PDA

View Full Version : The Acetone, Xylene & Torco Gp7 Trifecta??

justruse
06-11-2008, 07:22 PM
HEllo Newbie here..

love the forums have gotten some good info here already..

Was wondering if anyone has used this (home brew) additive ALONG with their HHo system, & if so what were your results??

My setup is

98 honda civic
1.6L 5-speed
2cell water4Gas Electrolizers (not Elaborate, But simple First run with hho)
Built & installed Map sensor Enhancer..( this works great )
i try not to lean out too much in the city tho

before hho 38 MPG Combined City/Hwy
after 1 Cell 42 Mpg " "
after 2nd cell+Sensor enhancer 44.5 Mpg Combined
This weekend will try an all hwy test see if i cant get 46+

But if anyone has experience with the additives It would be greatly appreciated..

also will the o2 Extender work with an OBD2

& thanks again for all the info i have previously scrounged for & found here, some of u guys have some NICE setups.. Ruse Out..

Stratous
06-11-2008, 08:04 PM
I plan to use acetone, just havent gotten around to it yet.

Ronjinsan
06-12-2008, 02:29 AM
Dont...I have and its really not worth the worries. Acetone eats away at plastics of most types for a start! Do some research before you try it...anyway I didnt get any improvement from what id supposed to be an increase in octane basically!:cool:

gte
06-12-2008, 10:00 AM
I tried acetone and I was very consistent with my experiment, it did not do anything. For the record, I used the good acetone.

justruse
06-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks for input on the acetone, think i'll steer clear of it..

but i still might try the xylene & gp7..
From what ive read you can lean back the fuel a little further using these without the pinging or vibration..

i would still like to know if u can use the O2 Extender in an OBD2 Ecu, or will i have to use some electrical intervention.. The Efie is it??

Thx.. Ruse..

wydopnthrtl
06-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Hello, (my first post here)

When it comes to acetone I have quite a bit of experience using it in 5 different cars.

I've found that on a carburated engine it is indeed worth the effort. But on modern electronic fuel injected engines it's not.

It does improve milage on FI cars/trucks. But only under a set of circumstances thats very narrow in scope. Basicly steady state low load situatuations. Otherwise, having used it for over 3 years now, the gains are not worth the effort & cost.

Regards,
Rich

Phantom240
06-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Acetone and Xylene are both very bad for plastics (I do a lot of industrial painting lol) and are VERY expensive. The gain of using these as additives, if any, would be minimal at best and is also much more expensive than gasoline per gallon.

Long Crapper
06-15-2008, 03:57 AM
I've used Acetone many times in my '95 Nissan pickup. 1oz. per 5 gallons of gasoline. The first time I tried it I was getting very bad mileage, like 12 miles to the gallon. My mileage went up to around 26 miles to the gallon, best mileage I have ever gotten on this truck. I ran that tank almost empty when I filled up and added the Acetone again. This time the mileage went back down to around 17 or 18 miles a gallon and hasn't changed much since, even when I add Acetone. Since reading about Hydrogen and some people using devices to control their MAP/MAF sensors and O2 sensors, I've wondered if maybe these sensors were the reason my mileage went down. I'm gonna get one of these MAF enhancers and see if it makes a difference with Acetone, I'll need one anyway because I'm gonna build a hydrogen generator pretty soon.

donsimpson12
06-15-2008, 12:42 PM
The best mixture for Acetone is 3 ounces per every 10 gallons of gas...

It does work and the amount of acetone that your using shouldn't bother anything in this diluted state.

It does work a little btw... make sure you get pure acetone from a beauty supply store.. around 12 to 18 bucks per gallon.. A gallon will last you quite a while...

I have also tried it on my diesel and haven't found the right combination (Mixture) at all with it. I have heard that it can help diesels but not on my end at this point....

Try if with a 4 cylinder..

Also, if you look at the ingredients of some race fuel and fuel boosters, you'll find acetone as one of the ingredients.. hmmm..

Good luck with it...

Don

Dean88
06-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Acetone helped my 1987 F250 with a 460 go from 10 mpg to 11.5. Be sure to get exactly 3 oz to 10 gallons or else mileage will decrease. It may not give all motors a 15% increase in efficiency (I think it helped me that much because of the sheer quantity of gas being dumped into the motor), but it should help out anybody.

Diesels generally prefer a 2.5 oz to 10 gallon mix.

wydopnthrtl
06-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Acetone:
I've found that a 2.5oz to 10 gal ratio to be best for my FI cars. In my experience get the amount up around the 3 to 3.25 range & milage will drop off.

IMO the real key to it working or not is how well the fuel is being atomized in the intake/combustion chamber. This would explain why a carburator fed engine responds so well to it.

I also think in part that the gear ratio vs TQ curve has a lot to do with it on a FI car/truck. The higher the load on a motor the more fuel is injected. The more fuel the more is wasted on a percentage basis. If you have a gear ratio and TQ that placing a low load on the motor.. you won't see much of a gain.

Rich

Dean88
06-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Well, I just started putting acetone in my 1980 F100 with a 300 carbed straight six that has religioiusly gotten 17 mpg and now it gets 21-23

wydopnthrtl
06-18-2008, 02:04 AM
I tried a little experiment tonight.

I took a piece of flat glass and put a single drop of tap water, a drop of gas, and a drop of acetone on it. Observed how quickly they spread and evaporated. The water stayed in a single bead. The gas spread and slowly vaporized. The acetone very quickly spread and vaporized.

I then heated a small piece of flat glass on our stove to 360F (infared gun measured)
Then repeated the droplets. The acetone immeadiately vaporized with just a very few small balls rolling quickly away from the center of the drop. The gas quickly vaporized but didn't really boil off like the acetone did. And the water vaporized but not all that quickly.

Then I put a drop of gas that had been mixed with a 3oz acetone to 10gal ratio on a clean part of the glass. I was supprised! Just that very small amount of acetone (added to the gas) made it vaporize & boil off in about 1/2 the time as did just the gas by itself.

I'm a firm believer in acetone for cars. However if the PCM on a modern FI car/truck is not corrected or fooled for thinking it's running lean? Mileage gains really are not very measureable.

What really made me a believer in acetone was a V8 carburated car I had. I was amazed. I did repeated ABA tests. I'd run 3-4 tanks on and 3-4 off. Then 3-4 on again and the results were always the same. It idled smoother, idled 100 rpms higher, and got a solid 3mpg better every time. I even went overboard and mixed it heavy on purpose once. I put in a 6oz to 10gal ratio just to see what would happen. The milage dropped back down to non-acetone levels and it even miss fired occasionally. Had noticeable power increase though.

Rich