PDA

View Full Version : Help me beat the heat!!

Keith's Garage
08-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Ok. So I have been trying to get our generator to work. I am using a cylinderical cell with a plate design of +nn-nn+. I put about .5 tsp of potash, and am running about 25 amps. I get about .75 liters per minute. But when I run it on the vehicle for about twenty minutes, it starts overheating. Steam starts to come from the hose and it eats the water super fast. I have tried many different plate configurations, electrolyte amount, water amount. All outcomes are the same. Please someone help. I just can't keep the output the same while lowering the heat.

bigapple
08-13-2008, 01:47 AM
Ok. So I have been trying to get our generator to work. I am using a cylinderical cell with a plate design of +nn-nn+. I put about .5 tsp of potash, and am running about 25 amps. I get about .75 liters per minute. But when I run it on the vehicle for about twenty minutes, it starts overheating. Steam starts to come from the hose and it eats the water super fast. I have tried many different plate configurations, electrolyte amount, water amount. All outcomes are the same. Please someone help. I just can't keep the output the same while lowering the heat.

u could try some sort of cooling system... for example, since i use a cone air filter, the spot where my airbox used to be is the location of my generator... its rite next to my a/c condenser and the condenser gets very cold so i just mounted it rite up next to it to add a little bit of cool temps on the outside... im also thinking of doing some sort of insulation wrap to shed some of the engine heat away from it

DaneDHorstead
08-13-2008, 12:59 PM
The more neutral plates you use, the cooler it will run. There should be a two volt drop between each neutral, so your current set up is (volts) 12 10 8 6 8 10 12.

Adding an extra neutral plate to each side would give you a 12 volt input, to a 4 volt output, and run cooler.

Also, you may have a loose connection, that is heating dramatically.

Use nothing but stainless steel, and be certain that all connections are very tight!

Also consider decreasing the catalist.

You are better off using two generators, at a modest level of production, than one, that overheats. If using two (or more), wire them in parallel, with fuses/breakers for each.

DaneDHorstead
08-13-2008, 01:06 PM
The more neutral plates you use, the cooler it will run. There should be a two volt drop between each neutral, so your current set up is (volts) 12 10 8 6 8 10 12.

Adding an extra neutral plate to each side would give you a 12 volt input, to a 4 volt output, and run cooler.

Also, you may have a loose connection, that is heating dramatically.

Use nothing but stainless steel, and be certain that all connections are very tight!

Also consider decreasing the catalist.

You are better off using two generators, at a modest level of production, than one, that overheats. If using two (or more), wire them in parallel, with fuses/breakers for each.
I strongly suspect a loose connection.

I run three generators 17 plates (16 cells ea), set up +NNN-NNN+NNN-NNN+, each with a seperate breaker (but in parallel), and draw 10 amps each, at 128 F. Production is 1.9 LM, using 1 teaspoon Potassium Hydroxide, per gallon of distilled water.

Obviously, I could increase catalyst, but to do so, increases heat.

bigapple
08-14-2008, 01:31 AM
im about to post a new thread in gen discussion over my new experimentation with neutral plates... some have doubted them and some have loved them and i am now a believer... check out my thread as to y having them makes it so much more efficient and cooler running... as long as u have solid positives and negatives between, they will def produce and pull much fewer amps... thus, much lower operating temperature