PDA

View Full Version : New Electrode idea?

hhotb
05-03-2012, 05:16 PM
I've been playing around with carbon rods lately and im hoping to make my first dry cell with 1/4"x4"x4" graphite plates. they are fragile but they absorb the heat, dont react with KOH or HHO, and dont corrode. the only problem i have seen is that a small amount of carbon powder settles at the bottom after a while.

aceras624
05-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Carbon is the most active element in the galaxy. No concerns about making CO2 or CO?? are these plates PURE carbon?

RustyLugNut
05-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Carbon can reduce the over voltage needed to start effective electrolysis. Depending on it's microscopic construction, it can also offer tremendous surface area. At relatively higher currents and temperatures, CO can be formed, but that in it self is not bad - it just erodes your carbon plates. Fragility can be an issue as you already have found out.

hhotb
05-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Carbon is the most active element in the galaxy. No concerns about making CO2 or CO?? are these plates PURE carbon?

you might want to do some research. look at a reaction table. its a good substitute to titanium

hhotb
05-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Carbon can reduce the over voltage needed to start effective electrolysis. Depending on it's microscopic construction, it can also offer tremendous surface area. At relatively higher currents and temperatures, CO can be formed, but that in it self is not bad - it just erodes your carbon plates. Fragility can be an issue as you already have found out.

i figured if i use multiple stacks i can reduce the heat. i can run my dry cell for hours and hours on end without nearly as much heat as SS. and the amount carbon collecting at the bottom is minimal at the length of time that im testing it at and the rods are much thinner than the plates i plan on using.
Thanks