PDA

View Full Version : Need help with EFIE on 2003 Dodge Ram 5.7L

superbee383
08-03-2008, 09:44 PM
I put together an EFIE from PDF D17 file with Chemelec corrections.
The circuit bench tested fine. My Truck has a 4 wire O2 sensor. Two heater wires, signal and signal return. When I connect the circuit's (EFIE)ground to the o2 ground, the check engine light will come on. So I connected the circuit's ground to 12v ground. The LED will come on, but I don't see the LED flashing, just steady on. Also, if I turn the EFIE on right after I start the truck, the check engine light will come on. If I wait until the computer goes into closed loop and then turn on the EFIE, the check engine light will not turn on.
I did not believe this EFIE is working correctly.
Has anyone built this EFIE and having it work?
What about the output from the EFIE that connects to the computer, when the rotary switch is turned to lean, is the output voltage suppose to change from 1volt?
I appreciate anybody help.

JonDoh
08-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Hey Superbee..... would you email me a schematic for the EFIE you just built? Sorry I can't help you.... I don't know nothing bout EFIE's (YET) but I need one.... if you don't mind sharing?........

superbee383
08-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Hey Superbee..... would you email me a schematic for the EFIE you just built? Sorry I can't help you.... I don't know nothing bout EFIE's (YET) but I need one.... if you don't mind sharing?........
JonDoh,
I'll send you everything I got for the EFIE as soon as I get home tonight. I'm at work now.

Painless
08-04-2008, 11:26 AM
I put together an EFIE from PDF D17 file with Chemelec corrections.
The circuit bench tested fine. My Truck has a 4 wire O2 sensor. Two heater wires, signal and signal return. When I connect the circuit's (EFIE)ground to the o2 ground, the check engine light will come on. So I connected the circuit's ground to 12v ground. The LED will come on, but I don't see the LED flashing, just steady on. Also, if I turn the EFIE on right after I start the truck, the check engine light will come on. If I wait until the computer goes into closed loop and then turn on the EFIE, the check engine light will not turn on.
I did not believe this EFIE is working correctly.
Has anyone built this EFIE and having it work?
What about the output from the EFIE that connects to the computer, when the rotary switch is turned to lean, is the output voltage suppose to change from 1volt?
I appreciate anybody help.

Perhaps I'm reading your post wrong, but doesn't the RAM have 2 pre-CAT O2 sensors? Have you included both of them in a circuit? If not, this may be why the computer is throwing it's toys out of the playpen?

superbee383
08-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Perhaps I'm reading your post wrong, but doesn't the RAM have 2 pre-CAT O2 sensors? Have you included both of them in a circuit? If not, this may be why the computer is throwing it's toys out of the playpen?
I only seen one O2 sensor before the catalytic converter. But, I will check again. I hope you are right because that would solve my problems.
I'll let you know.

superbee383
08-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Painless,

There is only one O2 sensor before the catalytic converter

Painless
08-05-2008, 08:10 AM
Superbee,

Been thinking this over this morning, I did some googling and you're right, there is only one pre-cat o2 sensor so that isn't the issue.

Perhaps your next step should be to get yourself a voltmeter and check out the kind of signal you are getting a) with just the 02 sensor and HHO gen off (no EFIE) then b) with the EFIE in place and HHO gen on. Compare the two signals and see if there are any huge differences. This should help you decide if your circuit is OK or not. Seems to me that your computer is sensing that something isn't right.

Russ.

Painless
08-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Superbee,

Did you get anywhere with your problem?

superbee383
08-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Superbee,

Did you get anywhere with your problem?
Painless,

I did check the voltages from 12v gnd to the O2 sensor and was getting a reading from 2.5v to 3.5v. On the EFIE, I replaced the 1m ohm resistor that connects the O2 input to a 10m ohm resistor. On the output of the EFIE, they use a 10k pot which connects between two diodes. I moved the pot connection to the upper diode so that it would output up to 4v.
The EFIE is working ok now, but will still turn on the sensor light if the EFIE is turned on before closed loop operation.

Painless
08-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Glad to hear you are getting somewhere, sounds like you need some kind of timer circuit to hold back on switching your EFIE on.

Even though I haven't gotten to this stage yet, I've been giving a lot of thought to whether or not EFIE's are using the proverbial sledge hammer to crack a walnut.

I got thinking about taking a simple 1.5v AA battery and linking it in series with the output from the O2 sensor and then running the results through a 10k pot. The idea would be to have a voltage meter on the end and simply adjust the pot until we are only increasing the overall voltage as required. Sounds like it would be much simpler, if it works out good then voltage regulators could be used to switch the AA battery for the vehicles supply.

dennyk159
08-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Painless
Are talking about something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Me3tLO3btw

It seems easy enough, & uses a AA battery like you were talking about...

Painless
08-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking about!

Good to see that others are experimenting with it.

Sockfilter
08-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Painless,

I did check the voltages from 12v gnd to the O2 sensor and was getting a reading from 2.5v to 3.5v. On the EFIE, I replaced the 1m ohm resistor that connects the O2 input to a 10m ohm resistor. On the output of the EFIE, they use a 10k pot which connects between two diodes. I moved the pot connection to the upper diode so that it would output up to 4v.
The EFIE is working ok now, but will still turn on the sensor light if the EFIE is turned on before closed loop operation.

Just a thought, when you start your engine cold, the O2 sensor should be in a Open Loop, rich condition, maybe that is what the ECU is expecting to see untill the O2 sensor reaches the 600f temp to close the loop and engine settles back down to idle, in which the ECU expects to see varying O2 readings from 0.1 to 0.9..

Thus the reasons for check engine lights being thrown before the O2 closes the circuit??

Just a thought,

Sock

superbee383
08-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Painless,

Yes, I think using a battery is a good idea.
Also, I need to increase the capacitance in my EFIE. The timer needs to be at least 30 seconds. This should take care of the check engine light problem.
I was thinking of using a precision 5v regulator or even a 1.2v reference regulator with the vehicles 12v system. This would take care of the charging system changing the voltages up and down.

moore6649
08-29-2008, 06:37 AM
I have tried that, what I ran into was that when the current ran flat for a while the ecu went into trouble mode and reverted to the lookup tables ignoring the voltage altogethe

93 ford f150 5.0l

theramsey3
11-09-2008, 01:17 PM
I have tried that, what I ran into was that when the current ran flat for a while the ecu went into trouble mode and reverted to the lookup tables ignoring the voltage altogethe

93 ford f150 5.0l

i have a question for you did you wire the efie in a series or parallell