PDA

View Full Version : Blowing 30 amp fuses!

Atechguy
08-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Hi! i don't have my amp meter yet to see what i'm drawing current wise , i have 30/ 40 amp relay 30 amp fuse ignition switch , isome days i can drive to a few jobs , without blowing fuse and now it seems to blow quicker maybe the heat causing more amp draw, i have diluted my cell mix and it still does it., not sure what the problem is and until i get a amp meter i spitting in the wind, my multimeter is only good to 10amps, Anybody got a magic bullet??:confused:

Stratous
08-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Hi! i don't have my amp meter yet to see what i'm drawing current wise , i have 30/ 40 amp relay 30 amp fuse ignition switch , isome days i can drive to a few jobs , without blowing fuse and now it seems to blow quicker maybe the heat causing more amp draw, i have diluted my cell mix and it still does it., not sure what the problem is and until i get a amp meter i spitting in the wind, my multimeter is only good to 10amps, Anybody got a magic bullet??:confused:

What size wire are you using? What type of connections are being made at the fuse? Poor connections can cause high current conditions, so can using wire that is too small. If those are not the problem, then dilute your electrolyte solution more.

Atechguy
08-01-2008, 03:24 PM
I am using # 8 gauge ,my connections are excellent , i have a cell from March-Labs i believe it has 50 small plates with no neutrals .Its sold on ebay quality product.:D

Atechguy
08-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Okay drained cell put distilled water in and touch of pure citric acid , and will see if i had to much citric in my cell:rolleyes:.

RMForbes
08-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Try disconnecting your cell and check for shorts between plates. What is thickness of your plates? If they are very thin they may be warping and shorting out when they heat up.

DaneDHorstead
08-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Using #8 wire, 30 Amp possible fuse/breaker, and 50 plates set positive next to negative, in repitition (no neutrals to cool the process) is a recepie for dissaster.

Atechguy
08-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Using #8 wire, 30 Amp possible fuse/breaker, and 50 plates set positive next to negative, in repitition (no neutrals to cool the process) is a recepie for dissaster.

In am getting it under control with this system i barely need any NaOH in my GEN.i finally diluted enough than when i firist start up it is around 5 amps and it is producing pretty good bubbles, as things warm up i hope to keep it under 20 amps. I also have directed some air on to my sell to help cool it.

gizzy
08-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Un fortunately I had a melt down. I kept blowing 30 amp fuses also but, I was only drawing consitantly 11 amps. After a few fuses and my @8 ground wire was smoking. I pulled it, Then shut it down. Then I used jumper cables. I ran it for 10 minutes to see what would be going on. So I was testing voltage and amps. I have a 18 plate generator. Also I use a gallon of distilled water with a teasspoon and a half of KHO. It began dripping out one of the studs. Volts was 10.5v. I can't figure it out. It was producing serious hho, the water or bottle wasn't hot either. Other than the ground smoking after I put a direct current to it. It sounds the same situation as Atechguy. Ant other thoughts? This is a brand new system bought from ebay.

HYDROTEKPRO
08-17-2008, 08:13 PM
In am getting it under control with this system i barely need any NaOH in my GEN.i finally diluted enough than when i firist start up it is around 5 amps and it is producing pretty good bubbles, as things warm up i hope to keep it under 20 amps. I also have directed some air on to my sell to help cool it.

Mummy the cell! Saran Wrap, motorcycle inner tube, whatever, just mummy the cell. And then tie the mummy with rubber bands, zip ties, you get the idea? You've got too much current leaking away, and running all over the place heating things up unnecessarily and wasting amps too.

HYDROTEKPRO
08-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Un fortunately I had a melt down. I kept blowing 30 amp fuses also but, I was only drawing consitantly 11 amps. After a few fuses and my @8 ground wire was smoking. I pulled it, Then shut it down. Then I used jumper cables. I ran it for 10 minutes to see what would be going on. So I was testing voltage and amps. I have a 18 plate generator. Also I use a gallon of distilled water with a teasspoon and a half of KHO. It began dripping out one of the studs. Volts was 10.5v. I can't figure it out. It was producing serious hho, the water or bottle wasn't hot either. Other than the ground smoking after I put a direct current to it. It sounds the same situation as Atechguy. Ant other thoughts? This is a brand new system bought from ebay.

Dude! You had a short. Somewhere, you had a direct, or almost direct connection between your positive and negative battery leads.

You gotta find that short!

Also, if you can post some good, close-up photos, it's easier for us to see wtf is right or wrong. Maybe you got a shitty cell? Maybe not. Maybe you wired it wrong? Maybe not. When water dripped out of one of the studs, did it drip to the other power carrying stud? Was there a tiny little river connecting those two power carrying studs? If so, that was probably your short. But it's hard as f#ck sometimes to tell without a photo, ya know?

Atechguy
08-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Mummy the cell! Saran Wrap, motorcycle inner tube, whatever, just mummy the cell. And then tie the mummy with rubber bands, zip ties, you get the idea? You've got too much current leaking away, and running all over the place heating things up unnecessarily and wasting amps too.

I cannot wrap my cell it is a sealed unit, if i have to add a pwm or another cell in parallel, i will , i think i wll switch cables from 8 to 10 gauge to introduce a little resistance also.

gizzy
08-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Hey I'm thinking the same thing.Like you sais about the studs. That's were it came out of. I'll rip it apart today and see what's going on. It has to be that because I made a small generator and it is working fine. It's a shame what kind of junk people is selling out there. Hey thanks for the reply.

HYDROTEKPRO
08-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Hey I'm thinking the same thing.Like you sais about the studs. That's were it came out of. I'll rip it apart today and see what's going on. It has to be that because I made a small generator and it is working fine. It's a shame what kind of junk people is selling out there. Hey thanks for the reply.

No worries. That's what this forum is for, people helping people!

And after having done all the research and testing that we have done, I'd be VERY careful before buying an HHO system off of EBay. If the seller didn't have a professional company website, I wouldn't buy an HHO system from them. $500.00 for an excellent, rugged, state-of-the-art HHO system that works great is much better than $150.00 for a piece of crap.

I'm sure there must be SOME good units on EBay, I hope your unit is fine and works well.