PDA

View Full Version : Tacoma experience

fu89
06-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Hello guys, I'm a new user on the site and I'm happy to be here. I just ordered a HHO kit from a local guy here in central Florida and I'm installing it on a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with a 4.0L V-6. Does anybody have any input on a ballpark MPG increase I may see? I understand that all generator are different but this one is supposed to put out 1 liter a minute. Thanks in advance!

Getreal17
06-11-2008, 09:00 PM
I own a 2003 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L and I'm building a cell for it. Hopefully we can compare notes once we have them installed on our vehicles. I talk to quite a few people who have been doing this for some time and they all seem to get about a 50% gas mileage increase!

I'll have my tubular cell design completed in the next two weeks. Once it is completed, I will be installing it on a carbureated S10 just to prove that this whole HHO thing truly works. Once I prove that to myself, I will be ordering a PWM and an EFIE to install on my Tacoma.

So, give me another month and I'll be able to give you a Tacoma datapoint!

fu89
06-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Cool, I look forward to your results. I'm still not too familiar with some of these terms PWM and EFIE, but I'll learn in time. The unit I have coming will teach me the basics at least. It is a 12 plate setup, using stainless 304 I believe. I'm trying to figure out how to make some type of remote or automatic water replenishing system and some kinda water level detector so I don't have to stop every hundred miles on long trips. Hopefully someone can give me some ideas.

Stratous
06-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Cool, I look forward to your results. I'm still not too familiar with some of these terms PWM and EFIE, but I'll learn in time. The unit I have coming will teach me the basics at least. It is a 12 plate setup, using stainless 304 I believe. I'm trying to figure out how to make some type of remote or automatic water replenishing system and some kinda water level detector so I don't have to stop every hundred miles on long trips. Hopefully someone can give me some ideas.

Honestly, unless your unit is small and holds very little water, you shouldnt have to refill it that often. I can go 500 miles before the tops of my plates start to stick out of the water. Thats my system though, if you feel that you absolutely need a refill reservoir then here is an idea.

You need 2 water level switches, an electrolyte reservior, a small pump. You would mount a switch at the minimum electrolyte level and a switch at the maximum level. The min level switch will activate the pump which will refill your HHO generator and the max switch will turn it off.

If you have alot of room, u could use gravity to keep your HHO generator full by placing the reservoir tube into the hho generator. The refill tube must be placed so that it sticks into the gen at the min level you want your eletrolyte level to be at. The reservoir must be slightly higher in placement than the HHO gen to allow for gravity to force the electrolyte into your gen. I hope this makes sense to you, its difficlut for me to explain.

Here is a link to an automatic refill system. http://www.livevideo.com/video/08FA351008FC48C19CBDD20373E2DB74/hho-update-april-06-2008.aspx

fu89
06-11-2008, 11:20 PM
That makes perfect sense and thanks. I pondered the idea of the gravity fed set up. Basically, placement was my only concern. Believe it or not, the Tacoma has plenty of room under the hood so I may play with the gravity tank. I'm not sure yet how big my gen actually is; it should be here by Friday. With a 12 plate set up, I would imagine that its going to be moderate in size. We'll see I guess. When I get it installed I'll be sure to post a pic.

fu89
06-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Hey guys, I got my system installed and I made my trip from FL to NY. I started off with 2 liters of water to 1/2 tsp of baking soda, I had a complete melt down. Tried reducing the baking soda and I still can't get this thing to run any longer then 15 minutes before the 30A fuse blows. The unit started off as a 12 plate stainless steel disc type unit and now its a 6 plate plus all wiring is now 10ga wiring. I removed half of the plates thinking that it would reduce the resistence, thus reduce heat...No joy. I just wished a 20 mile trip with the booster on, the 30A didn't pop but the unit was extremely and bubbling at a very high rate. Does anyone have ANY suggestions? I would really like to get thing running...:confused:

jaxbrian
07-13-2008, 02:57 PM
I also have a Tacoma. Mine is a 2007 and I am looking to install a hho unit shortly. Where did you install yours? What is the spacing between your plates? To large of a spacing will cause it to heat up quickly. Did you install a ampmeter on yours? What about a MAF sensor or O2 sensor calibrators? Another cause of your heat problem is that you might have the water to high in your tank. I look forward to discussing our Tacoma HHO systems

Bullgator
09-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Where are you guys finding the space to mount your units. I was unable to locate a spot for my 12" X4" tube type generator. Could the unit be installed horizontily with the outlet mounted on the top side?

Glen L.:(:confused:

Bullgator
09-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Did this thread die, go the way of the dodo bird or what? Come guys lets post some results here. I'm still in the dark on were to install my 4"x12" unit in my Taco and do we need a maf enhancer eefie or what.

Glen L.

Spud^
09-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Where did everyone go? If anyone is still checking this thread please post. I will be building a booster and wanted some input from other tacoma drivers.

If you're reading this please post :eek:

HHOJeeper
07-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Got a guy I work with waiting on me to put my next Gen into my Wrangler with EFIE before we put one on has '10 tacoma. Under his hood there is a TON of space on the passenger side. He has the v6. Not sure how the body styles change in regard to underhood space but there is plenty of room under an X-runners hood too.....

PS I and my Taco buddy are interested to hear more on peoples experience. So post up!

Hazard2600
04-15-2011, 05:47 AM
Hey guys, I got my system installed and I made my trip from FL to NY. I started off with 2 liters of water to 1/2 tsp of baking soda, I had a complete melt down. Tried reducing the baking soda and I still can't get this thing to run any longer then 15 minutes before the 30A fuse blows. The unit started off as a 12 plate stainless steel disc type unit and now its a 6 plate plus all wiring is now 10ga wiring. I removed half of the plates thinking that it would reduce the resistence, thus reduce heat...No joy. I just wished a 20 mile trip with the booster on, the 30A didn't pop but the unit was extremely and bubbling at a very high rate. Does anyone have ANY suggestions? I would really like to get thing running...:confused:

The reason for the melt down was because the generator got too hot. The hotter the generator gets, the more current it will want. Therefore if you have an unlimited/high powersupply or a high amperage source, it will take it in. Eventually, MELTDOWN.
Which is why there is an important need for a pwm (Pulse Width Modulator). The PWM allows the electrical current to to be slowed so it doesn't overheat and provides a constant electrical current.
I had the same thing happen to me when I first started down the HHO path. All I can say is keep learning! you'll get it.
I'd suggest to get the HHO kit you ordered running outside your vehicle before fitting it in. That way no meltdown whilst drivin around.

Hazard2600
04-15-2011, 05:56 AM
Got a guy I work with waiting on me to put my next Gen into my Wrangler with EFIE before we put one on has '10 tacoma. Under his hood there is a TON of space on the passenger side. He has the v6. Not sure how the body styles change in regard to underhood space but there is plenty of room under an X-runners hood too.....

PS I and my Taco buddy are interested to hear more on peoples experience. So post up!

I've been doing a LOT of research on HHO and just found a great kit for my 1st pass located from this guy.LINKY (http://www.dry-cells.com/) He's nice and knowledgable (Even won awards for his HHO work). The EFIEs he gets for each of his kits, come from yet another nice and knowledgable place. LINKY (http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/)
Eventually. I'll build my own kit (excluding the electrical components as I'm not good with soldering).
The trick will be getting it all installed in my '03 2.7 Taco in an efficient manner. :eek:
I installed a Yellow top Optima and 2 gauge wiring to make sure I have enough current. The kit should be coming today/tomorrow!:D
I'll be posting alllll the details as no one else ever seems to lol.

Hazard2600
04-15-2011, 06:16 AM
Hello guys, I'm a new user on the site and I'm happy to be here. I just ordered a HHO kit from a local guy here in central Florida and I'm installing it on a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with a 4.0L V-6. Does anybody have any input on a ballpark MPG increase I may see? I understand that all generator are different but this one is supposed to put out 1 liter a minute. Thanks in advance!

Regarding the MPH:
Don't get caught up in dreams an get disappointed if it's low. Often it will take some calibration. LOTSA patience!
From what I've gathered thus far from people actually hooking it up, will get 10-30% improvement in mpg. but with gas going over $4. every little bit helps!
Some folks on here are talkin about rigging up wet cells. Wet cells are very inefficient when compared to a dry cell. no more complicated to build. Infact I'd say it'd be easier to build a dry cell.
My $.02