PDA

View Full Version : alternator

wlf89
07-29-2008, 03:51 PM
i have a 82 datsun (nissan) truck with a 2.2l and the alt is only either 50 or 60 amps and i have a 69 chevy truck with 350 and its alt is either 55 or 61 amps so if i had a hho generator doing 25 or 30 amps would that not overwork the alt

HHOhoper
07-29-2008, 04:15 PM
That's a REALLY good question. I'm pursuing the same question here:

http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=623

I'd ask and alternator expert.

timetowinarace
08-07-2008, 11:56 AM
It's not a practical answer to your question but there are alternators designed for the circle track racing world that are mounted by the drive shaft and the drive shaft turns them. It would be easy to add a second seperate 12V electrical system to any rear wheel drive vehicle using one of these. They would provide a certain amount of drag of course but because they are made for racing this would be minimal.

I don't know why this came to mind but thought I'd post it as someone may be able to use the information.

scirockett
08-08-2008, 10:46 PM
you are not going to overwork your alternator by high current draw from devices such as a HHO generator IF your electrical system is in good condition. you will drain your battery instead. Many charging systems are put to their limits continuously with heavy loads from lights, pumps, subwoofers, etc.. An alternator rated at 60 amp puts out 60 peak so you're not always getting that much power. these curves vary but by 3000 engine RPM you're usually near the peak.

beware of crap wiring. especially the line from your alternator to battery. continuous high current could melt your insulator and it's surrounded by grounds, and probably rubbing on some too.

Yes you may "work" your alternator, but with a mechanically sound alternator and good wiring your failure would be draining the battery.

Phantom240
08-11-2008, 09:53 PM
you are not going to overwork your alternator by high current draw from devices such as a HHO generator IF your electrical system is in good condition. you will drain your battery instead. Many charging systems are put to their limits continuously with heavy loads from lights, pumps, subwoofers, etc.. An alternator rated at 60 amp puts out 60 peak so you're not always getting that much power. these curves vary but by 3000 engine RPM you're usually near the peak.

beware of crap wiring. especially the line from your alternator to battery. continuous high current could melt your insulator and it's surrounded by grounds, and probably rubbing on some too.

Yes you may "work" your alternator, but with a mechanically sound alternator and good wiring your failure would be draining the battery.

Not so true. Working the alternator to the max, and thus having to draw from the battery will dramatically shorten the alternator's lifespan.

Look into getting a high output alternator for your chevy, they're easy to find used. I see a lot of them come up in the classifieds of www.caraudio.com/forum . As for the Datsun, it has the Z22 motor, correct? The one with two spark plugs per cylinder? If so, I may be able to hunt you down a replacement from a newer vehicle. I think the 240sx alternator works, but I'll get back to you on that one.