PDA

View Full Version : stop freezing...help?

farmer
01-26-2011, 03:06 PM
hey all..having problems with mr frost. my cell has plates seperated with neoproplene(no spell check please) compressed between 2 plastic plates by bolting all together. with a very cold spell here in sunny ireland my water is freezing and swelling pushing out my spacers until i get a leak. now i've heard ethanol is a good anti-freeze but its very expensive here,£52 for a small bottle, anyone got any bright ideas as its not getting any warmer?

lhazleton
01-26-2011, 04:24 PM
You need to run a higher percentage electrolyte.
Most of us use a 28% KOH solution and a CCPWM to control the amp. draw.
28% (3lbs. of 92% pure KOH flakes per gallon of distilled water) will never freeze or even get slushy.

farmer
01-27-2011, 02:37 PM
thanks for that. i'm presently waiting on a pmw from china..guys round here screw up their faces "whats a pulse width modulator?" so to china on eb@y it was. mine has no fan- the 1 i have coming- should i need one or will stratigic placing be ok ?
thanks again...now wait on courier.

koya1893
01-31-2011, 06:44 PM
While you are waiting try to mix your solution with 25% alcohol. I don't like to have a strong mix, so during the winter months I flush the system and start with winter mixture with alcohol. You need to add some to your bubbler anyway, because that's the only way you can keep it from freezing. Just my 2 cents.

Besides I thought I try to rattle Lee's cages (having a beer).

lhazleton
03-01-2011, 06:23 AM
Ben,
I don't know what you're referring to as far as 'rattling my cage', as everyone knows I'm the most easy going, laid back person in here.:rolleyes:
Actually, I've never used alcohol in my reservoir. Does it actually work?:confused:

myoldyourgold
03-01-2011, 09:21 AM
When it is at or below below -10º F and if you have your reactor mounted in front of the radiator and no radiator cover, you will need all the heat you can make in the reactor and I see no need for a pwm especially on short runs, so you can run high concentrations of electrolyte. You just need to take care of the bubbler. Now if your reactor is in closer to the exhaust manifold and it is -10ºF just watch your amp meter and when it starts drawing more than normal (if it does) shut it off for a little. It cools down real fast in cold weather. In most cases in my experience in very cold weather you can use a 28% mix of KOH or 20% mix of NaOH and not use a PWM with the reactor mounted in the incoming airstream. Now in warmer weather I can see the need for a PWM if your are running full strength electrolyte. :eek:

koya1893
03-02-2011, 05:11 AM
Ben,
I don't know what you're referring to as far as 'rattling my cage', as everyone knows I'm the most easy going, laid back person in here.:rolleyes:
Actually, I've never used alcohol in my reservoir. Does it actually work?:confused:

Lee,

The alcohol work well in both the reservior and the bubbler. Having said that, my new cell requires a higher mixture (3.5lb per gl. of water), which is about the 28% in order to see good production and still not need a PWM

Queamore
07-28-2012, 03:24 AM
Just curious but what about adding a liitle antifreeze to the soulution?

DUG-KOH
07-28-2012, 09:28 PM
I previously posted the freezing point data here:

http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=1598&page=3

This was found from a few "internet sources" and put into one graph

As lhazleton says: add more KOH or NaOH