PDA

View Full Version : extenders wigging out efie?

abssystems
03-24-2012, 10:37 PM
hello all new here but have been reading posts for a few weeks trying to get most data i could before my venture.

over the past few weeks i have installed a complete HHO systems from componants i have aquired in hopes of doing some fianl testing and hopefully getting some better milage :)
so here's the deal

i had a couple of extenders around that i installed a bit ago to help fool the pcm into better milage and i did pick up a couple mpg with them installed
this weekend i installed my efie and cranked up my genorator:)

I'm pretty confident the efie is correctly installed and i can see it doing trim adjustments
but i notice the active light never flashes
i also notice i am having issues with both 02 heater circuts
thus the truck goes into open loop if sitting still at idle to long ( 5 minutes)
has anyone ever had issues with extenders and efie together like this?

simple is to pull them back out which i will do asap and see what the result is but i am curious if this is normal?

Olympiadis
03-25-2012, 06:35 PM
hello all new here but have been reading posts for a few weeks trying to get most data i could before my venture.

over the past few weeks i have installed a complete HHO systems from componants i have aquired in hopes of doing some fianl testing and hopefully getting some better milage :)
so here's the deal

i had a couple of extenders around that i installed a bit ago to help fool the pcm into better milage and i did pick up a couple mpg with them installed
this weekend i installed my efie and cranked up my genorator:)

I'm pretty confident the efie is correctly installed and i can see it doing trim adjustments
but i notice the active light never flashes
i also notice i am having issues with both 02 heater circuts
thus the truck goes into open loop if sitting still at idle to long ( 5 minutes)
has anyone ever had issues with extenders and efie together like this?

simple is to pull them back out which i will do asap and see what the result is but i am curious if this is normal?

What truck would you be talking about?

abssystems
03-25-2012, 09:36 PM
the truck is a 97 mazda 2300 basically a ranger with mazda stickers
2.3 ford dual plug 5 speed ford pcm etc

i took them out today and from what i saw it looks like they were chrome plated this may explain my issue as maybe the chrome didn't conduct all that well
as now without them i have no 02 heater issues
and my led light is flashing to beat the band on the efie
wierd

Olympiadis
03-25-2012, 11:05 PM
So, not keeping enough heat in the pipe at part throttle.
It helps to wrap the pipes with thermotec insulator wrap.

the extenders cut down on the surface area of the O2 sensor that is exposed to the hottest of the exhaust flow.
Hopefully your EFIE will work for you much better than the extenders anyway.

abssystems
03-26-2012, 12:12 AM
thanks Header wrap is a great idea
I will keep that in mind if i am forced to put them back in
( cleaned of chrome just in case) but i agree lack of heat on the 02 could be very much the cause:)
the whole reason i left them in after adding the efie ,was i am concerned i will not be able to get enough help from just the efie alone to control my mixture
and yes im aware i will also need to play with other sensors

but my goal is to push all the gas I can get this engine/pcm to handle
so i may need the idea of extenders and header wrap later
of course we know the exhaust is going to go up in temp the more I
( lean out)

i like the basic concept
i did good base lines for weeks before i started and found my normal exhaust temp after extended drive
to be 530 deg at header pipe
so it is possable the extenders are cooling the 02 down to much as i have maintained that temp to date of the first post
with leaning out that temp should rise and hopefully i would not need not wrap the pipe to keep heat in.
but we are working with strange stuff sometimes so it's good concept for me to keep in mind:)
thanks for the thought process

philiprambo
04-16-2012, 02:52 AM
Nice article.Thanks a lot for the great stuff.