caps for output. Maybe best is a brandnew
fabricated one that had no acid in yet.

bobsbbq
03-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Take out the sulfuric acid rinse and put in
water with electrolyte. Attach hoses to the
caps for output. Maybe best is a brandnew
fabricated one that had no acid in yet.

Sounds good at first doesn't it? At least from a construction standpoint. But what are you going to do about the lead plates in the Battery? Even if you had the Stainless Steel plates in there there are a lot more things which much be considered like plate gap and configuration, etc.

Now the real danger is what kind of toxic gas do you think the lead and electrolite will produce?

celtic
03-05-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm not a chemist but never heard of any
gasses containing lead. Good pro is
that the carbattery is made for large
currents up to 100A or more and low
resistance so little heat. Could drive
a larger torch. What KOH
or NaHCO3 does to lead I don't know.

Roland Jacques
03-08-2011, 03:11 AM
A car battery is a electrolyser. Sulfuric acid is a electrolyte. It already does produces HHO when charging.

But no, its a poor way to produce HHO the main reason is simply the plate materials.

oicu812
03-08-2011, 04:30 AM
Notice the plate configuration of a car battery! Its a series of cells just like our setup but in a car battery the negetive plate of one cell is connected to the positive plate of the next cell. Each cell is isolated from eachother but connected electrically in series. Totally takes care of stray current issues. But like roland says the plate material( lead oxcide) Isn't the best material for making HHO. I've always wondered if disimilar metals like nickel and titanium (in a KoH electrolyte) in an isolated series cell design like a car battery could act like a battery and when charged with an over-voltage ( 1.75v per cell) a hho generator.

celtic
03-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Charged the kathode is Pb only and the anode
covered with PbO2 and the electrolyte acidic.
Then discharge with the electrolyte replaced
with KOH wil form Pb (2+) and (OH)(-) ions.
Pb(OH)2 dissolves and is an electrolyte.

Zaitsev
05-12-2011, 08:40 PM
I tried that, it created HHO, also, after I removed the power supply it kept going. So apparently it charged the battery. I used Lye as an electrolyte and it turned the water brown.