PDA

View Full Version : How Much HHO?

shaketheroom
06-07-2008, 09:57 PM
How much HHO gas can be added to a gas engine? Is there a formula per liter? Can you inject to much? Is there a ratio of HHO and gas that works best.

Or is this just a big crap shoot of trial and error?

I'm wanting to put a system of series of cells on my truck 6.0 liter. I can't take the 10-11 mpg @$4+ per gallon.

Any imput would be great, Thanks

MIKE

Maybe we could start a thread what works, Liters per hour on what size engine or something similar.

grimr27
06-07-2008, 10:45 PM
hey im finding alote of good vidoes of hho on youtube. from what i have seen it takes 5lpm to run a 2hp lawn mower at idle on 100% hho and 1lpm to run a cutting torch. im not good with math but if you figure out how meny lpm you need to run your truck. im guessing a 6.0liter truck is around 300hp so ill say 750lpm to idel your truck. wow that seems crazy most cells i have seen make about 1.0 to 1.5lpm so you would have to fill the bed of your truck with cells. then some room for batterys. :P just to make it idle. :rolleyes:

shaketheroom
06-07-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm not looking on running on HHO alone at this time. But would like to get a feel for the amount of HHO w/ gas for best results. I haven't found anywhere, a rule of thumb or ratio on what works best, how much is too much, or a sweet spot to shoot for.

Stratous
06-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Actually it wouldnt take that much to run your truck. If you heat the gas before injecting it into your manafold it would take substancially less as the HHO expands when its heated. Also, I would imagine that your truck is way more efficient than the lawn mower.

realitycheque
06-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Can you use a car battery as a generator?

Stratous
06-08-2008, 12:23 AM
U could yes, but the lead plates inside the battery wouldnt last very long.

realitycheque
06-08-2008, 12:30 AM
OK so what happens to the O2 when you separate it from the hydrogen? Would it not make more sense to burn the O2? Or am I missing something? I could be totally overlooking the obvious...:p

realitycheque
06-08-2008, 12:35 AM
Where can I find decent schematics on how to build a generator?

Stratous
06-08-2008, 12:38 AM
When you split the water it breaks down to HHO gas. Both the hydrogen and oxygen are then injected into your intake. There are several schematics online that you can view, there is a link in these forums someplace that has a very good tutorial. Its actually very simple to build a system.

realitycheque
06-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Ok that makes sense. So it's a combination of hydrogen and oxygen. IM me if you get a chance, I have a lot of questions and I hope that someone can help me answer them. I will look around for that schematic. Thanks again.

spam
07-02-2008, 05:50 PM
I have been doing my research, and no one seems to address the basic question of how much. Seems like around 1 liter of gas per minute is about right for about 2 to 2.5 L of displacement. Does that sound right?

Also the amount of gas would be directly related to RPM.

Is there an optimal amount of gas for a 5.9 liter Dodge ram? At 70 MPH, would it run as efficiently using the same 1 liters/min running at around 1500 rpm - as would my Mazda B2300 running at 3000 rpm?

Stratous
07-02-2008, 07:05 PM
I have been doing my research, and no one seems to address the basic question of how much. Seems like around 1 liter of gas per minute is about right for about 2 to 2.5 L of displacement. Does that sound right?

Also the amount of gas would be directly related to RPM.

Is there an optimal amount of gas for a 5.9 liter Dodge ram? At 70 MPH, would it run as efficiently using the same 1 liters/min running at around 1500 rpm - as would my Mazda B2300 running at 3000 rpm?

Actually, I run a 5.9 liter Ram. My output is ~1.5 LPM. I have noticed an increase of 7 MPG. I believe 2LPM would be better, but your going to need more than one Generator to accomplish that. Most people actually create less than 1LPM and still see gains. In a small unit 1LPM is easily done, but not easily sustainable for any length of time.

Phantom240
07-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Why is it hard to sustain that?

spob
07-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Heat will kill a small system fast. If you could run with a resevoir and find a way to circulate it, then you could actively cool the system.

Stratous
07-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Why is it hard to sustain that?

My deffinition of a "small system" doesnt contain active cooling. Hence why I say its difficult to maintain a 1LPM output. I am not saying it cant be done, it just involves more than just a mason jar genny normally without some sort of method to cool the liquid.

ELECTR0N3RD
07-03-2008, 03:28 AM
What if someone could get ahold of say quarter inch thick SS with demensions of say 3 feet by 4 feet, and have them stacked up vertically (sides facing up) of 20 or so plates and running power off of the alternator? would this work to power a car?, also run the line to the fuel line or fuel pump or something, this would fit in my trunk, or better yet use a pickup truck and make one large enough to fit in the bed and use an extremely large altenator to power it, does any one know if this is too far fetched? just a thought.

Aximili
07-04-2008, 10:56 AM
both the H2 and O2 are combusted, that is why it is nesessary to 'adjust' your oxygen sensor, so that your engine does not pump more fuel to compensate

dennis13030
07-04-2008, 11:07 AM
What if someone could get ahold of say quarter inch thick SS with demensions of say 3 feet by 4 feet, and have them stacked up vertically (sides facing up) of 20 or so plates and running power off of the alternator? would this work to power a car?, also run the line to the fuel line or fuel pump or something, this would fit in my trunk, or better yet use a pickup truck and make one large enough to fit in the bed and use an extremely large altenator to power it, does any one know if this is too far fetched? just a thought.

I am thinking about doing this type of unit. I'm not really too interested in fitting it to my car at this time. However I do want to test some theories with it.

Theories To Test
1. With a large amount of active surface area and low power in, can I get good production? Surface area hmmm... lets say more than 50,000 sq. in. Power hmmm...let's say under 100W, production hmmm...let's say 5-10 L/m.
2. Effects of plate spacing.
3. Effects of using a constant current source.
4. Effects of using neutral plates.
5. Effects of using different types of water.
6. Effects of using different types of electrolyte additives.
7. Temperature effects.
8. Effect of using various Voltages and currents.
9. Use of AC and DC.
10. Effects of using different types of plates.

volomike
07-04-2008, 11:37 AM
That's the ticket, Dennis. Be more scientific about this. Workbench it and share your results. That's what we're planning to do. (Been so busy with our day jobs, though, for now.)

joshsbrain
07-04-2008, 06:14 PM
wow, this is my new favorite place on the internet...We should all just get together like one of those govmt think tanks and start a HHOCORP. lol

dennis13030
07-05-2008, 02:11 AM
That's the ticket, Dennis. Be more scientific about this. Workbench it and share your results. That's what we're planning to do. (Been so busy with our day jobs, though, for now.)

All that is holding me back is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

And thanks Volomike.

dennis13030
07-05-2008, 02:15 AM
wow, this is my new favorite place on the internet...We should all just get together like one of those govmt think tanks and start a HHOCORP. lol

HHOCORP.............Hmmmmmm I suggested an Association that meets annually in Vegas. Don't know what we would call ourselves.........

SmoothieV
07-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Dennis, way to go! I can't wait to hear your more "scientific" results. I don't think there's any good way to simulate the heat of the engine, but if you can get the heat of your unit down then that'll match well with engines as long as we keep the generator as far away from it as possibl!

dennis13030
07-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Dennis, way to go! I can't wait to hear your more "scientific" results. I don't think there's any good way to simulate the heat of the engine, but if you can get the heat of your unit down then that'll match well with engines as long as we keep the generator as far away from it as possibl!

Please, don't hold your breath on this. At the moment, I am between jobs. All my $$$ is solely going to bills. I will continue this lab work as the $$$ situation improves.

Thanks SmoothieV