PDA

View Full Version : Current Draw vs. Gas Production

FizzMaster
04-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Does anyone know what the link is between cell current draw and gas production? We did some simple tests last week and noticed that as stirred in more baking soda or Epsom salt the current draw increased as did the gas production.

Do different electrolytes produce more gas per amp? Or is gas production a function of electrode orientation, size or spacing?

I guess the next step is to modify our setup to measure gas production. I've seen some videos on youtube that talk about liters of gas per watt to the cell. Is that the best way to gauge output?

brunet
04-29-2008, 09:38 PM
You have to realize that when your adding electrolyte to the water ie baking soda your increasing it's continuity, therefore reducing it's resistance. Resistance is defined s "opposition to current flow" . So the more electrolye the more amp draw. Take also into consideration heat, electrode design and type of electrolyte as are factors in amp draw. I have also found that the electrode designs vary gas output at the same amp draw.

rmptr
07-09-2008, 12:35 AM
What plate design and spacing do you find to be most efficient, Brunet?

Thank you

computerclinic
07-09-2008, 09:44 AM
So far, with my personal experiences on the bench, and with recomendations from other members here...the best plate configuration seems to be +nnn-nnn+, not sure of a numeric value for spacing, but I use only one washer between plates. :)

This configuration allows for the right ammount of electric in the cell as well as providing for a good ammount of surface areas where the HHO will be liberated.

A few factors that I have noticed for production without getting to hot is the volume of water(electrolyte), the ratio of water to material such as KOH, Salt, and others....and most of all...the ammount of electricity being drawn into the plates. All of that combined will affect your overall gas output and the ammount of heat you will have to work with.

There is an observation stated in another thread that with temp and amperage rise comes better production --- TO A LIMMIT --- After that limmit, you begin to take on an undesirable amount of heat and also spending more amperage while not getting any further efficiency in gas production.

dennis13030
07-09-2008, 10:58 AM
There seems to be some confusion about the difference between Efficiency and Gas Production.

EFFICIENCY
This is all about maximizing gas production while at the same time minimizing the input power. Numerically, this can be stated as LITERS PER MINUTE PER WATT(L/M/W or LPM/W). The larger this value is the more efficient the electrolyzer is. In my mind, this is the most import aspect.

GAS PRODUCTION
This is all about getting as much gas output as possible. Numerically, this can be stated as LITERS PER MINUTE(L/M or LPM). The larger this value is the more gas you are getting from the electrolyzer. It is important that your gas production meets your demands. Also, gas production basically follows the current. This means more current will get you more gas production. Keep in mind that heat follows the current as well. Electrolyte(the material between the plates including water and chemicals) changes the resistance of the electrolyzer. Pure water is fairly resistive. Adding chemicals and/or heat will decrease the resistance and current/heat/gas production will increase.