2010, 06:29 PM
No, I switched it off for now under the assumption I am not feeding my car enough gas. I am making a duplicate unit so I can run 2 in parallel...