PDA

View Full Version : Thickness of electrodes and gaskets

karmagos1
07-20-2010, 09:16 AM
What is the optimum thickness of 316L stainless steel for dry cell using?
The area between two electrodes influence the efficiency of dry cell (Gasket thickness)?

CNC MASTER
07-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Great question! I for one like the least about of variables..so the only variable for me is the electorate.....and temperature of course...ill leave this one for others as i am indeed using magnets and other advanced type of cell per Larry to make this all work....I say you wait a month till we figure this all oit and buy. a working unit and have Koya1893 or a skilled craftsman like myself install it and make it work correctly...lots of stiff happening......a colder spark plug is necessary as well.

lhazleton
07-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Philip,
As BioFarmer told you on another thread, 1mm will work fine for the plates.
Many people use 18 ga., but I personally like a thinner steel, anywhere from
28ga. to 22ga.. The thinner stuff cuts easily (I have to do mine by hand), but you have to be very careful not to get any bends or dings in it.
Gasket thickness can make a big difference. I generally use 0.040" EPDM, but on some of my smaller (6"x6") units, I'll run 3mm O-rings. These work very well.
One of my reactors (strictly for testing) uses 1/4" thick gaskets. I haven't had much good luck with that one, but I think that Larry (H2Opwr) uses thick gaskets with great success.
You must remember that everything is a variable when it comes to building a reactor. The larger the gap, the more concentrated the Electrolyte must be.
Something as minor as fingerprints on the surface area of the plates can greatly reduce a reactor's efficiency.

HHOJeeper
07-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Great question! I for one like the least about of variables..so the only variable for me is the electorate.....and temperature of course...ill leave this one for others as i am indeed using magnets and other advanced type of cell per Larry to make this all work....I say you wait a month till we figure this all oit and buy. a working unit and have Koya1893 or a skilled craftsman like myself install it and make it work correctly...lots of stiff happening......a colder spark plug is necessary as well.

A colder spark plug? Do you have a thread started somewhere for what you are currently working on?

CNC MASTER
07-21-2010, 04:14 PM
No, I do not...just. check my profile and my posts..currently working on a new fixture to stamp out my electrotes that are of new design and have magnets and a secure way of grabbing some of the field electron flow per Larry...I'm working hard on this. Will be in the machine shop this weekend again making my dye stamp. I'm considering nickel 200 plate but no thicker than .025 thickness.....its just to Damn hard to stamp as opposed to 316L....I've spent more money and time on this experiment than I want to admit but Koya1893 Shane Jackson and Larry have save me tons of time...

Roland Jacques
07-22-2010, 05:35 PM
I recommend thick electrodes, (if SS even thicker if nickle not so much) 16 - 18 gauge for SS 20- 24for nickle. With trode's the current has to pass throughout the plate from a small starting point, you can minimize resistance with thinker material.

Neutral plate have a large starting point (the whole side of the plate so less material the less resistance. So the neutral plates should be as thin as possible.

I like bigger gaps 0.125" to 0.250" (2 to 3 mm) IMO