PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Plated Plastic Stars from Contact Lens Cleaners

Smith03Jetta
08-07-2008, 11:32 AM
What do you think?

These would be a good fit to match the claims of some people on the internet and this forum of being able to produce the EQUIVALENT ACTIVITY (MPG Results) of 2 to 3 liters of HHO in a non-stainless steel anode configuration inside PVC tubes.

The last photo shows some USED UP stars that have felt the effects of harsh chemicals. Before they are used up they are nice and pretty.

Platinum Anodes produce pure hydrogen not HHO. This may be the key to what we are looking for.

Stratous
08-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Not sure I have ever seen those before. My wife wears contacts.

Smith03Jetta
08-07-2008, 01:12 PM
At lunch I picked up a package of the contact lens cleaner shown in the photos. It is a very small plastic star with a diameter slightly larger than a penny that would indeed fit inside a 1 inch PVC tube. It is coated in a very thin layer of Platinum. It seems really too small to do much. I guess I'll just have to give it a try... Who knows. The photos of the gas coming off the little star in the photo looked impressive to say the least. I will do some testing to see how it works and let you guys know.

I think I'll use Aluminum as the cathode. According to everyone's research it will not make any gas when used as a cathode. The purpose of this little experiment of mine is to make pure Hydrogen.

Q-Hack!
08-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Help me out here....

Is the contact cleaner an electrolysis process or a chemical one? I see lots of bubbles in the pic, but no electrodes.

mclaing
08-08-2008, 06:15 AM
What were your results from testing those conact lens platinum stars?
Has anyone tried AC on their cells. I'm looking at some neon sign transformers, and wondering what extraction power it would have. I realise it's not quite portable.... could be.

Smith03Jetta
08-08-2008, 08:13 AM
I haven't tried the platinum star yet. I'm working on a test tube for it. I know it will make bubbles but the platinum on the star is very thin. I think that if this is not the exact thing being used it was possibly the Spark that set off their creative juices. We'll see soon enough.

BoyntonStu
08-10-2008, 11:01 AM
IIRC Gillette made/makes platinum coated razor blades.

BoyntonStu

Smith03Jetta
08-11-2008, 03:54 PM
I've found a suitable test container for bench testing the small platinum stars. Walmart sells Protein Shots in a sturdy plastic test tube with a waterproof screw on lid. I'll get back to this when I've had a chance to test it. I've been too busy doing yard work and getting the Touareg case installed to work much on the platinum project.

Canibal
08-13-2008, 05:06 AM
You will get pure Hydrogen at the negative electrode, and pure oxygen at +. When the bubbles rises from solution, H2 and O2 gases mixes together and you get what you call HHO gases. It does not matter what is electrode material. By the way, if you use aluminium in alkaline electrolyte, it will melt down. Simple chemistry :)

djerickd
08-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Subscribes...you are onto something..

jjb2888
08-14-2008, 10:56 PM
You will get pure Hydrogen at the negative electrode, and pure oxygen at +. When the bubbles rises from solution, H2 and O2 gases mixes together and you get what you call HHO gases. It does not matter what is electrode material. By the way, if you use aluminum in alkaline electrolyte, it will melt down. Simple chemistry :)

When the aluminum melts down it turns into aluminum oxide, the gas given off is pure H2. No mixing with Oxygen. The problem is controlling the reaction when vehicle is off because it requires no electricity. But once the aluminum or all the water is consumed the reaction ends. What you are left with is Aluminum Oxide and lye