PDA

View Full Version : what size for tube design

homersimpson30
08-07-2008, 09:52 AM
If I was going to make a square or round tube design what size should be used? Like 1" tube with a 1.5" or 1" with a 2 inch. You want to make sure you get the correct size because you cant change the gap size right? Any thoughts?

daveczrn
08-07-2008, 10:40 AM
depends on your wall thickness of the tubing you want to use. What you want to end up with is somewhere between 1/16" to 1/8" clearance from one tube to the next.

so if you wanted to use 1" outside diameter tubing, the next size up you would want 1.125" inside diameter tubing.

Make sense?

HomeGrown
08-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Shape all depends on what you have available to work with, and I like the idea of square tubing. Either should be relatively easy to work with, and spacers are easy to do, especially if you go with a 1/16" gap.

Check pricing to see which will give you a better bang-for-the-buck with regards to surface area.

justaguy
08-07-2008, 08:27 PM
If you have a way of making the tubes try using 3" as your largest tube stepping down keeping the gap 1/16 to 3mm to the next smaller size. Do the same thing until you have 4 tubes. Configure +-+- by welding or soldiering a strap across the top of the tube to connect the + together and the - together. Connect the battery from the bottom of your generator. Best results to keep amps and heat low use three generators hooked in series.

c02cutter
08-07-2008, 08:57 PM
If you want the tube design, do what a I showed you in your other post. It works, and works well.