PDA

View Full Version : So let me see...

hooty
06-07-2008, 11:19 PM
If I understand this correctly as I sit down to look at different designs (without going to those sites that promise huge percentage returns if you just buy their PDF file for 10-11-12-13-14-15 dollars....I'm sure they are good, but I guess I see that this is something I should be able to figure out at least the basics of first). Sorry if I am rehashing, I just like to be accurate (I don't have to be right, just accurate). And bear with me, I'm not a scientist, I just like to know how it functions on a basic level.

Essentially, from what I know and understand, that making HHO gas is basically taking H2O, a non-flammable substance in itself, and breaking the chemical bond to separate it in to 2 hydrogen atoms and 1 oxygen atom which individually are combustible. This is accomplished by using a "purer" form of water (without additional suspended minerals) and adding an electrolytic substance (epsom salts, or baking soda as other trials have found) to be dissolved in to the water.

The chemical bond is broken by applying sufficient energy in the form of electricity to the molecule, releasing the atoms in form of a gas. The gas is then harvested and directly injected in to the intake path of the engine where the hydrogen helps the combustion in the chamber burn hotter and and faster (thus releasing more energy at the peak potential of the compression as it starts downward) and this results in needing less fuel to achieve the same resulting power and this is where the fuel savings comes in to play.

And it's my further understanding that on a vehicle that is equipped a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor, the sensor needs to be fooled to think that there is more fuel in the burn mix than there really is, and that the O2 sensor(s) need to be fooled to think that the mix is richer than it is (thus allowing the engine to burn less fuel for the same power in theory).

I understand too that some of the gas may be in the form of water vapor in the cylinders and act as a steam cleaning and to help cool off the cylinders as well.

One question though, and this is a basic one. After Hydrogen and Oxygen are burned, what is left as an 'exhaust' from the burning? This has pondered me (as I know that regular fuel has left over fuel vapor and unburned/unburnable parts of the fuel mixture that are expelled as exhaust, some later to be reignited in the catalytic converter.
Am I pretty on track here for the basics of how and why? Or do I really need to shut up and take a chemistry course? (Something I've avoided my whole life amazingly....)

-Hooty

Stratous
06-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Water is whats left, after the atoms "burn" they recombine as water and are ejected out of your tail pipe.

hooty
06-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Thank you :D

-Hooty