PDA

View Full Version : Titanium plates

AutoVazione
07-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Hi I have been following things on this site for a while now and I want to ask a quick question about titanium plates.

Would there be any issue in using a combination of mmo coated titanium and bare titanium plates in a sealed dry cell?

Cheers

Brent
03-29-2011, 08:38 AM
I am just building my first HHO unit and will be using titanium for the anodes. Titanium is very corrosion resistant so I thought I would try that first.

I have been metal working and machining for years now and have great sources for most metals.

koya1893
03-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Brent,
care to share your resources for obtaining SS and ti. I would like to have another source for my plates. Thanks in advance.

saudara
04-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Dear all,

I have all Ti plates to make -NNNN+NNNN-, but it works only for about 1 minute then the current went down from 10 Amps to 0.5 Amp only? please kindly share your experiences, and please tell me what is wrong, Thanks.

Hendra

H2OPWR
04-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Dear all,

I have all Ti plates to make -NNNN+NNNN-, but it works only for about 1 minute then the current went down from 10 Amps to 0.5 Amp only? please kindly share your experiences, and please tell me what is wrong, Thanks.

Hendra

I understand everyones desire to get away from Stainless because of possible hexchrom. Everyone needs to understand that a cell made with plain Titanium will simply not work. The anode will quickly be rendered non conductive. Titanium is probably the worst choice to make an efficient device from. It is a worse conductor than stainless and quickly quits drawing power.

Nickel 200 is the only real choice if you want to migrate away from stainless. The obvious issue is cost. The best solution if you don't want to spend the money for nickel is to overbuild a stainless cell. As long as you don't over amp stainless it will be very safe.

Larry

saudara
04-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Thank you Larry,

For the neutral cathode plates, are you using Nickel plates too?

H2OPWR
04-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Thank you Larry,

For the neutral cathode plates, are you using Nickel plates too?

Any neutral plates will be both an anode and a cathode. Hence the term bipolar. If my design is Nickel then I will only use Nickel. If I use stainless then all plates will be stainless. Do not mix dissimilar metals.

Larry

saudara
04-09-2011, 02:27 AM
Dear Larry,
I will try to get Nickel Plates, don't know if it will be available or not, how thick you will choose for 4 x 6 inch plates?

Thanks

H2OPWR
04-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Dear Larry,
I will try to get Nickel Plates, don't know if it will be available or not, how thick you will choose for 4 x 6 inch plates?

Thanks

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying you should use Nickel 200. It is very expensive. When I bought Nickel I used 28 gauge stuff.

Cost wise I would use stainless and just not over amp the cell. I just would not touch Titanium.

Larry

saudara
04-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Larry,

I do find the source for my HHO plates, I have ordered 4x6" 1MM thick, for the Nickel 200 costs USD 10 each and for Ru coated Ti is USD 38 each. Hopefully will come to me in 1 week time.

The USD 38 one is double sided Ru coated, the neutral plate is one side coated (cost USD 21 each) and the cathode plate is plain Ti plate (cost USD 6 each) the supplier says all the plates will be flatted, sand blasted, well cleaned etc.

How long your Nickel plates will serve you? I found yours is 1/3 thick of mine, if the thin one is good enough, I will change my order for the 0.5MM.

Thanks

H2OPWR
04-10-2011, 08:18 AM
My nickel plates never wore out. The only problem with very this was bending them. They were very soft.

Larry

Brent
04-10-2011, 04:31 PM
I am running Ti on my system just fine with no corrosion or loss of conductivity. And the electrolyte (10%KOH) is only a light gray color.

saudara
04-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Brent,

Thanks for your information, please let me know your Ti plate size, plate distance, no of plates and the current drawn ?

Hendra

saudara
04-11-2011, 08:26 PM
My nickel plates never wore out. The only problem with very this was bending them. They were very soft.

Larry

Larry,

Yours are very thin, how about 1mm thick, will it be hard enough?

Thanks
Hendra

H2OPWR
04-12-2011, 07:37 PM
Larry,

Yours are very thin, how about 1mm thick, will it be hard enough?

Thanks
Hendra

Not sure, Someone needs to try it

Larry

saudara
04-16-2011, 03:45 AM
I am running Ti on my system just fine with no corrosion or loss of conductivity. And the electrolyte (10%KOH) is only a light gray color.

Hi Brent,

My Ti plate not working at all, any trick for this? Tks

Hendra

H2OPWR
04-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Hi Brent,

My Ti plate not working at all, any trick for this? Tks

Hendra

Saudara, It is documented and proven. Without some kind of protective coating Titanium plates will just not work. Even with coatings they are very ineffecient.

Larry

saudara
04-20-2011, 12:06 AM
Saudara, It is documented and proven. Without some kind of protective coating Titanium plates will just not work. Even with coatings they are very ineffecient.

Larry

Larry,

I found the same as you said, Ti plates are not working in this purpose. I will have my Ru Coated Ti plates and Nickel plates next week, will post the result after testing

Rgds/Hendra

saudara
05-02-2011, 06:25 AM
Larry,

I found the same as you said, Ti plates are not working in this purpose. I will have my Ru Coated Ti plates and Nickel plates next week, will post the result after testing

Rgds/Hendra

Larry,

I hv had my Nickel plates tried, they do work well, I space them with 3mm thick silicon gaskets, any suggestion for the plates spacing distance? will 2 mm also works well?

Thanks
Hendra

CoolNeal
07-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Have some questions about :DTitanium Plates NOT about :mad:Nickel Plates
What is the different types of Titanium?
Which one is the best type of Titanium and best thickness to use?
The cost for these metals and where to buy Titanium?
Is it better to have one Titanium Plate as the cathode or all the Plates Titanium?