PDA

View Full Version : Government Regulation

aks1961
03-15-2011, 05:11 AM
Has any one come across any Govt. Regulations controlling HHO generator installation? Does any one know of any rules framed by any authority for installation of HHO generator in Vehicles in their area/country? Has any one faced any regulatory problems with vehicle installed with HHO generator?
We would also like to know if any insurance claim has been denied or accepted for the vehicle installed with HHO generator.
We would like to know if there are any rules or regulation accepting HHO generator installation or defining any rules for HHO generator. We are facing couple of queries as to if HHO is approved by any authority in any country. Please help us to make HHO legal in any country.

oicu812
03-15-2011, 01:38 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but here in New York State, if your running a HHO system and your check engine light comes on you will fail your NYS inspection. If you tamper with any emision control sensors you can be arrested and charged with a crime. If you called your insurance agent and mentioned... " Oh by the way, I'm generating an explosive mix of hydrogen and oxygen under the hood of my car" they'll drop your policy like a hot potatoe.

R&D4me
03-15-2011, 04:05 PM
~~~the hood of my car" they'll drop your policy like a hot potatoe.

Dan.... is that you?? Mr. Quayle?
Mr. Vice President, it's an honor to have you here but we still spell it without an e.

(Sorry guys, I had to ;) )

rcflyn
03-19-2011, 11:19 AM
I can't speak for everyone, but here in New York State, if your running a HHO system and your check engine light comes on you will fail your NYS inspection. .

Last I Knew, In N.Y., if the Light is ON, you'd fail, HHO or Not.....

oicu812
03-19-2011, 12:14 PM
that is correct. In NY if the light is on you fail :( Trying to circumvent the O2 sensors would be tampering and illeagle. In this state if you want to experiment with HHO you have to do it on the sly and disconnect everything before you take it in for its anual inspection. Its a good idea to disconnect everything at least a month in advance and give the computer time to rebuild its stored data. I don't agree with the State but unfortunatly it is what it is. I know its a crappy deal but I'm just trying to answer the guys question honestly .

lhazleton
03-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah, NY sucks with the inspections. It used to be all about safety. Now, you can have a ball-joint ready to fall off and you'll pass as long as the CEL isn't on. Stupid state. I don't disconnect my system for state inspections though. Where I bring my truck they just hook up the computer to the OBD2 port and it passes.:D

myoldyourgold
03-20-2011, 01:31 PM
This warning is posted on some sites that sell HHO stuff. I think it is pretty clear that we are all in violation of making cleaner exhausts and could get fined for it. Now that sucks!!! You would think it would be the other way around.

WARNING: In the U.S.A. or Canada, federal law makes it illegal for ANYONE to tamper with, disconnect, remove or otherwise render inoperative ANY automotive emissions related control device. In general, the entire fuel system and all its individual components (including the EFI ECU) are considered 'emissions related control devices'. The penalties for tampering can be substantial. A violation may make you liable for a fine of $2,500 or even more!

BioFarmer93
03-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Heeheehee...
In Fla. several years ago, the governor's Winnebago failed an emission test and it ****ed him off so much that within one year of that little incident, we no longer have the dreaded inspection in this state...

lhazleton
03-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Just gotta rub it in Gus............:mad:

borescopeit
03-23-2011, 09:00 AM
The files are big, but these are official US DOT, CANADIAN DOT and NASA documents on use and installation of HHO systems on highway equipment.
http://smarthho.org/documents/

reggaerican
06-19-2012, 02:45 AM
my uncle ownes a smog shop in california and told me that he had a customer come in with hho installed in his car. he said it blew threw the test with flying colors but because it did not pass the visual inspection he could not pass the vehicle.. now aint that about a *****. guess the only way to "legaly" install hho on a vehicle in the states is to put it in a pre smog car... skip that im gonna do it anyways:eek: