PDA

View Full Version : Potassium Hydroxide well known as?

jazmie
08-04-2008, 04:24 AM
i do research in internet and get this:-
A caustic white solid, KOH, used as a bleach and in the manufacture of soaps, dyes, alkaline batteries, and many potassium compounds. Also called caustic potash, lye; Also called potash.

i hard to buy this pure KOH,my question is can i use bleach and mix it with water as my electrolyte that sell in the market to clean and make our cloth white that we always use?ist any side effect or dangereous?

tq

ridelong
08-04-2008, 07:58 AM
No. Chlorine is not potassium hydroxide. Do not use bleach.

BoyntonStu
08-04-2008, 01:14 PM
No. Chlorine is not potassium hydroxide. Do not use bleach.

He did not say that KOH is chlorine bleach.

He said that KOH can bleach.

He was correct.

BoyntonStu

daveczrn
08-04-2008, 05:52 PM
i dont really get what he's asking?

jazmie
08-04-2008, 09:29 PM
sorry for that...

the simple question can i use bleach as my electrolyte or can u suggest me what item(any consumer product) that i can use that easy to find to use as electrolyte?

can pure KOH i hard to find in my place

LinChiek
08-04-2008, 09:51 PM
instead of KOH, u can use NaOH (sodium hydroxide)....

maybe u can contact the sales person from http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/ in ur country...... :D

c02cutter
08-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Lye is sodium hydroxide, go by lye. Lye can be found from the corner hardware(if the still exist) or just google it as it is an ingredient for soap.

jazmie
08-04-2008, 10:02 PM
tq all ur info.....

jazmie
08-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Lye is sodium hydroxide, go by lye. Lye can be found from the corner hardware(if the still exist) or just google it as it is an ingredient for soap.

mean if i use soap can?bath soap or what?sorry noob here

LinChiek
08-05-2008, 12:37 AM
mean if i use soap can?bath soap or what?sorry noob here
the amount of lye in bath soap is very little.... LOL

make ur own lye....

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Lye

ridelong
08-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Jazmie,

Sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide can be purchaced from
AAAchemicals.com 281-841-6987

bigapple
08-08-2008, 12:21 AM
potash (KOH) is used in making soap and lye (NaOH) is used as a drain cleaner... i bought a bottle of it from ace... it was called "rooto"... make sure u get the 100% crystalized lye and not draino... draino is mostly lye but the other additives will dirty up ur generator... make sure to have a bottle of vinegar handy whereas its 5% acidity can neutralize any lye or potash spillage on ur body... itll singe ur skin if u let it sit there and water wont do as well to clean it off as vinegar does... check in any drain cleaner isle of a hardware store... lowes and home depot have them as well

jazmie
08-11-2008, 01:43 AM
my prob solved by all ur info bro....tq a lot

Tkyn10
08-12-2008, 12:11 PM
You can buy it on Ebay , cheap, I got 10 lbs for oh around 8$$
Type in KOH, sodium hydroxide, or potassium hydroxide, ect ect it comes up. :D
I also noticed alot of this stuff we are talking about is used in making Biofuels as in biodiesel.

bigapple
08-12-2008, 04:49 PM
You can buy it on Ebay , cheap, I got 10 lbs for oh around 8$$
Type in KOH, sodium hydroxide, or potassium hydroxide, ect ect it comes up. :D
I also noticed alot of this stuff we are talking about is used in making Biofuels as in biodiesel.

yea my friend uses it to refine his biodiesel... he has 40 lbs of it so i know where to go when i need some haha