PDA

View Full Version : 61 plate 6x6 generator

elwood
12-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Im working on building a 61 plate generator, 1/2 inch gasket width so I have 5x5 inches of usable plate, ill be running it off of 12 volt. Im thinking 1/4 inch bottom holes and 3 1/4 inch upper holes. im using this project for a torch and need to know how many lpm I can reasonably expect from the cell, and more importantly what exactly is a x many lpm torch capable of? ive seen several videos of people doing random things with a torch but very few say what lpm they are running and even less prove their lpm.

Does anyone have any reviews on the best flashback arrestor?

I have a 100A pwm but after calculating my amps off of one of mikes videos my generator calculates at 125A, is the only reason for needing a limiting factor thermal runaway? if so wouldnt running your Iincoming water through a heat exchanger for some sort do the same thing? for example a heater core out of a car.

Any input/suggestions/feedback would be appreciated, thanks

Stevo
12-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Nice build goal! Most ppl use a PWM to prevent thermal run-away. Some others like myself use it for controlling the optimum frequency and duty cycle for the given reactor. You certainly could use a stainless heat exchanger to help shed heat and I would be very interested in seeing any results you can record. I use a custom micro controller controlled PWM in my system so that I can also control the duty cycle dynamically based on engine parameters from the ECU, but that seems to be a little "over the top" compared to the typical PWM use cases. Some individuals suggest that no PWM is needed if the cell voltage is <=2 VDC. I have done bench testing with a constant voltage/current DC to DC step down buck converter at precisely 2.0 VDC and 0.5 to 1 amps per square inch and measured only a 5-10% water temperature increase over the course of 1 hour run time using KOH at ~5% by weight concentrations. So, I would suggest going with lower cell voltage and try out your heat exchanger idea then post back here with the results.

motocross1550
12-14-2013, 10:25 PM
i too am interested in flash back arrestors. seams it would add another step in safety. and possibly take away the need for a bubbler.

Stevo
12-16-2013, 06:02 PM
So, I bought one of these units a couple of years ago back when he his own site: http://us103264361.fm.alibaba.com/product/104189966-100782426/HHOG_II_Hammer_EX_HHO_Hydroxy_Flashback_Arrestor.h tml

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/104189966/HHOG_II_Hammer_EX_HHO_Hydroxy_Flashback.jpg_350x35 0.jpg

Just last week it failed on me. The point of failure was the epoxy used to hold the stainless end caps on (go figure). Anyway, it suited my needs for the time with regards to the pleasure of instantly burning things up with a HHO torch and was pretty reliable. Upon opening the unit up, I was greeted with a **** ton of play sand - LOL. I also noticed that he used two brass microfilters on the insides of the in and out ports which helped keep the sand in place. I never had a flash make it's way to the bubbler and never had any near misses with this unit, so if I wanted a quick fix I might buy another one. Being the type of person I am though, I would probably just try and re-create the flashback arrestor using the same parts but instead using a brass casing so that the end caps could be either screwed on or soldered in place.

The same guy used to sell bubblers as well, but I do not see them up for sale anymore. I actually still have the one I purchased installed in my current system and I can vouch that using a brass, stainless or plastic atomizer is most certainly the way to go concerning bubblers.

elwood
12-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Hmm play sand huh? I would have never thought of that. I bought a similiar setup off of greenfuelh2o that should arrive in the mail today. I dont think ill have to worry about buying another one now that I know whats in them though.

Im hopeing my generator will produce 8lpm, does anyone have a similiar sized torch that could tell me how powerful 8lpm is?

elwood
12-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Okay so I have my generator built, +nnnnn-nnnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn etc etc, when im useing only one cell (+nnnnn-) im drawing around 12A and getting 1 liter about every minute and 15 seconds. When I hook the first and last cell up im drawing approximately20A and getting a liter every 50 seconds (old gauge and hard to guess exact numbers so im only approximaing on the second one) but when I hook all the cells up im only drawing about 30A. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

elwood
12-30-2013, 10:24 AM
It ended up being my battery not keeping up with the draw even with a charger on it.