PDA

View Full Version : Reading My Meter

Westcoastrocks
08-06-2008, 02:24 AM
Quick question I have a Amp/Volt meter. I want to find out how much power I am drawing from my battery. I move the switch to either AMP or M-AMP. On both settings its shows up like this .017 This is the case for the Amp setting and the M-Amp setting. So is that reading 17 amps? or 17 M-amps? Cause its the exact same on both settings. It also looks like to me that beings its .017 that its drawing under 1 Amp. That just doesn't seem possible with the amount of HHO I am producing and how much heath the unit puts out. Anyways thanks in advance for the help!

EltonBrandd
08-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Quick question I have a Amp/Volt meter. I want to find out how much power I am drawing from my battery. I move the switch to either AMP or M-AMP. On both settings its shows up like this .017 This is the case for the Amp setting and the M-Amp setting. So is that reading 17 amps? or 17 M-amps? Cause its the exact same on both settings. It also looks like to me that beings its .017 that its drawing under 1 Amp. That just doesn't seem possible with the amount of HHO I am producing and how much heath the unit puts out. Anyways thanks in advance for the help!

You will also have to move your red lead to the far left side of the meter. And it has to be connected in series between the power supply and the positive connection on the gen.

Westcoastrocks
08-06-2008, 11:57 AM
You will also have to move your red lead to the far left side of the meter. And it has to be connected in series between the power supply and the positive connection on the gen.

Maybe I did not state my question clearly i do that lol. All I want to know is: What does .017 read? is that 17 amps? or 17 M-amps?

dennyk159
08-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Are you connecting the meter in series? If not, .017 may just be open lead drift. If the meter has different settings (some auto-scale), then it could be .017 amps, which is also 17 milliamps. Make sure you are on at least the 20 amp setting, & the leads are black to common, & red on the amp input. You'll have to break the circuit, put the red lead on the source (battery side), & the black lead on the generator. Unless it's digital (which it sounds like it is) in which case the direction of the leads don't matter, it'll just read negative amps if it's backwards. With no current it should read 0, but may bounce a little. .017 could be the bounce, but when it is in the circuit, it should read a whole number. If it goes to a 1 on the far left, the current is over range, & you should go to the next higher range, provided there is a higher range. Mine only goes to 20 Amps max. If you search this forum, member dennis13030 has excellent posts on how to use a shunt to read higher amps. (search shunt)

Westcoastrocks
08-06-2008, 11:05 PM
I think you are right. I am just not taking reading the correct way. Thanks for help