PDA

View Full Version : just a few questions

wlf89
07-29-2008, 12:40 PM
i built my generator and i am getting 1lpm but my wires are over heating it is 14 gauge i guess i have to much lye in it because when i didnt have as much in it didnt get hot i have the blank wall plates from lowes +nn- +nn- what can i do to help this?do i need more plates or what?does sealing the edges with silicone help? i dont know how many amps i using i am probly going to get a amp guage tomarrow so i will know then also i can probly fit at least 15 to 20 plates in there where i just have 8 now would that help to have about 15 in there if so how do i need them +nn-.... or something else i know there is no best way but i just need to know a good way that works any help is appreciated thanks alot wlf89

HHOhoper
07-29-2008, 01:33 PM
i built my generator and i am getting 1lpm but my wires are over heating it is 14 gauge i guess i have to much lye in it because when i didnt have as much in it didnt get hot i have the blank wall plates from lowes +nn- +nn- what can i do to help this?do i need more plates or what?does sealing the edges with silicone help? i dont know how many amps i using i am probly going to get a amp guage tomarrow so i will know then also i can probly fit at least 15 to 20 plates in there where i just have 8 now would that help to have about 15 in there if so how do i need them +nn-.... or something else i know there is no best way but i just need to know a good way that works any help is appreciated thanks alot wlf89

Do you have a fuse in between your power source and your generator? That'll will give you a good idea if you're amp draw is too high (*POP*) :D. Generally, I would say 14 guage is too small for this type of application anyway. I'd go 12 or 10 if I were you.

Stratous
07-29-2008, 02:05 PM

If the wires are getting hot, then your drawing too much current. 14 gauge wire is only rated for 15 amps max, any more that that will cause the wire to get hot. Also, if your connection terminals are poorly crimped/soldered you will have heat build up. Here is a chart that list the AWG for DC current.
http://www.windsun.com/Hardware/Wire_Table.htm