PDA

View Full Version : whats best for me. map or o2 manipulation?

mwipp
10-20-2010, 11:50 PM
to start im new to the forum. I currently studyin to become a mechanical engineer with a bio-fuel minor. My latest obsession has been with this hho injection. I just became intrigued about this the other day and havent been able to get my mind off it haha. so ive been reading alot about everything... the main thing i havent decided on is how to control my ecu? from what ive read manipulating the o2 sensor is the way to go right? ... and the over all goal being to lean out the amount of gas you use because hho takes the place of gas also because of the increase of 02 in the exhuast. so how to you make sure your not leaning it out too much? and if it consistently leans the fuel ratio through out the entire power band.. how do you make sure it isnt too lean at high rpms when hydrogen production is the same through out?

alright what i want to install an hho injection on is my 2002 cavalier Z24... 2.4l dohc 4cyl. has anyone installed an hho on something like this? what kind of gains did you get? i get about 24/30 city/hwy now

The first thing i saw to fix the ecu problem is a chip. something like the fs2. then the other thing i found was this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270477572704&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
i liked this better because it also can control a PWM by reading a map sensor signal to control hydrogen production. and leans the ending out through the o2 sensor manipulation.

yea.. i know this is a ridiculously long post saying nearly nothing and asking lots of questions. but ive been pondering how im gonna do this that im about to go insane. so bring my some sanity and help me answer questions!!

(oh and im a poor college student so i havent even built my cell yet.. that is my goal for the winter. then if that goes well i wanna have a plan and rough costs of it would take to install it in my car in the spring)

If you actually read all this. im sorry if i wasted your time. but any thoughts/ideas/help/advice or just conversation is welcomed!!!!
thank you
Mwipp

jbalat
10-21-2010, 06:25 AM
Firstly good luck. If you dont succeed in making any savings you will still enjoy working on the project, there is so much to learn (I speak from experience)

The ebay unit looks pretty good if you have a voltage based MAF. You need to find out what your car uses. Mitsubishi and Ford and maybe toyota use frequency based.

If you are studying mech eng then you can make something up yourself. I use a parallax propellor board and you can program it to do whatever you want. It has 32 input/ouput pins and runs 8 seperate CPU's so you can multitask.
Here is a link to a friends board..
http://www.fuel-saver.org/Thread-HHO-woes?pid=31545#pid31545

Some people claim to get saving by using a simple efie only. This changes the AFR across the whole range. If you want to know what the AFR is then you could buy an LC-1 Innovate Motorsports. It is expensive but you can program it and use it as an efie.

If you have a programmable ecu then you really want to go this way since it will give you total control

If you want to understand exactly what you have to aim for to get savings then you absolutely must read this post by Les.
http://www.fuel-saver.org/Thread-Tuning-for-Performance