PDA

View Full Version : am i on to something?

BlackSheep
03-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Just a thought, but would it make sence to have the hho system completely seprate from the cars charging system? maybe use some sort of bedini motor setup to power the hho unit? possibly put a couple transformers wired in parrallel between the motor and the unit, one step up and one step down, to get more volts and amps to power the unit?

Stevo
03-26-2013, 12:26 AM
Maybe.. I'm thinking your best bet is leverage waste heat from the exhaust.

BlackSheep
03-26-2013, 08:44 PM
what will exhaust heat have to do with making hho? it doesnt get hot enough to make hho through heat.. sorry for my closed mindedness, im just having issues understanding

Stevo
03-30-2013, 10:24 PM
If your whole point was to require less or no electrical input (as I doubt you will get anywhere near powering more than a couple of LEDs) from the Bedini - probably not.

Heat can be used to generate electricity. Not talking about using heat directly to split water molecules. Good luck with your project.

BlackSheep
03-31-2013, 09:51 AM
I don't mean a bedini per say.. just an idea like it.. how would someone go about creating electricity from heat?

Stevo
03-31-2013, 11:13 AM
One way could be using a peltier device (aka thermocouple)

some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_effect

They aren't massively efficient, but are the easiest way.

Here is an example device for sale on Amazon (I am not a seller)

http://www.amazon.com/Tec1-12730-Thermoelectric-Peltier-462wmax-62mmx62mm/dp/B004GWKWEC/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_0

If you try this, definitely make sure you have a heat sink as it says or you will cause a meltdown of the device's structural components.

Another way could be to create a mini steam turbine that uses waste heat from the exhaust manifold to create steam and turn a generator.

There are other non-scientific hypothesis that suggest that heat within a hydrogen generator like the ones built on these forums is actually a good thing requiring less voltage from the electrical source and thus achieving higher efficiencies (as water becomes more conductive as it warms up). I have yet to create a formal test for this, but certainly intend to do so once I complete my stainless reservoir system.

myoldyourgold
04-01-2013, 03:44 AM
Here is BMW's Peltier charger system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sMZD6iK3m4

D.O.G
04-01-2013, 05:16 AM
There are other non-scientific hypothesis that suggest that heat within a hydrogen generator like the ones built on these forums is actually a good thing requiring less voltage from the electrical source and thus achieving higher efficiencies (as water becomes more conductive as it warms up). I have yet to create a formal test for this, but certainly intend to do so once I complete my stainless reservoir system.

Stevo, although I can't find the article now, sorry:o, I remember reading an article on industrial water electrolysis a couple of years back.
The author claimed that a water temperature of 60 degrees centigrade was the most efficient.

Regulating the water temperature may be overkill for an "ordinary" automotive system where the system only runs for a short commute, but may be worth the expense for those in the road transport sector where systems are active for hours at a time?

Stevo
04-01-2013, 04:00 PM
I definitely think that water temperature regulation targeting 60C/140F might be a bit challenging if your reservoir is located under the hood. If you were able to provide a passive cooling system then you might be able to target 60C +/- ~10C. Mostly, I think it is important that the reactor isn't heating itself to that temperature alone via "current leakage", but rather absorbing excess heat from the cooling system in some controlled way. I wouldn't doubt that this method in combination with controlled vacuum and a small scale peltier heat pump system would provide some very decent results.

Complications come along with adding temperature sensors, heat sinks, solenoids, extra pumps and a microcontroller to handle the logic. The time is definitely now if you are eager to experiment and not afraid of technology.