PDA

View Full Version : water loss! please help!

ender
07-30-2008, 09:12 PM
I have just Installed my cell and it is consuming water. It used over a quart in just 70 miles. It is not leaking, so where is it going and why??

HYDROTEKPRO
07-30-2008, 09:24 PM
I have just Installed my cell and it is consuming water. It used over a quart in just 70 miles. It is not leaking, so where is it going and why??

Sounds like it was too full to start. Then as it got really warmed up, and the electrolyte expanded (You'd be surprised just how much that liquid expands once your unit gets really warmed up and boiling!!), it then just got sucked into the engine. Or it got sucked into the safety bubbler? You DO have a safety bubbler, right? Then after it cooled down, and the water contracted back to normal size, you could see the large loss of electrolyte.

Maybe it got all foamy too, and that didn't help?

Leave more space for HHO gas and electrolyte expansion in your electrolyzer, don't fill 'er up so high.

Also, your electrolyte solution may be too strong, and you just boiled off the steam (in addition to HHO gas) much too quickly.

Have you done any bench testing in your garage, with your unit hooked up to your car battery with your engine running to simulate real driving conditions?

If you have a foaming issue, go get your Rabies shot:D. No, I'm only joking. If you have a foaming issue, just add ONE or TWO drops of regular diesel fuel to your electrolyte. That's all you need.

ender
07-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Well the water was about three inches from the vents. But the cells are close to my motor and I don't have any insulation around them yet. Can it be that they got too hot. Would this cause a major water loss. In one of my cell (that are 10" tall) it used almost all the water. Was it just too hot? I didn't think it could boil out if it were 8" or 9" form the vent.
And yes I did tests, some... It never boiled over in the tests.

Thanks ALOT. I really need to figure this out.

HYDROTEKPRO
07-30-2008, 10:03 PM
No worries, that's why this forum exists. People helping people, just a natural inclination.

So yeah, it's totally possible that your oven (the space under the hood) got too hot, and helped your unit over-heat. Hard to say without seeing it though. Keep that electrolyzer AWAY from the exhaust manifold, and away from the engine block as much as possible.

Since you didn't mention it, your electrolyzer housing must have held up alright, which is good.

Do you know what thermal run-away is? You may have had that, but again, it's hard to say from here.

Try it again in a cooler place under the hood, if possible. Also try using a new percentage of chemical in your electrolyte. Try 1/4 the amount of chemical you used before in your new electrolyte. These are just educated guesses, over a keyboard, probably thousands of miles away. But now we're all curious. So keep us posted until you get it just how you'd like it to be!

ender
07-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Alright so what is thermal run-away is?

HYDROTEKPRO
07-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Alright so what is thermal run-away is?

When the temperature goes up, the electrolyte becomes more conductive, which allows more current (amps) flows from plate to plate, which produces more HHO gas. It's a self-feeding cycle that just keeps going up and up. This is because each factor contributes to an increase of the others, and one of those factors is temperature. The other factor is current (amps, not voltage). It results in more HHO production, but it's called thermal run-away. It just keeps getting hotter and hotter. Scale back your electrolyte percentage, all other factors kept the same. And maybe leave a little more room for fluid expansion.

ender
07-30-2008, 11:20 PM
well my engine bay doesnt have a good place to put it to keep it cool so what could i do to keep it cool.

HYDROTEKPRO
07-30-2008, 11:37 PM
well my engine bay doesnt have a good place to put it to keep it cool so what could i do to keep it cool.

Then reduce your concentration of electrolyte chemical. Try 1/4 as strong as before. And don't fill 'er up quite so high.

ender
07-30-2008, 11:52 PM
thanks for the help man, have a good one cya.

ender
08-01-2008, 09:18 PM
ok, so i reduced my electrolyte considerably, now my production is almost nothing. I haven't tested long to see if I am still loosing water.

EltonBrandd
08-02-2008, 03:20 AM
ok, so i reduced my electrolyte considerably, now my production is almost nothing. I haven't tested long to see if I am still loosing water.

How many amps are you drawing?