PDA

View Full Version : Toyota pick up/4runner 80s 22R

hypertek
09-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Has anyone done the 22R toyota pick ups/4runner ? Im looking at selling my blazer for a 84-88 toyota truck or 4runner 4x4. I know with lifts and bigger tires really affects the mpg, just looking to squeeze the most mpg if I get one. I didnt find too much info on them..

Also the 84 model is carbureted, 85 introduced efi.

myoldyourgold
09-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Does it have an O2 sensor? This is important some 1984's especially California ones did.

hypertek
09-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Yeah i believe they do and have maf sensors on the 85+

I dont know about 84 if it has o2 sensor, but has the carburetor typical round air cleaner
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2070/1978081973_90f19ae5c1.jpg

myoldyourgold
09-13-2011, 06:06 PM
I have an 84 with an O2 sensor and a carburetor, that is why I am asking. Two different ways to get good results from the same 22r. The 02 sensor is located right where the header and the pipe joins. You can't miss it if you have one. Everything else looks exactly the same. Let me know.

hypertek
09-13-2011, 06:47 PM
oh ok, did you do an hho setup on it? Do you have any threads about your setup?

I am really looking forward to trying to pick up a lifted 4runner, just whatever year I find and wanted to see if gains are easily doable or if doing o2 spacers and efie things need to be done.

myoldyourgold
09-13-2011, 07:25 PM
No threads on my truck. Any of the 22r carb version without the 02 sensor have been able to get 35 to 40 MPG. The fuel injected ones get about 25% to 30% gains but require an EFIE. At least that is my experience or information from some one I know. Every car has its own challenges even if they are brand new. No two work exactly the same. There are other things like water injection and the use of negative ions/ozone and other methods when combined with the HHO get you well over these figures. Just depends if you want to futz with it. The more you do the more you get. LOL My truck is all experimental and the data would not apply. I can say this it will pass all gas station in a 630 mile run easily.

hypertek
09-13-2011, 10:14 PM
that sounds good, very encouraging =)

thanks

If I get the vehicle, I will be sure to document it here.

Darrell
09-14-2011, 02:44 AM
I should of never sold my 1980 toyota with the 22r carb. Live and learn i guess....

D

hypertek
09-15-2011, 10:30 PM
do you guys think the carbureted engines will be easier to setup to hho than the fuel injection models? I see a sweet 84 carbureted model on craigslist right now, wondering if that will be a headache to set up? i already got plan ideas for my hho setup. In the ad, the guy claims he is getting about 18mpg, truck is lifted.. figured a HHO setup would do wonders for that truck.

Darrell
09-16-2011, 07:58 AM
You Bet! Carb engines are much easier than fuel injection. A small timing adjustment and the carb adjustment is basically all that's needed with the right amount of hho. There author mods that can be done to get further increases too. Maybe One of these guys could share what they have done. I am not the expert.

D

hypertek
09-16-2011, 03:13 PM
wow that sounds cool, ok hopefully i sell my blazer real fast, http://i54.tinypic.com/2lxxmch.jpg It is cool, i just want a 4x4..

So far there is a 89 4runner I want to try to shoot for, and then there is a 87 turbo that i would also shoot for, and then there is a really sweet 84 carburated single cab pickup with a nice lift that is for sale he got some goodies on it too like headers etc. .

The vehicles I am looking at are lifted and im sure getting less than 20mpg, i figure with hho can bring em back up to decent mpg.

koya1893
09-17-2011, 09:58 PM
do you guys think the carbureted engines will be easier to setup to hho than the fuel injection models? I see a sweet 84 carbureted model on craigslist right now, wondering if that will be a headache to set up? i already got plan ideas for my hho setup. In the ad, the guy claims he is getting about 18mpg, truck is lifted.. figured a HHO setup would do wonders for that truck.

After IRENE work got intensed, back to your question. Carborated ICE are more a pain in the rear than newer ECU ran ICE. Temp will come into play and knowing how to adjust your timing, not at the stand setting but at the "all In" setting. I hope you know what "All in" timing setting is. If not, that's when the vacuum and mechanical made their adjustment and no matter how much the throttle is press, timing will not climb anymore.

But the stock timing will come to play and can be used to determined your "All In", it is in this range you will determined just how much you need to retard it. My 72 LT1, for it to run efficient the "All In" is 36 degreed BTC. The stock timing is 4 degrees BTC, that's a 26 degree all in timing, the car does not have much tq at that setting with HHO being induced. At 36 degree All In which is at 10 BTC the car has hp and tq in all rpm range and fast accell rate. But the temp is higher. This is with a small carb (650 CFM), when I get my shop back I am re-building the stock carb (750 cfm). Then get back on my test. My conclusion is with carborated ICE, they act like air cooled engine like a V-twin, they need the fuel to help cool engine, hence why I am going back to the bigger carb for the LT1.

hypertek
09-18-2011, 03:55 AM
wow I am really learning alot reading about this, I may end up going with a fuel injected model as carburated is hard to find.

Now I am looking at efie and map/maf sensor enhancers.. I can see myself playing with a sensor enhancer as my personal interest is in tuning cars (my other cars have been tuners), but i can only see that working well with a wideband o2 sensor/gauge as it can really screw things up if the setting is wrong.

What type of lpm goal I should aim for in my drycell design? I read that 1lpm is typical? Will that be suffiencent? and can somebody point towards a efie that is low costing? I am kind of looking at ebay at pwm.