PDA

View Full Version : A bit nuts, but that's OK.

oldguyhd
05-12-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm new here and have been reading all I can for about 3 months. Will be doing that here too. I'm going to come up with something to put HHO on my 72 Plymouth Cuda. It's at 6.5 L (0.030 over) 383 HP and a 4 speed. Had it up to 23 mpg for years with an over drive. I just want it to run even better and continue to have fun driving it. I know it will need from 3 to 3.5 L HHO per min, so I have a lot of learning to do. Just consider me a "Lurker" until I figure out WHAT I need to ask. No O2's and the only thing electronic is the radio:)
Assistance and advice is always welcome!

koya1893
05-12-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm new here and have been reading all I can for about 3 months. Will be doing that here too. I'm going to come up with something to put HHO on my 72 Plymouth Cuda. It's at 6.5 L (0.030 over) 383 HP and a 4 speed. Had it up to 23 mpg for years with an over drive. I just want it to run even better and continue to have fun driving it. I know it will need from 3 to 3.5 L HHO per min, so I have a lot of learning to do. Just consider me a "Lurker" until I figure out WHAT I need to ask. No O2's and the only thing electronic is the radio:)
Assistance and advice is always welcome!

From one Oldguy to another, your "Cuda" will love you for it. My 1972 LT1 is in heaven sucking 2.5-3lpm HHO. Althoug I am finding out that retarding timing as suggested in the NASA report on the test done in 1977 is not what this 350 likes. it runs smoother and better performance advanced. When I retard the timing the tq is gone at mid range. The dyno still not funtioning so I can't verify the hp and tq on it.

What ever you do, DO NOT go with a a wet cell, there's enough data in here and people to help you build a dry cell for your car. I am sure you will get the help you need and answers to your questions. As you said do more reading on the data already provided. If the question is related to a new cell the answer is in here.
By the way you don't need to build a "monster" of a cell to produce 2-3lpm. I am using two units in the Vette two stack 13 plates, 3" X 5.5",
-NNNNN+NNNNN- -NNNNN+NNNNN-

Running 2 lbs. NaOH per 1 gl. distilled water. They are powered seperately and use a 18" bubbler (Thanks MyOld) with one way check valve. When I have a minute I'll post a photo how I mount the fitting on the aircleaner to direct the HHO to the carb.

oldguyhd
05-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Rest easy, I have no intention of using a wet cell! Got that much figured out in just a couple searches. The timing is going to be an issue as with the big block Mopar. They are set at TDC on the crank and if advanced like a "normal" engine to say 8 to 12 degrees advanced they won't start or run. I will have to look into adjusting the advance weight springs to control it more or an adjustable vacuum advance (if they are still made!).
The engine also makes a lot of heat. Even with an aluminum radiator and a 140 thermostat, city driving is very limited. I predict having to mount the units in front of the radiator behind the grill to get the cooling for them.