PDA

View Full Version : Electrolysis HELP!!!!!

ggipson79
08-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Folks,
I am a newbie here so please help me out. I went to Lowes and bought 4 SS wall-plates, SS nuts & wahsers (just for testing). I first spaced them with high-temp plastic washers (needless to say they werent very high-temp) and it burnt the rubber. I then took it all back apart and placed nuts between each wall-plate to space it. I then placed it back in the water with my jumper cables hooked up and about 2 tsp. of baking soda. It got so darn hot it lit up my jumper cables and it barely bubbled. It seemed that my jumper cables were a little on the hot side. What did I do wrong? Does it get this hot when you are actually in your production environment (I certainly hope not)?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

kajreklaw
08-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Folks,
I am a newbie here so please help me out. I went to Lowes and bought 4 SS wall-plates, SS nuts & wahsers (just for testing). I first spaced them with high-temp plastic washers (needless to say they werent very high-temp) and it burnt the rubber. I then took it all back apart and placed nuts between each wall-plate to space it. I then placed it back in the water with my jumper cables hooked up and about 2 tsp. of baking soda. It got so darn hot it lit up my jumper cables and it barely bubbled. It seemed that my jumper cables were a little on the hot side. What did I do wrong? Does it get this hot when you are actually in your production environment (I certainly hope not)?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!

when you reconfigured it did you use SS nuts?? if you did, then you shorted it out. like putting the pos & neg wires together..

dennyk159
08-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Were the plates electrically isolated? You said you replaced the rubber washers with nuts. If the nuts were metal, you'd have a direct short, or at least a very low resistance that could melt almost any cable. The plates need to be electrically isolated, about 1/16" (.06mm) apart. It is best too to have neutral plates between the electrcally active plates. The neutral plates will add resistance to the circuit, & reduce amps.

ggipson79
08-04-2008, 11:24 PM
What type of plates do you use for neutral? Is every-other-plate neutral? Maybe I am just not sure how to build it.
I do see in some of the other posts wher people use emblems like ++NN--++, etc... I am not sure what they represent. I know that (+) is positive, (-) negative, N is neutral but I am not sure how they are constructed. I am a visual person.:confused:

HYDROTEKPRO
08-05-2008, 01:41 AM
Same type of plates for all the plates. Neutral plates are the middle plates not directly connected to power.

You shorted out. The current HAS to flow from plate-to-plate-to-plate THROUGH the water/electrolyte. When the electricity flows THROUGH the liquid, that's when the water starts to decompose, and we get all the happy oxyhydrogen bubbles!

Only the end plates connect to power, positive and negative respectively.

Between the positive and negative plates, and any middle plates you have there-between, you MUST use a non-conducting material to connect them and/or properly space them. Wood is a non-conducting material, but isn't practical here. Most people use plastic, and it works great.

Johnh
08-05-2008, 06:07 AM
Sounds like you have bolted it together with stainless bolts.
The bolts through the plates must be nylon or if using stainless
the only plate to touch the bolt must be either the - or the +
You can use a plastic tube over the ss bolt so only the plate
on the head of the bolt touches it.
John

c02cutter
08-05-2008, 06:30 AM
I agree with everyone else here and feel you are not isolating your plates properly. I happen to use stainless all thread in my designs, but the holes in the plates are large enough to accommodate nylon shoulder washers. This way the all thread passes through the nylon not touching the plates at all. This same setup can be used to pass current to a particular plate in the array by simply not isolating that plate.

ggipson79
08-05-2008, 09:57 AM
So these nylon parts can be purchased at Lowes or Homo Depot? I have worked construction and carpentry and nylon was not on our list of things to get - LOL. So if I have 5 plates, the 3 in the middle would be neutral?

I REALLy appreciate all of your help here!

c02cutter
08-05-2008, 10:32 AM
I'll be posting some stuff that will help you out soon.

ggipson79
08-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks buddy!

c02cutter
08-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Here is a short video of how I isolate my plates, I will also send a link to the raw footage to your email ggipson. My software uses my actual screen aspect when producing the video. So the youtube vid sucks. But the raw is good.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qa5NHttz0RU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qa5NHttz0RU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>