PDA

View Full Version : Cummins and HHO

Clayne_b
08-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Ive been looking into this whole hho thing for a while now. and ive decided im going to give it all i got. lol. one thing that has got me. if you put it on a naturally aspirated motor then the motor will suck it in pretty much. but i have a turbo charged motor and being that there will be a positive pressure in the intake and not a negative how do you go about doing this. Ive thought of pumps and such but im open for ideas. Ive noticed that Stratous has a cummins with it. how did you do it. thank you all for your help and time. im new on this site..... thanx again

Clayne_b
08-08-2008, 11:50 AM
anyone? ha ha

Johnh
08-08-2008, 01:29 PM
There doesn't seem to be any problems running it in pre turbo. Between the turbo and aircleaner.
There is a lot of bull spouted about not having enough pressure but IF your electrolyser and bubbler is properly sealed there is no problems in putting it in on the pressure side. Have a look at some of the commercial electrolysers and they generate enough pressure to fill hydrogen bottles. ( see homepower.com issue#32) There is no way I would suggest pressurizing HHO to more than a few pounds but it will overcome the turbo pressure.
John

scirockett
08-08-2008, 04:42 PM
here's another useless circular post be me. :)

first of all, a diesel's throttle is controlled by the amount of fuel injected into the cylinder, and injection timing. Not that you are, but why would anybody interfere with a Diesel's engine management in attempt to lean in out? YOu can't lean a diesel out, you'll just make less power.

the point of that nonsense is this diesel you have is a great test to see if HHO actually helps. Since power/throttle is controlled by fuel flow, you should see a power increase and MPG increase (more power per stroke) without touching your ECU..

As for injection, you want to put it before the turbo or you'll never ingest any HHO.. If it's after the turbo, it will be under boost most of the time. you probably don't want to put 20 psi into you gen, and won't pull anything UNLESS you maka venturi type of pull system ? would that even work? otherwise your HHO gen would need to be pressurised higher than your boost psi. so before the turbo is the only logical choice.

timetowinarace
08-08-2008, 04:51 PM
I run mine to the air cleaner box. '06 cummins.

I've read that most get better results pre-turbo than post-turbo. I don't have any experience post-turbo though.

Boost pressure can go to 40#s for the cummins. I often see 32#s on my truck. I personally don't see a reason to try to overcome that amount of pressure and introduce a possible boost leak out of the intake.

Clayne_b
08-08-2008, 07:35 PM
That is the only way i see doing it also, pre turbo, timetowinarace, are you getting better millage with your system

Stratous
08-09-2008, 01:54 AM
I inject mine preturbo also, and I am seeing an increase in MPG of about 7. I plan to build a more efficient unit to produce more and see if it helps.

scirockett
08-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I inject mine preturbo also, and I am seeing an increase in MPG of about 7. I plan to build a more efficient unit to produce more and see if it helps.

Did you make any ECU modifications, or are you seeing 7MPG just from the HHO injection?

Do you notice any increased performance?

timetowinarace
08-09-2008, 12:18 PM
I can't give an accurate MPG comparison because my truck is always pulling a trailer and the weight varies greatly. It does seem to me that the truck runs better and get's a bit better MPG's with the booster. I cannot substantiate it though.

Some things to note are: My unit does not produce as well as Stratous's. It also has heat issues. My truck has other modifications and was getting a bit over 21MPG(not towing) before hho. Yes, one modification is to the ECU but not for HHO, it's for performance/fuel mileage. My personal thought on the larger diesels is that more HHO is better. (I should note here that I don't believe this is the case with most gas engines)