PDA

View Full Version : Electrode plate sizing

JojoJaro
08-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Folks, I noticed that people build plates that are smaller that the housing they place them on.

It seems to me that if you build plates that are an exact fit of the container, you would minimize stray currents that flow around the plates. My understanding is, this would be good.

I am thinking of something the size of a regular car battery, with plates arranged that fit the square dimensions exactly. You can't make the plates water tight so electrolyte will still equalize among the plates. Having this design means stray currents are minimized.

Kindda like the Bob Boyce electrolyzer design except that each cell would not be totally independent. The electrolyte is still shared.

Why aren't people building something like this? Am I missing something here?

daveinsingapore
08-05-2008, 02:48 AM
Folks, I noticed that people build plates that are smaller that the housing they place them on.

It seems to me that if you build plates that are an exact fit of the container, you would minimize stray currents that flow around the plates. My understanding is, this would be good.

I am thinking of something the size of a regular car battery, with plates arranged that fit the square dimensions exactly. You can't make the plates water tight so electrolyte will still equalize among the plates. Having this design means stray currents are minimized.

Kindda like the Bob Boyce electrolyzer design except that each cell would not be totally independent. The electrolyte is still shared.

yes there a few people that have made their cases around there plates, by using perspex sheet and the like and machined grooves into the sheet to hold the plates apart, that has been so wonderful to see, and yet we have not seen any great improvement in HHO production to warrant the cost, time and effort to do so. Also most HHO experiementors are just glad to get plates bolted to geather in some pattern, and then to dunk them in a eletrolytic solution and then Zap them with some power to see how much bubbles they can make. Also the round type tubes and canisters seem to be easier to keep water tight and to fit into engine bays. The big battery sized generators are far and few between, but no one says you can not make one. There is a guy somewhere out there who is using a battery casing for his generator container..good on him....any way it is all up to you. There is a improvement many of us try and do and that is to seal the edges of the plates to prevent cross over voltage leakage, that has been made to try and improve the whole gas production versus power used. Go have fun and show us what ya got.....lol

Painless
08-05-2008, 05:06 AM
I have to admit that this idea has occurred to me also, I'm currently building a generator that will have about a half inch clearance each side of the plates, but this is mainly due to using wall switch cover plates and the closest fitting box I could buy.

The smacks design suggests wrapping the plate array with plastic wrap to minimize unwanted current flow.

I'm wondering if a closely packed design would make heat dissipation harder? Some people are using a pump or other means to move the electrolyte around the case or an external cooler, if the plates were tight then electrolyte flow would be hindered in these setups.

Try out some ideas and let us know what you come up with! :)

BoyntonStu
08-05-2008, 09:23 AM
This should fit the bill.

timetowinarace
08-12-2008, 12:04 PM

Workmanship skill, cost, time, and not being aware of the benifits of the design are why they are not being built.

Your right on. It is a very good design.

gizzy
08-12-2008, 12:29 PM
About what your saying. I came across a guy on ebay building 18 plates stainless generators with a bubbler...I bought one and I'm still making modifications for the installation. I have a 2003 Blazer and What all I've done took me hours... Can explain later. Anyhow. On a bench test.. I was using baking soda which what I hear now, I wish I never did. But this incasement is great and so is the concept. The amperage first of all was way above 30 amps somewhere. Kept blowing fuses cause I had too much soda. 3 teaspoons/gal. Wires burnt off and I thought I was going to have a melt down, lol. Currently using a mason jar system now for a month.,,, Anyhow. The container had no heat... The connecting posts was blistering hot on the fingers.. Ouch dahh. Thanks to coors lite. So I had to do a re-mount. I had this whole setup in the hatch area, That I just recently re-located. Thank goodness. So anyhow the bubbler container is about .75/ of a gallon and the generator is about a quarter of a gallon. The bubbler was warm but not hot... This is before the melt down incedent. I didn;t think it was producing so I added soda because of the distance of travel. But yes to the idea... Sorry for the long story but I've tryed all the electonic widgets..That's another story,, Have a great day