PDA

View Full Version : Building My First Smacks Booster

gheuett
06-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi All,

I'm building my first generator based on the Smacks booster model. I followed the plate arrangement exactly as in the instructions. In my first bench test there was no gas production. I thought some of my plates might have been to too close so I spread them with a screwdriver. That did get some bubbling going but nothing outstanding.

My question relates to current on the plates. Should I only be able to detect current on the two outside plates and the two inside plates? If I touch the + probe of a volt meter to either + plate and then touch one of the neutral plates, I am detecting current. Should the neutral plates show any current??

Thanks!!
Gib Heuett

Stratous
06-09-2008, 06:39 PM
I have not measured current on neutral plates before, but I have tested voltage on neutral plates. When I did the test I was receiving voltage on the neutral plates.

Smith03Jetta
06-09-2008, 07:49 PM
I built a Smacks generator on my second attempt. I did not check for voltage but the PDF document says that there will be a staggered voltage drop across the negative plates from 12, down to around 3 or so.

With that statement, i'm guessing that you could put a volt meter on the plates while they are in the water and power is on and get some varying voltage across the neutral plates.

I was also not impressed with the output of the smacks generator. I did not use Potassium Hydroxide as my catalyst because it's so hard to find. I used baking soda instead. They don't recommend baking soda. One reason why I like baking soda is because it doesn't cause severe burns if I get it on my while I'm playing around with the generators.

I did notice that I had to put more than the 1 tsp per gallon amount of baking soda to make it fizz. The most output I got was 1 liter in 4.5 minutes.

An easy way of measuring output is to get any container with graduated marks such as a plastic measuring cup or graduated cylinder. Immerse it in a bucket of water and completely fill the cylinder. Turn it upside down with the mouth toward the ground. There should be no air in the cylinder/measuring cup. Turn on the generator, let it run a few minutes to warm up. Put the output hose under the graduated cylinder and hit your stopwatch. Time either 1 minute or keep clocking until you get 1 liter of gas.

Don't light the gas for fun unless you have a flak jacket, goggles and hearing protection. Welding gloves would be a plus. I went out to cut my grass after my second explosion and I could have sworn that somebody put a new muffler on my mower.

One thing that you should be aware of... Don't put a strap really tight around your PVC pipe. If it gets too warm, the pipe will warp and you will have trouble getting the lid off without tearing up the plate array.

Mr. Smith

gheuett
06-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks to both of you! I was a bit loose with my terminology. That is correct - I was measuring voltage and it does sound as you describe. Mr. Smith - Your documentation is excellent. I went through your HHO journey and I think you have provided tons of good research for everyone. My plan was to start with the Smacks booster and work from there. I feel like my basic system will stay the same but it will allow me to vary the stainless steel plate arrangement and ultimately hit on one that works really well. I too am going to use O2 extenders first and maybe graduate toward the electronic controls - EFIE, PWM as I progress.
I first just want to get decent output on the bench and then install on my 2003 Saturn Vue.

Thanks!
Gib

m_1000rr6
06-10-2008, 12:55 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the HHO deal and have been looking around for various generators that I want to build and have come across the smack's generator. I'm in the process of acquiring parts to build one of my own. Anyway, here's a couple of sites that may help you guys out.

[smacks' videos] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxPQdrfSySI&feature=PlayList&p=ED253DD0C8EADC5B&index=0

[the first smack's booster site I've stumbled upon]
http://www.free-energy-info.co.uk/Chapt10.html

[for Potassium Hydroxide - Click on "soapmaking supplies"]
http://www.summerbeemeadow.com/

[a good looking HHO shop with lots of stuff]
http://www.xo1ox.net/hho/shop/

Ronjinsan
06-10-2008, 09:37 AM
A small tip if I may! Dont adjust your plates with a screwdriver!:o Not a good move....make sure your plates are even and straight before you start and that your spacers are all the same thickness. This will ensure that you get the best production from ALL of the cell not just where the plates are closest! :D

Smith03Jetta
06-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the screwdriver tip. I've done that a couple times and I've wondered how that would affect my output.

Oh, by the way guys, I've only been doing HHO experiments for a little over a week. I do not have much experimentation time behind me. I am, however blessed with an extrememly high intelligence so that helps me soak up knowlege like a sponge. It also helps me intuitively sort out bull$#!+ as fast as it comes in.

I post a lot because I type about 130 words per minute. I hope to share every tidbit of information with you guys as I learn more. Don't see me as an expert. I'm just a beginner like you.

Mr. Smith

Stratous
06-10-2008, 10:26 PM
I certainly would like to get my hand on one of those alexis cells so I can disect it and see how its designed. 3lpm in that size of cell seems unlikely unless they are pulling massive amperage. Prolly some trick I havent figured out yet.

gheuett
06-10-2008, 11:04 PM
The HHO Forever equipment does look good. I'm thinking that I could get a good basic system going (low tech) and then order their control unit. It seems to handle all the functions - Map/MAF PWM, O2 etc. I'm hoping to see some reviews out there if anyone is using their equipment.

Took some good advice from the posts on this site and went through my generator and plugged all the leaks - plumbers tape, marine sealant etc. It was leaking like a sieve. I clearly had a problem there. One everything dries, I'll retest tomorrow and try to get some measure of output on the Smacks.

Thanks!
Gib Heuett

Ronjinsan
06-11-2008, 03:58 AM
Brilliant....nice to see you reading our stuff, HHO is so volatile it leaks through any tiny path it can find. I have seen cells where the person who made it was dissappointed with production only to find that most of it was leaking out. Of course the most likely and actually only place you should need to keep an eye on is the bubbler lid! After all it is supposed to be a weak spot anyway! :D Cheers Gib

gheuett
06-12-2008, 06:27 AM
Clearly the sealing of all the leaks in the generator made a huge difference and I'm at the stage where I'm making progress. I'm running into a jam though on measuring the draw on the current. Where in the world do you guys find a voltmeter that reads above 10A DC? I cruised to numerous auto parts, Home Depots etc and am stuck there. I was just going to buy a single gauge ammeter for a dashboard but again - no luck. I found a few on-line but thought for sure I could pick up one locally. They have every other gauge you could imaging but not a single ammeter. I'm getting some decent bubbles but don't want to go farther until I can tell how much current its drawing and then start varying the electrolyte.

Thanks!!
Gib

Ronjinsan
06-12-2008, 06:44 AM
I have said this before but you may have missed it......some people either cant get an ampmeter or cant afford one, whichever the case, you will have to work blind. Its not so bad. A good measure of thumb is the violence of the spark when connecting to the battery! Start with a little electrolyte and when you attach the cable you should get a small blueish spark as you connect! Hold the wire on with your thumb to see how much it heats up. If all is nice add more electrolyte and do this over again. When the spark starts to get a bit agressive STOP. Run your tests. If you get too much heat etc... Empty the bottle and start afreshh with a bit less electrolyte! I know it sounds crazy but with experience you will be able to judge fairly well whats happening! Also remember that the water will 'condition' after a day or two and the heat will be less. Another thing to factor in is how you are connected, we have found that if you are on a manifold vacuum the cell will definately stay cooler. Cheers :D

gheuett
06-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Very good - I'll proceed and in the meantime order one of the auto gauge ammeters. I would like to have that in my circuit loop in the long run.

Thanks again!
Gib

Sparkie
06-12-2008, 10:16 PM
I certainly would like to get my hand on one of those alexis cells so I can disect it and see how its designed. 3lpm in that size of cell seems unlikely unless they are pulling massive amperage. Prolly some trick I havent figured out yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGcEfos-FS4
Looking on Youtube I came across this. 18A @14V for 2.2LPM
Or 21A@14V for 3LPM.
I am very curious as to how he does it as well.

Stratous
06-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Well, I just recieved a 24" x 24" piece of 301 1/4 hard .04" thick SS for free. I can now play and see if I can duplicate the alexis cell. I plan to order some Polycarbonate sheets at 1/3" thick to build the container with. Its actually pretty cheap and is good up to 270 degrees. I will duplicate his results.

Ronjinsan
06-13-2008, 04:05 AM
Lucky sod! Damn Stratous, that was a bargain mate! I order my 316l from the steel people and its sooo expensive, but worth it! Polycarbonate sheet is soooo expensive here, Its way out of my price range...:mad:

gheuett
06-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Anyone know the Alexis cell plate arrangement?
Thanks!
Gib

Stratous
06-13-2008, 09:01 AM
You can order from this web site, its pretty cheap. Not sure about shipping cost. http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=7459&step=4&showunits=inches&id=270&top_cat=181

ELECTR0N3RD
07-08-2008, 08:38 AM

what are you talking about?, mine gets around 6 and a half litres per minute!, lol 3?