PDA

View Full Version : more plates, more plates in series

HYDROGYRO
08-13-2008, 09:11 AM
will 10 plates produce more gas than 7? With nearly the same configuration and just added nuetrals?

Will 20 plates wired in series produce any more than 10 plates?

Will 20 in series only lower the voltage and not produce any more gas? What do the extra plates do.... just sit there and not produce?

Thanks

BoyntonStu
08-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Plates? I am getting old, I have both upper and lower!

Starting with 13.8 Volts and 4 plates in series, you have 2 cells.

Thus there are 13.8 Volts/2 across each cell. About 7 Volts.

Double 2 cells to 4 and you get 3.5 V.

Double to 8 cells and you get 1.75

If you doubled again to 16 cells you would be at ~0.9V per cell which is below the ~1.5 V required to electrolyze water.

Experience of many has shown that 6 cells or possibly 7 cells is about right.

I hope that this helps.

BoyntonStu

1973dodger
08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
When you go with a series cell you will need to add more connected plates(cells) in parrallel in each set. Do not try to use neutrals in a series cell. You may also want to research some threads concerning series cells, I have posted a more detailed post in a thread recently concerning "series cells".

1973dodger

gizzy
08-13-2008, 11:18 AM
So if more plates in series lower the voltage. Why then the amperage can increase dramatically above 30 amps. I understand the more electrolite used the amperage and heat increases.

BoyntonStu
08-13-2008, 12:08 PM
So if more plates in series lower the voltage. Why then the amperage can increase dramatically above 30 amps. I understand the more electrolite used the amperage and heat increases.

If the cells do not each have enough Volts for electrolysis ~1.5-2V, any additional Amps will just heat the electrolyte and eventually it will boil.

I hope that this helps.

BoyntonStu