PDA

View Full Version : Organising our information

Painless
07-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Since I found the HHO forums about a month or so ago, I've been here multiple times everyday and found it a constant and rich source of information. In addition, there are many people here with particular specialties that can always provide a new angle or answer questions related to their specific gifts.

I'm 110% sure that I'm not alone in making the above statement.

One thing that is apparent though is that this forum is collecting a lot of good information which can be difficult to locate after the fact. Forum's are awesome for discussion of subjects and sharing of information, however, they can be very tedious when it comes to searching them to find a particular fact that you know has probably been answered before.

I wanted to suggest that we start our own HHO Wiki, for those of you not in the know, a wiki is a way of collecting and organising information. en.wikipedia.org is a great example of a wiki. With a wiki in place, as useful facts / links / processes etc are brought to light on the forum, they could then be entered into an appropriate place on our wiki where they could be easily found and updated as necessary.

Where would we host such a wiki?

I don't know if Stratous has the resources available at wherever the forum is hosted? I have my own web server that could be used for the wiki. If it was agreed that this is something we could make good use of, I certainly have the knowhow to get one up and running fairly quickly.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Russ.

HYDROTEKPRO
07-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Great idea!

Make it Hack-Proof however. Big Oil would LOVE for the information to be changed into an incorrect and confusing form. Even ZeroFossilFuel acknowledges this when he says to "encrypt messages to him, or all the wrong people will read them. You have been advised."

Make it hack-proof so Big Oil hackers can't screw it up, and you've got a definite winner!!

Stratous
07-29-2008, 02:13 PM
I am listed as an admin on this site, but I have limited access. TeknikL is the main Admin. Send him an IM or PM or and EMail and lets see what he says. Also, Computerclinic has some access as well. I am a computer programing dummy.

HHOhoper
07-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Great idea!

Make it Hack-Proof however. Big Oil would LOVE for the information to be changed into an incorrect and confusing form. Even ZeroFossilFuel acknowledges this when he says to "encrypt messages to him, or all the wrong people will read them. You have been advised."

Make it hack-proof so Big Oil hackers can't screw it up, and you've got a definite winner!!

It is SICK that we live in that kind of society. Just sick. Oil execs are going to burn in hell.

computerclinic
07-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Big oil and the gov would love to just go around and dictate what is said or written, but the way they would likely attach a bug isnt through the site or the code...more likely to provide missinformation or disinformation.

Social Hacking can be a much more powerful tool than Black Hat operations in our forums.

Now if we were commited to protesting, operating a business that threatens the current economic structure, or posted tons of propaganda...that may draw some attention and cause security concerns. But as for now and given the climate and personality of our community, I would like to think that "Big Brother" and "Big Oil" is not much of a concern.

If you are discussing potential patents, or maybe exchanging otherwise sensitive info...you are certainly correct in needing encryption. But here, information is gladly and freely exchanged.

A wiki is an awsome idea...I would also like to have a sort of organized personal profile that would include the experiment details, member by member.

Painless
07-29-2008, 08:17 PM
I've installed a Wiki on my web based server this afternoon and am currently playing with the settings / digesting the manual.

I will definitely go for a a secure wiki, reading would be open to everyone but writing / editing will be for registered users and will go through an approval process.

I'll keep working on it and report back in a couple of days.

Painless
07-30-2008, 11:04 PM
After a lot of reading and effort, I have created an online Wiki for everyone to use. The wiki is located on my own web server at the following link:

http://www.hhoknowhow.info/wiki/

Whilst it is currently in a state that I would call usable, I will be continuing to make changes as we go. I encourage everyone to read through the homepage and get stuck in! I'm hoping that this wiki will prove to be a valuable resource to compliment these excellent forums and the great people that visit here.

Any questions, suggestions etc, please post here!

Russ.

Blinger101
07-31-2008, 12:46 AM
Good job on getting the Wiki setup. I'm assuming we need to create accounts in order to edit any information, correct?

I'll be bookmarking this one.

Painless
07-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Good job on getting the Wiki setup. I'm assuming we need to create accounts in order to edit any information, correct?

I'll be bookmarking this one.

Yes, you need to create an account in order to edit / create any pages.

Painless
07-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Ok, I just added a plugin to the wiki which will greatly simplify the addition of new pages, you will now find 'Add page' fields and buttons on the homepage and around the wiki. Hopefully, this should make things a lot easier.

computerclinic
07-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Looks like a good start, painless...Im looking forward to referencing it as folks add on to it. If you need help with customising the code or some artwork, let me know and I can help out...I am good with PHP and MySQL.

Painless
07-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the offer, computerclinic, and your compliments.

It would be nice if the wiki could be added to the forums links (like the flashchat was), as long as the forum owners are accepting of the wiki.