PDA

View Full Version : Boil Prevention

bigapple
08-11-2008, 01:39 AM
i finally made my dual 8-plate design and its running very well making about 1 lpm and im still awaiting mpg results... i have it run thru a 40 amp circuit breaker and it hasnt tripped since my cells are conditioned... temperature still goes way up but its not enough to trip the breaker... im wondering if anyone can think of any way to prevent overheating besides having to rearrange my plates... i have it run as +-+-+-+- on both sides and even though its the worst with hit its really pumping out some hydroxy... it runs below 40 amps but still gets hot... im thinking the only way is to decrease the lye a little bit... i did that before and it worked well but my output went down a little bit so im wondering if my low-displacement engine would still run the same with a little less hydroxy... any criticism, constructive or not, is welcome... btw these are 302SS home depot plates... i found 304SS plates at lowes but they were out of the flat ones and only had the ones made for switches

EDIT: i cleaned out the old rusty water and put in fresh distilled with a little extra lye... i hooked up my harbor freight amp meter to my cell during a test and it said i was pulling less than 10 amps yet my cell was getting very hot... i felt the circuit breaker which usually fries my hand and it was actually not very warm... is it possible to have this low of amperage and still be making my cell get rediculously hot? and if my water boils, is it bad to have steam going into the intake? would wrapping my cells in electrical tape to prevent current leakage do anything at all?