PDA

View Full Version : hydrogen peroxide

apwutcook
08-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Anyone ever done a test including hydrogen peroxide? Just curious. I figure it is pretty cheap, readily available, and should add a little hydrogen to the mix I would think.
I am a little hesitant to mess mine up since I just got it going.

1973dodger
08-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Hydrogen peroxide is h2o2, not sure you want more oxygen in your system. Oxygen is what causes corrosion.

1973dodger

timetowinarace
08-12-2008, 12:50 PM
I tried it but didn't take any measurements. By appearance it produced allot more.

djerickd
08-19-2008, 09:49 PM
this is interesting... did you use an electrolyte in the H2O2?

Phantom240
08-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Hydrogen peroxide is h2o2, not sure you want more oxygen in your system. Oxygen is what causes corrosion.

1973dodger

Well if you really think about it, the concentration won't be that much greater than with just your water/electrolyte solution. Plus, extra oxygen won't really hurt any, cause it is necessary for complete combustion anyhow.

Omega
08-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Uncapped hydrogen peroxide has a very short life. Heat it up for a bit and it's "done". In other words, it won't last long enough for it to be worthwhile.

FuzzyTomCat
08-31-2008, 04:25 AM
Anyone ever done a test including hydrogen peroxide? Just curious. I figure it is pretty cheap, readily available, and should add a little hydrogen to the mix I would think.
I am a little hesitant to mess mine up since I just got it going.

Hey apwutcook,

The store bought stuff is 3% try the stuff "Hair Dressers" use to bleach hair it's 15-18% you can find higher percent grades but might have to answer a few questions to get it. Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2 at 70-98% can be used as a rocket fuel propellant ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

Be Carefull,
Fuzzy

countryboy18
09-05-2008, 11:59 PM
so wat exactly does the chemical make up have to be to work as a electrolyte? and then should there be a list of the best to least chemicals to use?

FuzzyTomCat
09-06-2008, 02:33 AM
so wat exactly does the chemical make up have to be to work as a electrolyte? and then should there be a list of the best to least chemicals to use?

Hey countryboy18,

I'm just a beginner here but the catalists used to make a electrolyte can be a acid, base or salt. I have seen things from koolaid to seawater plus the most common NaHCO3, NaOH, KOH, NaCL and vinegar take your pick, they all work some better than others depending on your cell design and personal prefrence or ECO (enviroment) conciderations.

Regards,
Fuzzy

countryboy18
09-06-2008, 07:48 AM
thanks for the info! fuzzytomcat!

88stang23
11-02-2009, 09:29 PM
hydrogen peroxide sounds like a pretty safe bet based on sound theory. as an electrolyte it can conduct electricity and wont give off chlorine like salt will. hell, it sounds like it wont have any truly negative affects on your engine because its hydrogen and oxygen just like the water you are electrolyzing.

Stevo
11-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Might I suggest you put your 88 Mustang on water vapor induction? You won't have to hook up all of the electrical BS and you can still use H202 if you want. I would certainly be interested in the results. I'll be providing my H202 results soon.

Roland Jacques
11-04-2009, 04:29 PM
hydrogen peroxide sounds like a pretty safe bet based on sound theory. as an electrolyte it can conduct electricity and wont give off chlorine like salt will. hell, it sounds like it wont have any truly negative affects on your engine because its hydrogen and oxygen just like the water you are electrolyzing.

My question is whats the point? H2O2 cost money and and has more O2 than H2O which is free.
Does it spilt easier (with less energy)?
Does it conduct better? I think the answer is No to both (not sure).
So what's the point? :confused:

88stang23
11-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Might I suggest you put your 88 Mustang on water vapor induction? You won't have to hook up all of the electrical BS and you can still use H202 if you want. I would certainly be interested in the results. I'll be providing my H202 results soon.

well first of all. i dont really have alot of time to research water vapor injection. ive heard about it but im far too busy. and second of all i would like to finish restoring it before i get too carried away with modifications XD.

and roland...... you can get a bottle of hydrogen peroxide at cvs for a couple bucks. and if you are worried about having more oxygen then you might want 2 try just adding a bit to some distilled water. you still get the conductivity while reducing the amount of oxygen you get. and it is more conductive than plain water. i think its because the molecules are held together by ionic bonds

Stevo
11-06-2009, 02:32 PM
:confused: erkay.

88stang23
01-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Hey apwutcook,

The store bought stuff is 3% try the stuff "Hair Dressers" use to bleach hair it's 15-18% you can find higher percent grades but might have to answer a few questions to get it. Hydrogen Peroxide H2O2 at 70-98% can be used as a rocket fuel propellant ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide

Be Carefull,
Fuzzy

supposedly it is possible to purify hydrogen peroxide by just adding salt. if this is the case than u can turn the cheap 3% into pure undiluted h2o2. i doubt its pure but im sure theres at lease SOME improvement

http://www.instructables.com/id/Distill-Hydrogen-Peroxide/

hoover1
08-03-2010, 10:18 AM
1- there is a thread of electrolyte do and donts on main page 2- only use base/alkaline. the other stuff puts out really toxic vapors! 3-there is a lot of olden days type info/tech out there. do some digging, go with latest proven to be safe. 4- 35% food grade peroxide can be had from detox/chelation suppliers. sounds intruiging, but needs a scientific type analysis of the gas produced.

LeanMixture
12-13-2010, 09:46 AM
What is the difference between Ozonated Water or Ozone saturated Water and Hydrogen Peroxide? And is it possible to make hydrogen peroxide on demand?

Redline96
12-30-2011, 01:50 PM
When I experimented with electrolysis of tap water (in Stillwater, OK the water quality is bad; 624 ppm of total dissolved solids) and I didn't use any electrolyzer. The amount of gunk that formed was disgusting. My set up was a ceramic coffee mug of tap water, two 4.5 volt batteries, and wires that are used to connect car audio components to connect the batteries and be used as a diode and cathode. The only metal exposed [to water/solution] where the doughnut-like connection ends. I then lit some bubbles with a long stem lighter. It made for some fun.

Then I pulled the wires out to stop it because it was getting nasty. Then I cleaned out the mug with dish soap, dried it out with a paper towel, and then used 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution from Wam-lart. I remember the solution bubbling much faster for a while and the solution didn't get gunky. I remember it had a yellowish tint, but I didn't know if that was from residual gunk from the previous attempt and/or the round connection ends corroding.

I've been told that 3% H2O2 has "stabilizers" in it and that it is not a pure H2O2 & distilled water solution. 'Food grade' hydrogen peroxide is 35% H2O2 and supposedly doesn't have "stabilizers".

I understand that you don't want to spill 35%, get it on your skin, drink it, and that it should be kept away from children & pets. Keep in mind that if you experiment with 35% H2O2, who knows what could happen to your cell and components. It is hazardous material; BE CAREFUL and read the warning labels & MSDS (material safety data sheet). You make your own choices; I am not responsible for you or outcomes.

You can dilute 35% with distilled water to make 3%. The mix ratio is 11 parts distilled water to 1 part 35%. I don't know if you add 35% to distilled or vise-versa. It maybe impractical for you to store 35% and dilute it; again that's your decision not mine. There's a lot of info about 35% online.

Theoretically, you could make huge gains of HHO production using 35%. I'd like to see people experiment with various percentages of H2O2.

sbeckman7
02-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Theoretically, you could make huge gains of HHO production using 35%. I'd like to see people experiment with various percentages of H2O2.

More so than other electrolytes?

arigatou
03-28-2012, 02:00 AM
I've seen things from the the koolaid sea, coupled with the most common sodium bicarbonate, sodium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, sodium chloride and vinegar as you choose.