PDA

View Full Version : Tantalum plates?

Ianebeggs
08-04-2011, 01:47 AM
I haven't seen any discussion about Tantalum plates. Its supposed to be virtually impervious to anything below 300°f. I figure with a KOH electrolyte this should be the ultimate combo. I can't speak for cost but if that's not a factor...

myoldyourgold
08-04-2011, 12:21 PM
I haven't seen any discussion about Tantalum plates. Its supposed to be virtually impervious to anything below 300°f. I figure with a KOH electrolyte this should be the ultimate combo. I can't speak for cost but if that's not a factor...

It is my understanding that a base (potassium hydroxide) attacks Tantalum and dissolves it. A hard substance that has good resistance to most acids but not bases as I remember. I guess it would work if you used an acid as an electrolyte. Tantalum is a very good conductor of electricity and can withstand a lot of heat. I do not think it is practical in a brute force reactor.

Ianebeggs
08-05-2011, 03:10 AM
I found this online and that's why I brought it up:

"...Tantalum is almost completely immune to chemical attack at temperatures below 150°C, and is attacked only by hydrofluoric acid, acidic solutions containing the fluoride ion, and free sulphur trioxide. The element has a melting point exceeded only by tungsten and rhenium."

(http://www.webelements.com/tantalum/)

Now, I don't know what any of that means but it sure sounds like it should work for HHO.

myoldyourgold
08-05-2011, 01:11 PM
The metal is renowned for its resistance to corrosion by acids; in fact, at temperatures below 150 °C tantalum is almost completely immune to attack by the normally aggressive aqua regia. It can be dissolved with hydrofluoric acid or acidic solutions containing the fluoride ion and sulfur trioxide, as well as with a solution of potassium hydroxide. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantalum

There seems to be some conflicting information which is not unusual and maybe the answer would be to test a couple of small pieces.