PDA

View Full Version : new idea

LE5CAV
01-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Just wanted to see if anyone has tried anything like this. Get your thoughts before i build my prototype. Its a cylindrical design. Sense amperage is the same through out a cicuit. im using a constain 8 ci with varring gaps to prevent melt down. the lead core and cooper wrap is to promote better conuctivity. ( in theory ) If it works how i think it will, it should produce between 2 LPM while only using 221sq in. of ss. Id appreciate an adice constructive or otherwise. thanks :D

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/LE5CAV/HHOcorrected.jpg

Saefroch
01-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Copper will oxidize to Copper(II) hydroxide at a potential about .34V, so it is not recommended as an electrode material. I have observed this, and the blue scum is not pretty (and it quickly becomes Copper(II)carbonate away from water, which is green). Adding more material to a resistor won't decrease resistance. If you're trying to prevent corrosion of the lead electrode, just switch to a different material.

Sense amperage is the same through out a cicuit Current is not the same through all circuits, but it is the same at any point in a series circuit, which seems to be what you have here. What gap voltage are you planning for (assuming they have the same resistance, voltage is the same)?

im using a constain 8 ci with varring gaps to prevent melt down. I have no idea at all what you are trying to say here.

A cylindrical design should work and be more efficient than a rectangular, so long as the resistance of each annulus is the same (which I think you accounted for, but I'm too tired to check your math). I see that you have one side of the electrode labeled for "power" and the other, presumably for "ground." Are you planning to run this on AC?

LE5CAV
01-03-2011, 08:25 PM
the cooper does not make contact with the water, its sandwiched between 2 layers of ss, the first is the negative plate, the other is the outter casing. sense SS isnt the best condutor, I thought that wrapping it in cooper would give it a more consistant path to gound across the entire plate.the ground connection acctually penitrates the case and makes contact with the cooper layer. Same concept with the lead core.

the 8 CI refeers to the volume of water per chamber ie equivalent to an 8x8x1/8 stack section. this causes the gaps to decrease as the plates get larger and there for the resistance increase from the larger gaps prevents excessive heating on the smaller plats. ( in theary )

I didnt write it on there but im planning on running on standard 13.8vdc

as for the GND im a VW tech and negative is always refeered to as GND for ground

myoldyourgold
01-03-2011, 11:02 PM
If you make anything close to 2 lpm at 20 amps at 13.8 v I will be amazed. Keep us informed and amaze me.

LE5CAV
01-04-2011, 10:47 AM
If you make anything close to 2 lpm at 20 amps at 13.8 v I will be amazed. Keep us informed and amaze me.

I used the equations you provided in another thread, Im just not sure if they can applied to this design.

I generated the amps based of the sq/in of the negative plate. and by each gap. ie ( AMPS x GAP X (CFMH + CFMO) x 28.3 )

HERES LMP PERGAP
INNER TO OUTTER

G1= 1.4742785
G2= 0.6682153
G3= 0.5079354
G4= 0.4249443
G5= 0.3718634
G6= 0.3341069
G7= 0.1527648

TOTAL = 3.9341086

I do beleave this is wrong, bucuase i cant see generating more off the same volume of water .

I beleive that the equation cannot be applied to a cylindrical design because it is a method of finding volume and that will not be true in this design.

Wouldn't the fomula (volume X 0.5 X 0.0025729 X 28.3) be more appropriate?
If so, the production would be 0.2912522 per division. and 2.0387654 LMP total. the same production as an 8x8x0.125 because they have the same volume.

Im not a know it all thats trying to prove I found the holy grail, I'm just very new (green) when it comes to HHO and Ive found that if you do alittle research and present an idea, its less like that your going to get the ( use the search function ) replies.

myoldyourgold
01-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Im not a know it all thats trying to prove I found the holy grail, I'm just very new (green) when it comes to HHO and Ive found that if you do alittle research and present an idea, its less like that your going to get the ( use the search function ) replies.

LOL That is good. Believe me I did not mean it like that. I do not have all the answers nor does any one other person and there are many others that have a lot more answers than I do. There is something missing in your formula though. I am not a math person and have not given it a lot of thought. I believe you need to take into consideration resistance and since electrolyte does not follow Ohms law that is a problem. You need to test it and report back. I am still sure that it will produce less than 2lpm at 20 amps. I have been wrong many times before and would be very happy to be wrong again in this case. I will study your system a little more and see if I can get a better understanding of how it works. Since it is basically an open bath system, unless I do not understand it, there will be lots of current leakage. Some do not think so but I believe so. Because of this there will be a lot of loss in heat. Try it and report back. New ideas are always welcome.

LE5CAV
01-04-2011, 12:51 PM
I dont know what an open bath system is? ( is this in refeerance to the common plenum at the base?) If so, any thoughts that would curb the voltage leak or make it a closed bath? It is a closed system as fair as atmosphere. Im in Tennessee visiting family right now so I wont beable to make a prototype till later this month. In the meantime Im trying to refine the design as much as possible. for the LMP fumula, what was your elctrolyte solution? Also, in a normal (dry cell) design, when you increase the gap does heat rise or decrease? Thanks for the imput

myoldyourgold
01-04-2011, 01:29 PM
An open bath is where all plates share the same electrolyte including the edges, compared to a "dry cell" (commonly called but not true) where each pair of plates have their own electrolyte and do not share it with other cells. Now that is basic and there are variations of this all over the board. I am interested in the idea of different volume of electrolyte between some plates. It might lead to something. Ideas no matter how far off the wall are worth at least discussing.

jeffp
01-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Most people are using a closed system called a dry cell. Open bath the water flows around the plated, while the dry cell is sealed on the outside area of plates and water flows throught the holes drilled in the plate. Open bath tends to have more current leakage because it can flow past the plates easier.

I was curios how you were going to sandwich the stainless steel around the copper? It seems like a good idea if it can't corrode. I also thought what if a permanent magnent could be sandwiched between plates. I seen some U-tube video where a guy attached strong magnets to the outside and increased his output without increasing his current.

LE5CAV
01-04-2011, 02:52 PM
I was curios how you were going to sandwich the stainless steel around the copper? It seems like a good idea if it can't corrode. I also thought what if a permanent magnent could be sandwiched between plates. I seen some U-tube video where a guy attached strong magnets to the outside and increased his output without increasing his current.

I have a few old starters i plan on harvesting the cooper wides from and wrap the strands until i get the propper diameter, then I'll tach the last sheet and roll it around. then final weild.

If I change the design and the water enters through the central chamberwith holes in each plate to destribute to everyother, will that releave some of the voltage leak or will the common top make it pointless? Its harder to get around a common point for exhausting the gas with the power core in the center.

Maybe slot the top of each plate to kick the gas out toward the case?

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/LE5CAV/HHOcorrected.jpg

thanks

Saefroch
01-04-2011, 04:03 PM
There is no benefit to placing a copper layer inside the stainless steel, the additional path the current must flow through will only increase resistance. But you could make such a copper wire wrapping into an electromagnet...

I do not think what's often on this forum called "current leakage" exists. this thread (http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=6657) may be of interest to you. In any case, in a design like this there is no alternate path for any current to flow that would not produce Hydrogen and Oxygen (unless you assume that it's not flowing from + to -;)) To my knowledge, the term "dry cell" does not apply to the devices used to produce HHO.

I seen some U-tube video where a guy attached strong magnets to the outside and increased his output without increasing his current. It is probably possible to modify current with a magnet, but I would certainly be interested if you could find a link to this video.

negative is always refeered to as GND for ground I think this only applies to AC current, because current flows from + to -. On DC you need a + and a - connection to the power cell. Unless I'm horribly mistaken.

LE5CAV
01-04-2011, 04:42 PM
I think this only applies to AC current, because current flows from + to -. On DC you need a + and a - connection to the power cell. Unless I'm horribly mistaken.

The GND for ground is because Im a Volkswagen Tech and all our Diagrams are in German

Saefroch
01-04-2011, 06:03 PM
GND is ground, certainly. But in a DC circuit (which I think is what you're planning to use) ground has zero potential, unlike in an AC circuit where it is negative.

Are you planning to run AC or DC?

LE5CAV
01-04-2011, 06:15 PM
DC 13.8v I have no plans of trying ac till Ive got i good grasp on a simpler dc setup

LE5CAV
01-04-2011, 07:21 PM
There is no benefit to placing a copper layer inside the stainless steel, the additional path the current must flow through will only increase resistance. But you could make such a copper wire wrapping into an electromagnet...

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/LE5CAV/GROUNDINGFLAT.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/LE5CAV/groundingroundcell.jpg

the electromagnet idea is interresting though

myoldyourgold
01-04-2011, 08:48 PM
That is true there is, what I call a dead zone or week zone right in the center of the plate but it is not as large as you think. The problem is, the alternatives, that I have seen that have tried to eliminate this problem have been very inefficient. Now if your system overcomes other problems and this, then it should be efficient. Theory is good but not necessarily what will really work. Build it and report. You have a big job in front you. It sounds that you are up to it. Go for it.

Saefroch
01-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Ahhhhhhh, the reason I was so skeptical of the copper wrapping is because I had your terminals backwards in my head. I thought you were putting a copper wrapping around the positive terminal in the center. My bad.

There is still not an equal path in all directions though. To get to the negative wire, the current must still flow through more copper to reach the negative terminal. You have offered the current a path with less resistance to travel through, though whether or not this will be any improvement over just the stainless steel I think has to wait for experimentation.

I agree with myoldyourgold. It certainly sounds like you're up to the challenge of building this, and I'm very interested in your results. I have no doubt you'll be able to make a highly effective HHO generator.