PDA

View Full Version : just EFIE or adjust all the sensors?

HydroJim
10-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Hello, I haven't been in the forums much lately because I was busy with baseball since last february, and now that it is cold here in cleveland, I only have practice a few times a week(indoors of course) so I'm going to start working on putting an electrolyzer into my "new to me" car. I recently purchased a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 with 85,000 miles, so it will be the perfect candidate for my dry cell.

I'm obviously going to need to un trick the computer so that I'm not running a rich mixture. I've tried Volo's in the past with some success, but I'm looking for more aggressive gains.

So which EFIE do you recommend?
This one will just adjust both of my O2 sensors
http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/digital-narrowband-series/dual-digital-efie

This one will adjust all of my different sensors and it has a start up delay until the car reaches a certain temperature. I'm not sure if this is necessary because I thought cars start up in open loop anyway. Please correct me if I'm wrong there.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-MODEL-TUNING-101-AFR-CONTROL-HHO-HYDROGEN-GENERATOR-EFIE-MAF-MAP-IAT-CTS-/250912183358?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3874808889803920127

It seems like I would see more gains from the Tuning 101 AFR Center, but do you think these gains would be worth the extra $160.

Thank you,
Jim

HydroJim
11-02-2011, 06:13 PM
I searched for digital EFIE and everything I found was more expensive. Do you have a link the EFIE that you are talking about?

lhazleton
11-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Hey Jimmy,
Good to see you're still around.
The link above that Mike posted is your best bet.:)

HydroJim
12-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I've been busy with driver's ed, school, and baseball. Christmas break comes up next week and I'll be working on my car and I just remembered I forgot to order my EFIE so I'll be ordering one this weekend. Looks like the one mike posted is my best bet just like you said.

Olympiadis
02-12-2012, 12:29 AM
This one will adjust all of my different sensors and it has a start up delay until the car reaches a certain temperature. I'm not sure if this is necessary because I thought cars start up in open loop anyway. Please correct me if I'm wrong there.

I am late here, but hopefully can add some useful info.

Cars do start up in open-loop and the amount of time that passes between start-up and closed-loop mode varies with individual PCM calibrations, and with temperature conditions.

On cold start-up the O2 sensor's output is sluggish and there are not enough cross-counts (voltage modulations) to meet the PCM's calibration threshold for closed-loop operation. Some EFIEs will simulate a warm and active O2 sensor as soon as turned on, and the PCM will go into closed-loop operation too quickly for conditions. This can cause rough running or the engine to die if it is still too cold. The main fueling table used for closed-loop is much leaner than the open-loop fueling table.

Every engine is a little different, but a general rule is that after a cold-start you want your coolant temp to be at least 100*F before you can start running any leaner than the open-loop fueling calibration.

Being able to trick the other sensors can come in handy for certain situations, and can reduce the triggering of AE- Acceleration Enrichment, and PE- Power Enrichment, but the final say on steady-state fueling is determined by O2 output, so that's where your best gains will be.

By the way, we have a 2003 Focus that has been a project FE car for a few years, though no HHO system as of yet. I have been working with it for a while now. Let me know if I can offer any tips or info about something in particular.