PDA

View Full Version : Other fuel saving ideas?

djerickd
08-07-2008, 12:31 AM
we should have a forum for any other gas saving ideas like magnetic fuel savers, fuel heaters, additives, etc...

DaneDHorstead
08-23-2008, 10:01 AM
we should have a forum for any other gas saving ideas like magnetic fuel savers, fuel heaters, additives, etc...
I have not tried it yet, but I'm told that adding 3 oz Acetone, and 3 oz Xzylol to every ten gallons of gasoline, allows for more complete consumption of the fuel, and considerably increases MPG.

I have been told increases can range 10 to even 20%, and this can be done in addition to HHO.

sm0kin
08-24-2008, 09:02 PM
I added acetone and xylol to my tank just before heading to florida for vacation. I have a chevy suburban and it holds about 40 gallons. i went from 11mpg to almost 13mpg. 2mpg increase but.......And I'm not saying the additions were to blame......50 miles out from the condo my transmission lost 3rd & 4th gear. I had to have it rebuilt for just under $2000. the mechanic said my transmission got to hot. Like i said i won't/can't say it was from the additions but i won't be doing it again.

Omega
08-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Here's a way to save gas. Adjust your driving style.

Here's a list of things to do to improve mileage; http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php

The first 4 tips are kind of lame, but the others are mostly very good. I've achieved better mileage (so far) from driving style changes (hypermiling) than HHO.

My car's EPA rating is 29mpg HIGHWAY. I get 36.6mpg doing a mix of curvy hilly road, in town and some highway. On the highway, I'm sure I could get close to or right at 40mpg.

I'm working on maximum mileage with minimum modifications. Much better gas mileage is possible IF you adjust your attitude and work hard on technique. I hate to say it, but most people are too brain dead, lazy or uninterested to get better mileage. If you work at it, you'll astound yourself.

djerickd
08-27-2008, 01:23 AM
thats true...on the other hand I do loooove modding :D

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/djerickd/cell180.jpg

Q-Hack!
08-27-2008, 02:05 AM
Here's a way to save gas. Adjust your driving style.

Here's a list of things to do to improve mileage; http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php

The first 4 tips are kind of lame, but the others are mostly very good. I've achieved better mileage (so far) from driving style changes (hypermiling) than HHO.

My car's EPA rating is 29mpg HIGHWAY. I get 36.6mpg doing a mix of curvy hilly road, in town and some highway. On the highway, I'm sure I could get close to or right at 40mpg.

I'm working on maximum mileage with minimum modifications. Much better gas mileage is possible IF you adjust your attitude and work hard on technique. I hate to say it, but most people are too brain dead, lazy or uninterested to get better mileage. If you work at it, you'll astound yourself.

I would like to add to this list... Where you fill up makes a huge difference on fuel economy. For instance on my 2003 Saturn VUE, if I fill up at my local Chevron I get the average fuel economy as posted by the EPA (17/23). If I fill up at the local Shell station, I get slightly better MPG (19/25). If however, I fill up at the local quick-mart, I get a whopping 12/15 MPG.

Now I am not saying that everybody should fill up at Shell. But you should do mileage comparisons with different fuel stations to see which is better. Just because you save a few cents on a gallon of gas doesn't mean that you are saving money.

HHO nutt
07-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Hi,
I found out about this stuff.
You add some to your tank and increase mpg as much as you might know from hydrogen boosters etc. without a worry about installing crazy things.
I ordered the stuff and will update if it works. I think it would be cool to get about 25% more mpg without all the husstle from installations in my car.
http://www.hydrotuning.bitronglobal.com

http://www.hydrotuning.bitronglobal.com

I will post the results asap.
Nutt

slade420
07-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Water-Methanol injection

velorossa22
09-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Qhack! I wonder if the reason you are getting such a mileage difference is the difference in the pump itself. I would imagine that every pump has a different place where it clicks off to say it's full.
I read about a suggestion for electric cars saying if you get low rolling resistance tires they can improve range by 50%. I would imagine you may see a difference on out ICE motors as well. I have been wanting to try for a while but no time and no money seem to be a problem of mine.

jerrygoldsmith
09-24-2009, 11:57 PM
first time I tried Acetone I got 500 miles out of my tank (15 gal).
Normally I get 25-27mpg highway, but that week I traveled from Colorado Springs to Denver and back almost a dozen times. So I was getting about 34mpg.

After that one time I never got the same results, even when going on the same trip weeks later with the same ratio of Acetone to Gas.

Now it doesn't do me much good at all, in-town I get less MPG than without acetone, so it only does me good on highway and even then only by 1 or 2 mpg that I can tell.

biggy boy
09-27-2009, 09:19 AM
first time I tried Acetone I got 500 miles out of my tank (15 gal).

Jerry what kind of gas do you use?
Is there ethanol in it?
I've been reading about the use of acetone, they are saying if the gas has ethanol, you need to use a combo of acetone xylene and a bit of oil.

3oz acetone-3oz xylene-1oz of 2 stroke oil / 10 US gal.

Ive tried it but not convinced for sure if it works.

Glen

Mika
09-27-2009, 10:36 AM
I think you should check this out too.

http://www.fuel-saver.org/Thread-RVS-treatment

Sounds crazy but does work. Tested myself and my car now rolls easier, idles very quietly and has more low end torque. With the right driving style this also leads in smaller fuel consumption.

biggy boy
09-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I think you should check this out too.

http://www.fuel-saver.org/Thread-RVS-treatment

Sounds crazy but does work. Tested myself and my car now rolls easier, idles very quietly and has more low end torque. With the right driving style this also leads in smaller fuel consumption.

Thanks Mika.
Yes I read that post when you originally posted it, I'm a member of that forum too.

Wow :( I wouldn't say that thread is a glowing testimonial to the product. :p

jerrygoldsmith
09-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Jerry what kind of gas do you use?
Is there ethanol in it?
I've been reading about the use of acetone, they are saying if the gas has ethanol, you need to use a combo of acetone xylene and a bit of oil.

3oz acetone-3oz xylene-1oz of 2 stroke oil / 10 US gal.

Ive tried it but not convinced for sure if it works.

Glen

I use standard grade stuff, but no ethanol. I avoid Ethanol gas when possible. But I only use Acetone now when going on long trips, mostly because I don't want to have it sitting in my tank for days.

I've been told not to use Xylene in my car by a mechanic, something about corrosion of certain parts (01 pontiac grand prix)

Mika
09-28-2009, 01:36 AM
Yeah, not very positive stuff about rvs on fuel-saver, but hey, it's the same old story. "If I don't understand it, it just can't work". I just am the only one who has actually tried it, and I'm very happy I did.

Roland Jacques
09-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Hey Mika,

I have the perfect vehicle for a trial for this RVS product. My work truck its a 2001 GMC 1 ton Savanna Van. The engine is In poor condition and has 220,000 miles on it.

It uses about 1 quart of oil per gas tank full.
Number 6 spark plug fouls out at about 400 miles (carbon build up, i suspect bad rings)
It went from 11.5 MPG to 9.5MPG about 8 month ago and is steady at 9.5 MPG.
It also blew a head gasket (& or cracked a head) about 8 months ago, I temporarily fixed that with Blue Devil (had to do that treatment twice but it worked no water leaks. i undersand that stuff could last a good while)

Ive been saving to buy a re-manufactured engine but i dont mind trying this first, I got nothing to loose as far as the engine is concerned.
I'm not sure if goes by another name in the US. I'm waiting for a phone call to clear that up.

I should do a compression test on it first but the spark plugs are a major pain to get to.

Roland Jacques
09-30-2009, 01:48 PM
If piston rings have lost their elasticity and the compression is reduced due to that, an RVS Technology® treatment cannot help in this problem. The piston rings have to be replaced. Normally RVS Technology® takes care of the rest.

It might not solve my number 6 cylinder fouling but im still want to try it

Roland Jacques
09-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Turns out it goes by another name in the US, Fusion Nanomaxx Drive Train Treatment
http://fusion-tech.com/main/products
The US distributor tell me they Now have it down to 1 treatment. $49.00
Do a oil change
Mix and add product then drive for 30 minutes.

I decided to try it on my 1994 Mercury Villager also which drives great and Easier to test compression etc on.

Mika
10-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Are you sure that it's the same stuff? If you are, then go ahead and please make the compression tests. Maybe people will believe you better than me.

Roland Jacques
10-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Are you sure that it's the same stuff? If you are, then go ahead and please make the compression tests. Maybe people will believe you better than me.

RVS displays these guys as there only US distributor.
http://www.rvs-tec.com/English/contact.htm#US_flag

Yeah I'm doing a compression check on both vans Tomorrow.

I called 2 of the reviewer mechanics in Canada one know longer works on cars and the other no longer sell it directly. They both said that the product worked great. I ask them about any long term bad side effects and they said they never had any bad side effects. that was convincing for me.

I tried to post on that other thread but something is wrong with my username or something. Funny how they completely changed subjects at the end that thread.

biggy boy
10-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I see you need to do two treatments, to do it properly!
Found this info on the Canadian site.
Roland hurry up and do it! So the rest of us scaredy cats can hear about the results :p

Roland Jacques
10-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Are you sure that it's the same stuff?

After some more research it seems that the RVS and Fusion do vary a bit more than i originally thought. They use the same technology, but the Fusion tech seems a bit more user friendly and possibly slower acting. Also fusion tech emphasize the fact that the oil breakdown rate and contamination rate is reduced, so much so that some have gone 45,000 miles w/o oil a change. They recommend that i have my oil tested like they do on big diesels engines to detrermine when to change oil. It seems that there product continues to improve performance of engine for the entire time it is in the engine. It seems the RVS takes 2 months to reach it's max potential and 1 year for Fusion tech to reach it max potential.

If you are, then go ahead and please make the compression tests.

I spent hours yesterday doing compression test on both vans, changing oil, and test driving for MPG. Adding the Fusion treatment and more driving.

I realized this morning that i did the compression test wrong (i did not remove all the plugs when testing :mad:) I removed one plug then started it of 3 seconds and turned the engine off. I'm not retesting the GMC to much of a PIA, but i am going to retest the villager with all plugs removed today. I have already treated both vans last night so...

I will retest compression in 1 weak, 1 month, and 2 months. If i notice a MPG gain at any of those point i will test that also.

Roland Jacques
10-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Since this testing will take 90 days to get a good idea weather this helps, I’ll just keep the data here.

Fusion-Tech Nanomaxx engine treatment. Treated10-3-09

Test 1 GMC 3500 Savanna Van, 2001, Box-van GVWR 9500lbs, 222410 miles.

The GMC test will be more about weather it will reduces oil consumption and stop the fouling plug.
#4 cylinder fouled out in 130 miles, (that last plug I used was a Double tip platinum Bosch. I’m not sure whether the double tip just fouls out quicker, or the engine condition has gotten that much worst. Before the Bosch i used Autolite & NGK plugs they where lasting 300 miles before fouling. )

This van also has a FS2 Volo chip (I don’t think its going to work until the the engine can run without fouling plugs)

Oil useage Uses 1 quarts of oil of every 200 miles ( this has progressively getting worst over the last year)

Oil pressure; engine warm 19 psi @ idle, 39 psi cruising, 42 accelerating load

Average MPG 9.5

Test run MPG 10.38 MPG. 30.5 miles : 2.938 gallons = . 10-03-09. Test MPG after first treatment 30 mile round trip non stop (except McDonalds drive through), same gas QT, same pump, auto shutoff mode.

Engine compression cylinders
(compression test not done by the book, Only removed one plug and ran engine. Taking the highest reading )
1. 100
2. 100
3. 95
4. 90
5. 100
6. 100
7. 100
8. 85
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________

Test 1 Mercury Villager 1994, 192,023 miles, very good cond, burns no oil, maybe a little week on power. This test is mainly for MPG monitoring

Average MPG, 20.0 MPG when I'm driving, 17.6 MPG when the wife drive. ( per Digital dashboard cluster readout)

Test run MPG 26.514, Digital dashboard cluster readout 22.5MPG
35.9.miles, 90 % hwy 10% city 1.354 gallons. Same gas Kroger, same pump, auto shut off

Oil useage not noticable under 3000 miles

Cylinder Compression.
Red are before treatment only removing 1 plug at a time and starting engine
The other black numbers are 70 miles after treatment, all plugs removed & throttle wide open. Low number is 4 revolutions, the second number is 10 seconds of cranking the engine.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_firing_orders.htm
1. 150-175------105
2. 150-175------105
3. 155-175------105
4. 150-175------105
5. 155-175------70 ******
6. 160-180------90

****** Note i tested that cylinder 4 times before treatment because it had the lowest numbers. the test were 65,65,70,65. i took the highest number. I did also a "one plug removal test" on this cylinder at the 70 miles after treatment and got 75psi at least a 5 psi improvement.

spicerman
10-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Hey Slade
I built a water injection system for my 350 Chev engine. I started at 1 oz per min. My initial result was 2.8 mpg increase. but I haven't been steady with it. I got side tracked with HHO & the VOLO FS2. My pump gave me trouble when it got cold. so I needed to redesign.

I just pulled my camper home (200 miles) It would have been a perfect test, but I couldn't.

The washer fluid has Methyl alcohol in it. You can also us Methyl-hydrate (denatured alcohol) The alcohol becomes a secondary fuel source. I'm working on a system that will put it in (water/washerfluid & HHO) under vacuum, as steam.

biggy boy
10-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Hey Slade
I built a water injection system for my 350 Chev engine. I started at 1 oz per min. My initial result was 2.8 mpg increase. but I haven't been steady with it. I got side tracked with HHO & the VOLO FS2. My pump gave me trouble when it got cold. so I needed to redesign.

I just pulled my camper home (200 miles) It would have been a perfect test, but I couldn't.

The washer fluid has Methyl alcohol in it. You can also us Methyl-hydrate (denatured alcohol) The alcohol becomes a secondary fuel source. I'm working on a system that will put it in (water/washerfluid & HHO) under vacuum, as steam.

Hi Spicerman!
What was the PSI of your pump?
Which nozzle were you using.
Did the system run all the time while the engine is running?
Or just at certain throttle settings?

Glen

spicerman
10-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Hi Spicerman!
What was the PSI of your pump?
Which nozzle were you using.
Did the system run all the time while the engine is running?
Or just at certain throttle settings?

Glen

Hi Glen
My pump is a small "HI-FLO" 1 GPM@30 psi. It pumps up a pressure tank and the nozzle is fed through a flow valve via 1/4 plastic tubing. I'm only running at 10 psi. (that press gave me 1 oz pm flow) Im a build-it-yourself kind of guy so when I couldn't find a nozzle that would work at such low press. I took the one off my pump type nasal spray bottle. It atomized pretty good. So I drilled a hole in the air ducting right above the throttle plate, put in a rubber grommet and inserted just the tip. I run the water inj. and HHO with a throttle switch. I set it to come on at 'mild' acceleration. I control it all via a control box I have in the cab.

biggy boy
10-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks Spicerman! good to know!
That is pretty low pressure huh!
Some are running at 60 -100 psi.
Mcmaster Carr sells the nozzles.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#spray-nozzles/=40sbco

spicerman
10-12-2009, 10:21 AM
More pressure = More energy input = Less overall gain
Thanks for the link!!!
Jesse

biggy boy
10-12-2009, 12:39 PM
More pressure = More energy input = Less overall gain
Thanks for the link!!!
Jesse
Sounds good Jesse!

If you can atomize the water at 30 PSI, why would you want to do it at 100 PSI? Makes sense to me what you are saying.

Glen

spicerman
10-14-2009, 12:26 AM
Glen

The more pressure, the better atomization of the water droplets. Thus additional energy input is required. But the ultimate atomization is steam.
So here is my Idea... Draw water/washer fluid (under manifold vacuum pressure) through a metering valve, to a metal chamber (boiler, IE: 2"x2"x6" thin wall tubing) that sits directly on top of the exhaust manifold. The water would evaporate better under vacuum. The resulting steam would then be drawn into a tube at the top of the boiler that has been inserted into the intake manifold and would deliver the steam directly below the throttle plate.
You could also run your HHO through the boiler and it would mix and be heated by the steam.
My one concern is that the MAP sensor would see it as a vacuum leak. It depends on how much HHO you plan to introduce into the mix.
If it were seen as a vacuum leak a MAP sensor enhancer could be used to "add back" and compensate for the extra gas going in.

SIDE NOTE: Remember I was using a Thermal couple to monitor my exhaust temps?? Its been working consistently:D I encountered something interesting when I pulled my camper home last Monday. I was pulling against a S.W. headwind. It sounded like the truck was working hard, I thought the temps. would be high, but the temps (according to the Ohms of the thermal couple) were no higher then an average, clear,mornings drive to work. (about 315-325Ohms) But when its raining on the drive to work, the readings run about 400-425 Ohms. That extra moisture in the air makes a big difference!!

biggy boy
10-14-2009, 07:02 AM
Jesse!
Is there any chance you can post a picture of where you tide in the
Thermocouple. I believe you said you drilled and tap threaded a hole?

The steam for what I understand need to be wet steam, so it still has the potential to expand, your suggested steam setup would be wet.

Roland Jacques
10-14-2009, 05:18 PM
FWIW, The Nano Fusion ceramic treatment does appear to be raising compression in both vehicles, and lower oil consumption I'm my GMC. I'll try to do a complete test this weekend.

biggy boy
10-14-2009, 09:57 PM
FWIW, The Nano Fusion ceramic treatment does appear to be raising compression in both vehicles, and lower oil consumption I'm my GMC. I'll try to do a complete test this weekend.

Sounds promising there Roland.
Does the brand you used requier two treatments like the other brand?

Roland Jacques
11-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Its been about 6 weeks since my Ceramic treatment of Fusion Tech in 2 vehicles. I intended to do more reporting and testing but stuff happens.

Just a brief update to be followed buy a more detailed one and then a final report and opinion at the 3 month point.

My GMC has greatly improved it's fouling Spark plugs issue on #4 cylinder. (it had been fouling every 300 miles or less). Its now gone over been 1200 miles since the last fouling (it seems to be getting longer between fouling as time goes on.

The MPG has improved (about 10%) but i cant say for sure the the treatment had any thing to do with that. ( I will make a effort to isolate what contributed to improved MPG at 3 month point)

I have not done a compression check lately on the GMC.

Oil consumption has definitely gone down. but it seems to have been increasing a little with time. I need more time to determine how much oil use reduction has happened

Mercury Villager

I have had issues with this 1994 villager. The daily MPG (wife driving unknown about treatment or testing) has gone down about 20%. I first thought it had something to do with the treatment. I am now fairly certain it did not have anything to do with the treatment. I drove in it down to FL this week about 900 miles. The HWY driving showed a slight improvement in mpg 5-10%. but acceleration MPG does look to be worse according to the vans MPG gauge (I'll compared Data later) ( i believe it has a sensor issue but no codes)

I did a compression check and it did go up at week 2 but now it back down to orgininal comprsion.

I have to say the company Fusion tech really needs to get thier act together. Thier not very helpfull with details...
1. Thier online directions are for a Two part product, and they are now using a one part product.
2. They say to add product then drive at least 20 minites. After later conversations they recomdend add product and let idle for 20 minites.
I cant help but think the Type of oil you use matters also but no mention of that, I've been using Delvac 1300 15-40, but i think i should have use 5-30 (which is really the factory recomended oil for both of these vehcles)
If I had to do it over again i think i would have done this with RVS from the Canadian distibutor they offer a bit more helpfull details.

Anyway all in all I have to say as of now, i do think it was a very good investment for my GMC.

spicerman
11-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Biggy boy..

I'll see if I can get my camera under there.
I took a brass 1/8" NPT X 1/4" compression fitting and drilled it out to the diameter of the thermal-couple shaft. I drilled it to a depth that would put the tip of the thermal-couple in the center of the exhaust pipe when the fitting was threaded in place.
The thermal-couple body was too long to hold it into the fitting with the existing threads of the compression side of the fitting. so I had to extend the threads some how. [you can improvise any way you want.] I had a bunch of old used fittings so I used a 2ND fitting that had a 1/4" compression thread and cut it off where the threads ended[to gain max length of thread] I also used a 2ND 1/4" nut and cut the top off so it became a threaded coupling.
I screwed them all together and had enough thread length. I then took the 1ST 1/4" compression nut and cut an 1/8" slot down the side. Then I slipped the thermal-couple lead through the slot. Insert the thermal-couple into the fitting and clamp into place with the slotted nut. Like I said you can do it anyway you want.

Cherry red is approx. 1400 *F so when I heated the TC and it just started to get reddish [approx. 1200*F] the Ohms were about 550.

Jesse