PDA

View Full Version : Elec Tape?

bigapple
08-08-2008, 07:27 AM
ive seen many people wrap their plates in electrical tape along the outside to prevent current leakage... would it really be worth the trouble to wrap it to where the plates are only exposed on top and bottom where the openings are? it seems to produce either way but i wonder if this would help and would possibly keep temperature down... im working on two 6 plate arrangements and was hoping for some advice... anyone had firsthand expirience with this?

sm0kin
08-11-2008, 03:18 PM
everything I've seen the electrical tape will prevent the plates from leaking current out of the sides where it is not being used.

c02cutter
08-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Regular electrical tape will degrade in the electrolyte. There is a product out there that is rubber, and not truly tape that bonds with being stretched. I can't for the life of me recall the name of the stuff, but have some that I got as a sample from one of our distributors. Is works great, but you need to under wrap the end or it will unravel. I'll try and see if I can find a name to place to the product. I had forgotten I had it till I wanted to wrap the cell.

Scotch 23... Scotch 23 and 130C Rubber Splicing Tape— Highly conformable, self-fusing, EPR-based (ethylene propylene rubber) tape can be used as insulation for low-voltage applications, as well as for splices up to 69,000 volts. Meet ASTM D4388 Type I, II, and III requirements.

kiki
08-11-2008, 04:23 PM
i guess you mean Rescuetape? (rescuetape.com).

i just did an experiment wraping my cell in regular insulationtape. the current dropped from 15 to 10 amps. the gasproduction was the same and i lost the extreme heat production. so this really is a good way for better efficiency. the extra 5 amps was only producing heat (5 a x 12 v = 60 watts of heat)

i will use rescuetape on my next cell and let you know the results.