PDA

View Full Version : My idea

cheesenr7
05-03-2011, 02:56 AM
I have an 09 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 gas. Like everone else im looking to get more mpgs out of her. From everything I have read on this forum its recomended to run anywhere from .5-1 lpm of hho which would put me at about 3-5lpm for my engine size. My question is would my engine benefit from running 10lpm or 15 or even 20 useing a large generator in the bed of my truck. Now obviously this would require alot of electrical energy but my idea is to create a sepearte system from my vehicle. My plan is to run 2-3 deep cycle batteries in my bed. Several are rated to provide 75 amps for around 70 min per battery. Next I plan on trying to devlope a charging system for the batteries either in the bed of my truck or on my garage useing solar panels or wind generators. This idea is still on the drawing board for me. Before I invest the money I wanted to see if my engine can benefit from 10-15 lpm of hho Will my gas milage increase that much more? Useing the sun and wind to power the hho generator makes the possible energy output alot higher and it wont be useing your alternator to make it. One might argue at some point it makes more sence to go to an electric engine and I would have to agree, much more efficent. But for now looking to enhance the ice engine in my truck.

Thanks

keiththevp
05-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Welcome to the forum and thanks for doing your research first and asking direct questions, it makes it much easier to help you.

First off every vehicle is different some will work well with 1LPM and the next will not. So the community came up with the general guide-line of .5LPM per liter of engine displacement. But remember it is a general guide-line and needs to be fine tuned for maximum results.

As far as adding 15 or 20 LPM it can help increase fuel mileage but when you add that much HHO you run into many other problems. You will have major safety concerns making that much HHO. Also for the engine to use that much hho you will need to make major adjustments to the fuel map, timing, and delivery. So if you are new I would start small and work your way up. Then you will understand the true investment it would take to run 20 LPM in your truck.

cheesenr7
05-03-2011, 03:48 PM
thats pretty much what i figured, at 15 lpm it would almost be supplementing the fuel rather than acting as a catalyst. I use to work in a performance shop where we dynoed cars and tuned them and im guessing thats what it would take to run a system like that. Actually the tuning aspect is the only thing that has kept me from building a smaller system for my truck. It seems tuning with an efie and map enhancer is a little like tuning blind. With out knowing the a/f ratio how do you know your not running to lean? On a regualr gasoline engine af ratio if i rember should be in the ball park of 11-1 to 14-1. With added hho is that the range you should still tune to or are you suppose to lean it out more? People that are tunning with efie/map (without a wideband gauge) , are they just trying to match the voltage before hho is added?

keiththevp
05-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Most people that use an efie are going off feel, or if the vehicle shuts down or sputters you have gone too lean.

As far as the a/f ratio at 14 to 1 it should be leaned further depending on the amount of hho you add, but there is no exact formula. If you have access to a cheap reprogram from the shop you worked at then you do have the possibility of adding more hho. I recommend to not lean the fuel at all, just try to get results without leaning the fuel first then you can slowly lean from there. Eventually getting to the point of needing a reprogram because of the amount of hho you are adding.

cheesenr7
05-03-2011, 06:07 PM
ok, i am defently going to try and start smaller and see if I can get milage gains. I have to do more reading about the tuning aspect. I have seen the volo chip which if it works seems like the easiest soultion. It claims to adjust fuel parameters and timing at multiple points in the fuel map of the computer. I am a little skeptical. A 2nd option would to read more about tuning with an efie/map ehancer. My bigest concern with this option is if i can make the motor perform well at idle what happens at different load situations. Example at wide open throttle. The 3rd option would be to take the truck to an experienced tuner with the software to fully adjust all the parameters in the ecu. I myself am not experiecend in tuning a vehicle. I would also have to see if the software is aviable for my truck because it is newer. Usually takes a few years to come out with the software. This is my main means of transportation and cant afford to get it wrong. The whole other aspect I have to consider is it worth blowing my warrant on my truck in an effort to increase gas millage ... thats a whole different topic though lol

Ready_Bunker
05-27-2011, 04:14 AM
Hey what's up...I read your thread and thought maybe you should look into my idea that I posted for everyone to run with. It pertains to a seperate power source that doesnt run on your vehicle's power. titled, "PMA 100% self running" I posted it in the "new idea" thread. We have a dodge ram 1500 too so if you work anything out please let me know thanks! I hope you or anyone else can take this idea and make something out of it.