PDA

View Full Version : Amps per cell

Rob
08-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Gday all.

I am going to build a second cell & was wandering if anyone could answer my question.

If i have two cells the same & they both draw 10amps. If i connect them both up to the battery will they draw 20amps together or dose it depend on if they are conected in series or parralel?

Also if there is anyone from Australia have you been able to find Potassium Hydroxide & where?

kiki
08-10-2008, 09:02 AM
if you connect these in parallel, they will draw 20 amps indeed!. do not connect in series, because than the voltage per cell drops.

arjen

BoyntonStu
08-10-2008, 07:34 PM
if you connect these in parallel, they will draw 20 amps indeed!. do not connect in series, because than the voltage per cell drops.

arjen

Unless you wish to drop the voltage on purpose.

A cell needs only 2 Volts.

Anything extra is wasted heat and electricity.

BoyntonStu

Jaxom
08-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Unless you wish to drop the voltage on purpose.

A cell needs only 2 Volts.

Anything extra is wasted heat and electricity.

BoyntonStu

Agreed. It just depends on the cell design. If you're running a lot of N plates to cut the voltage across the individual plate pairs then they'll need to be in parallel to keep the gap voltage high enough for the cells to produce. If they're just simple 2-plate cells then they'd be much better off in series.

kiki
08-11-2008, 06:38 PM
right, ofcourse. my experience is using a 1 mm gap, and using 2 volts each gap

so a celldesign like +nnnnn- would be good. (13.8 volts/6 gaps)

if this is your cell and you want to add more of these, connect them in parrallel.

Phantom240
08-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Wooha! 1mm gap is pretty damn close!

kiki
08-12-2008, 04:17 PM
yep, but it seems to work fine. have a look at the zerofossilfuel designs, the guy is using 1mm as well.

i am testing with a bubbler tank with a feedback hose, so the gas comes out on top of the genny to the bubbler and water from the bubbler will be added on the bottom of the cell again. this creates a kind of flow in the systems which prevents the cell from overheating, and also creates a waterflow between the plates which removes the gasbubbles. (where is bubbles, there cant be water)

will post my results later this week.

DaneDHorstead
08-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Wooha! 1mm gap is pretty damn close!
One mm is approximately 0.039", which is under Stan Myers recomended 0.045"

I am producing a thousand electrodes, using 0.039 plate thickness, with a 0.0445 gap, which equates to 1 mm plate, and a 1.1 mm gap.

Using potassium hydroxide, I run only 128 degrees F, at 10 amps per unit (three generators, wired in parallel, producing 1.9 liters per min.) each has a separate circuit breaker, if needed, but at that heat, the breakers do not nearly come into play.

DaneDHorstead
08-12-2008, 04:47 PM
One mm is approximately 0.039", which is under Stan Myers recomended 0.045"

I am producing a thousand electrodes, using 0.039 plate thickness, with a 0.0445 gap, which equates to 1 mm plate, and a 1.1 mm gap.

Using potassium hydroxide, I run only 128 degrees F, at 10 amps per unit (three generators, wired in parallel, producing 1.9 liters per min.) each has a separate circuit breaker, if needed, but at that heat, the breakers do not nearly come into play.
Note also that the thinner plates, do not retain as much heat, as do thicker ones, yet the thickness in either case, does not effect surface area.

I would much prefer thinner (cooler) plates, with the same surface area, coupled with the recomended gap (1.1 mm (0.0445") , as compared to Stanley Myers recomended 0.045"), to maintain a more desireable water temp.

If you look closely at Stanleys prototypes, you will notice that his electrodes are nearly the same thickness, as the gap.

DaneDHorstead
08-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Gday all.

I am going to build a second cell & was wandering if anyone could answer my question.

If i have two cells the same & they both draw 10amps. If i connect them both up to the battery will they draw 20amps together or dose it depend on if they are conected in series or parralel?

Also if there is anyone from Australia have you been able to find Potassium Hydroxide & where?
It definitely will draw 20 amps if wired in parallel, and would suffer a very severe voltage drop, if wired in series.

kiki
08-13-2008, 02:59 AM
i am about to build a new cell that will fit in my jeep. my test cell is just a few cm. too big..) and will try the bit more plate spacing as you mentioned and let you know if i can see any difference in amps/gasproduction.

kiki
08-15-2008, 06:24 PM
btw. i found tyraps which are 1.1 mm exactly so i will use these for spacers between my plates.