PDA

View Full Version : pulse step up transformer

Chippy
03-23-2012, 10:24 PM
I have been led to understand that transformers usually work on AC, but that there are pulse transformers that work with a pulsed direct current, i.e. a PWM. Does anyone know where I can obtain such a transformer that can step up 12VDC to say 10000VDC for use on a Stanley Meyer type cell or would I have to make one myself, and if so are their any suggestions on how to do that?

D.O.G
03-26-2012, 06:21 AM
I have been led to understand that transformers usually work on AC, but that there are pulse transformers that work with a pulsed direct current, i.e. a PWM. Does anyone know where I can obtain such a transformer that can step up 12VDC to say 10000VDC for use on a Stanley Meyer type cell or would I have to make one myself, and if so are their any suggestions on how to do that?

You've just described a car ignition coil.
Some are designed to work with a dropping resistor, some without (straight 12VDC), most good for up to 15KV out.:)

Philldpapill
04-02-2012, 08:01 PM
LOL @ D.O.G... That's pretty accurate. Although some people might say high-voltage won't do much good, you can do it pretty easily. Depending on the MOSFETs used in your PWM, you can hook it up to a car ignition coil pretty easily, and tap the output for whatever you want. Ideally, you should push the frequency up pretty high to get more throughput, i.e. more current, out of the system.

xori.eng
04-10-2012, 01:28 AM
@Chippy
I have been led to understand that transformers usually work on AC > transformer is ONLY work on AC (Alternating Current). To have it work on DC (Direct Current as on car battery), we need to make a "pulsed current" using an oscillator circuit (on such a working frequency) with a power transistors (or a MOSFET), to be fed into a transformer. You need to select a ferrite cored transformer to match to your working frequency, as the optimum working frequency is usually some 200kHz. This kind of system commonly known as "Switching Power Supply"... CMIIW...
Regards
xori eng

Madsceintist
04-10-2012, 02:11 AM
I SEE .............................

Looks like we have someone interested in my area. Depending on what you want to have out, depends on what type of coil you will use. Oil filled coils of yesterday have the lower 10,000 volts you mention, however if you use the newer coils like late 90's GM, you can reach nearer to 40,000-70,000 volts, Some will work at 100,000 volts. Depends on your goal. However I know where you are going and you misunderstand what Stan is doing with that output! That output is actually going to the spark plug itself, so don't think it will work inside the cell, IT WON'T ! Also, you will want to make sure that the coil only fires at TDC or after on the cylinder that is taking in the HHO, preferably around 4 degrees after.

Questions ???????????? Just ask.

Chippy
04-28-2012, 12:35 AM
@Madscientist
What, then, order of magnitude is the voltage before it reaches the charging chokes?

RTJ_Nair
04-28-2012, 10:56 AM
The below link will give you some info regarding this,

http://jnaudin.free.fr/wfc/index.htm

RTJ Nair