PDA

View Full Version : you know

clarence1984
07-29-2008, 06:10 PM
you know i had a light bulb kick on the other day. You know in the medical field they make oxygen concentrators. Why can't you just put a mechanical oxygen concentrator on the engine and pipe it into the intake to improve combustion efficiency?

HHOhoper
07-29-2008, 06:13 PM
I wonder how much juice it would take to power that thing.

ICEMAN.KCMO
08-01-2008, 11:36 AM
you would have to add more fuel... alot more fuel.....

I am sure you guys have heard of Nitrous Oxide?? N2o? It is 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen... The only thing that burns is the oxygen... the nitrogen is there to cool down the combustion... Pure oxygen will raise your combustion temp to the point of melting everything.

Smith03Jetta
08-01-2008, 12:09 PM
I've actually thought about the possibility of using a small medical oxygen separator to "Clean" the oxygen out of our useful Hydrogen. I don't know if this would work or not because I know absolutely nothing about the machines or how they work.

daveczrn
08-01-2008, 01:32 PM
pure oxygen does funny things to everything... everything is flamible then.. and things that were flamible are now explosive. i would be afraid of pumping anything over abour 60% oxygen in there..

Stratous
08-01-2008, 02:44 PM
pure oxygen does funny things to everything... everything is flamible then.. and things that were flamible are now explosive. i would be afraid of pumping anything over abour 60% oxygen in there..

Pure oxygen is great for hangovers...lol Back in my younger days, I used to get a blasting hangover, then go sit in the cockpit of my aircraft and suck on pure oxygen for about 3 minutes and the hangover would lessen considerably

LinChiek
08-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Pure oxygen is great for hangovers...lol Back in my younger days, I used to get a blasting hangover, then go sit in the cockpit of my aircraft and suck on pure oxygen for about 3 minutes and the hangover would lessen considerably

:eek: human can't really breath using 100% o2 rite? we will b intoxicated rite? :confused:

wipeout97
08-02-2008, 06:32 PM
I am not sure if astronauts still do it but they used to :rolleyes:

Cadillac
09-05-2008, 04:27 PM
I am not sure if astronauts still do it but they used to :rolleyes:

Yes astronauts do have to be capable of breathing air with extra oxygen. It really only happens in the space suits, to my knowledge at least. I can not remember specifics off the top of my head but it has something to do with stabilizing their blood pressure to a more earth like state. That is why they train so much in these suits.

Could you imagine being half baked hanging on to the side of the mir space station while trying to attach an antenna. Man I wish I would have did better in school. What a job.

Painless
09-05-2008, 04:31 PM
100% O2 used to be used by NASA right up until the Apollo 1 fire, in 100% O2 just about everything is highly flammable / instantly explosive. They might still do this in space suits though, not sure.

Kobudoman
10-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Your right pure O2 is a danger from a combustion perspective. O2 becomes a poison at some thing like 3 atmospheres of pressure not a narcotic. It's nitrogen that becomes a narcotic. I know this thanks to my other hobby S.C.U.B.A. diving.

JonDoh
10-09-2008, 06:31 AM
:eek: human can't really breath using 100% o2 rite? we will b intoxicated rite? :confused:

Idk...... there seems to be alot of Oxygen bars... that's kinda like a fad.... go to the bar and breath pure oxygen

coffeeachiever
11-06-2008, 09:28 PM
On the ambulance we frequently give patients 10-15 lpm of pure O2 through a non rebreather mask. Good for heart attacks, strokes and pulmonary edema, but I think it's a bad idea to add it to the engine.

kerry k
11-07-2008, 10:25 AM
I've actually thought about the possibility of using a small medical oxygen separator to "Clean" the oxygen out of our useful Hydrogen. I don't know if this would work or not because I know absolutely nothing about the machines or how they work.

The company I work for makes the chemical for these machines. They work by passing the gasses to be seperated through a molecular sieve which is basiclly a engineered crystal type molecule that traps the nitrogen but allows the oxygen to pass through.

I don't think an "oxygen concentrator" would do anything for HHO due to the different sizes of the hydrogen and nitrogen atoms.

We make a molecular sieve just for filtering hydrogen. Unfortunatly it is made at a different plant from the one I work at but I am working on a way to get some to play with.

There is a lot of info on the web about this stuff. Try search words 13x zeolite, hydrogen molecular sieve