PDA

View Full Version : UniPolar design's WHICH IS THE BEST

j oops
08-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Newbie.

Been reading about the different HHO generators out there and have been very impressed so far with the Unipolar design.
I would like to hear from everyone who has made a Unipolar HHO generator and how their design is working.

From what I'm understanding so far the Unipolar design appears to have less issues and is more reliable, efficient and does not require a PWM to operate.
I would like to build one and install it on my 01 Dodge diesel. I believe from what I read the diesel seem to get the best mpg with a HHO producing 1LPM. I would be looking at an HHO generator that at least produces 6LPM.
I'm trying to also figure out what is the best spacing between plates (gasket thickness) I've read all kinds of different studies from .70 thousands to 3mm and thicker. Does this change when dealing with a Unipolar design? Does gasket thickness effect the individual cell voltage and amperage? It makes sense that it would if different spacing results in more or less production.
Any advice would be very helpful and your time will be very much appreciated.

myoldyourgold
08-05-2011, 12:51 PM
From what I'm understanding so far the Unipolar design appears to have less issues and is more reliable, efficient and does not require a PWM to operate.
I would like to build one and install it on my 01 Dodge diesel. I believe from what I read the diesel seem to get the best mpg with a HHO producing 1LPM. I would be looking at an HHO generator that at least produces 6LPM.
I'm trying to also figure out what is the best spacing between plates (gasket thickness) I've read all kinds of different studies from .70 thousands to 3mm and thicker. Does this change when dealing with a Unipolar design? Does gasket thickness effect the individual cell voltage and amperage? It makes sense that it would if different spacing results in more or less production.
Any advice would be very helpful and your time will be very much appreciated.

Bio I think I will let you answer most of this. I will just make a couple comments. One of the advantages of the unipolar design is the ability to increase reactive surface area without having to add another stack of 6 plates or what ever the number of bipolar plates you are using in a stack and still maintain a given voltage between pairs. The unipolar is not limited in the number of pairs in a group. The bipolar setup is limited to the number of pairs in the stack. Hope that makes sense. The only possible down side of the Unipolar setup is the connections. If these are not perfect then it defeats the whole thing. Bipolar setups only has 2 power plates per stack where a unipolar setup has many more which can work for you or against you.

Now as far as all the other questions I will just say that I have not found any real differences as far as needing a pwm, spacing or anything else when comparing the unipolar setup to a bipolar setup.

There does seam to be a slight advantage when done right as far as production goes but is very small at best. Faraday's law still applies to both setups. Other things like plate design, gasket size, port insulation etc, and anything else which helps gas exit faster and prevent current leakage will give results that are more dramatic and measurable and apply to both unipolar and bipolar setups pretty much the same.

I think that Bio will be able to contribute more to this.

j oops
08-06-2011, 09:51 AM
How much lpm did you end up with in the end with your unipolar design?
How or what did you do to make the connections work or what would you recommend to try for making better connections on the unipolar design?

I'm slow with math. How big should my plate size be to get the targeted 6 lpm?

myoldyourgold
08-06-2011, 12:35 PM
How much lpm did you end up with in the end with your unipolar design?
How or what did you do to make the connections work or what would you recommend to try for making better connections on the unipolar design?

I'm slow with math. How big should my plate size be to get the targeted 6 lpm?

I use brass machine screws and brass nuts to make the connections. LPM depends on the size of the unit both plate size and number of plates in a group. Research Bio's setup and follow his lead. First find out how much space you have unless you are going to put it in the bed of the truck and build the units to fit the space. You will need minimum 15 and maximum 20 square inches of active surface area on one side of one plate to achieve your goal. It can be done with smaller reactors but they will not be as efficient. Each group is basically a separate reactor but in series with the other groups. Again follow Bio's lead. You will need minimum of 6 groups but not more than 7 groups in series.

Space is the biggest problem. Do a search for Unipolar on this forum and you will find a lot of good information posted by Bio.

Darrell
09-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Myold, I saw your post in regards to plate size being between 15 and 20 square inches on either side. Just curious to know why bigger plates couldn't be used and just less of them in each cell stack. Is this related to flow in each cell?

"D"

myoldyourgold
09-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Myold, I saw your post in regards to plate size being between 15 to 20 square inches on either side. Just curious to know why bigger plates couldn't be used and just less of them in each cell stack. Is this related to flow in each cell?

The reason I recommended the 15 to 20 square inches of active area is because of my use of 1/8 inch gaskets in the larger reactors that are producing more gas compared with 1/16 for smaller reactors producing less gas. This gives you a more efficient path to get the gas out, more gas bigger gap.

When you increase the size of the plate there are other problems like places to put them and resistance in the plates. The resistance will have a direct relation on efficiency. You want to keep the plates as small as possible yet not so small that the amount of gas you are needing can not be made with them without increasing heat and shortening the life of the plates. This is one of the advantages of media blasting. You can then keep the size the same and produce more gas by increasing the amps with no extra heat. It really would be better to have a bunch of smaller reactors than one big one. It has to be sized exactly right for the application. A balance between gas flow, resistance of the plates, space available and the needed amount of HHO is what you aim for to get the maximum efficiency.

koya1893
09-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Myold, I saw your post in regards to plate size being between 15 and 20 square inches on either side. Just curious to know why bigger plates couldn't be used and just less of them in each cell stack. Is this related to flow in each cell?

"D"

Don't mean to HIJACK this post by being sociable. Darrell I noticed your sig from Prtland OR. What part? I grew up there (NE side Grant High School area) before I raised my right hand to uncle sam (22 yrs Naval Service).

Darrell
09-24-2011, 10:55 AM
I live in Gresham and went to high school in Oregon City. Small world...