PDA

View Full Version : Filler Cap?

bigapple
08-14-2008, 01:38 AM
does anyone have any suggestions as to a good filler cap for my generator? i have a double 8 pack design (+NN--NN+) and dont feel like undoing the screws on the top of my pvc box everytime i need to fill up... i purchased a small plumbing tube with a cap but i think it will be a pain to seal the cap with teflon tape and have to unscrew it everytime i need more water... any caps that seal well and are easy to open and close?

sm0kin
08-14-2008, 08:29 AM
you could tap it for a 3/4" nipple and screw a 3/4" hose cap fitting to it. or you could set up a blow valve like zerofossilfuel's design. you can find it if you search youtbe.

Painless
08-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Oversimplifying, but how about a rubber hose with a funnel in the end and a clamp for the hose to seal it when not being used to fill?

bigapple
08-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Oversimplifying, but how about a rubber hose with a funnel in the end and a clamp for the hose to seal it when not being used to fill?

that would need a pretty tight clamp but i see what ur saying... so ur thinkin if u just put a loose rubber hose on top and seal it off with silicone on the lid with some sort of plug for the hole, it should seal in the gas? sounds like a pretty simple idea... might have to try it out

Dewayne
08-14-2008, 03:06 PM
I copied this from a post I submiited some weeks ago.

"I have found an easy way to fill the Smacks type cell.

I went to the hardware store today and was looking for anything I could use to fill the cell with without removing any of the wires or fitting.

What I came up with seems like the ideal fix.

I purchased a 1/2" ball valve and a 1/2" spigot slip adpator. On the cap in an area where there are no other fittings or wire connections I measured half way between the cap threads (inside part not outside) and the cap square raised part (9/16".) I then took a 7/8" forsner (sp) bit and drilled through the cap. You will then need to cut off about 1/4 of the flange on the spigot adpator. Now insert the spigot adpator up throught the bottom of the cap for a test fit. It should be a very snug fit. Slip the ball valve over the adpator and check how it fits. It will NOT fit all the way down on the adpator, you only want to be sure you can get it most of the way over the adpator. Now remove everything from the cap. You will now epoxy everything together. Use only "J-B Weld" epoxy, this is the toughest epoxy I have ever found. I think I got mine from Wal-Mart. Be sure to put a good amount of it inside the ball valve as there is a gap that will need to be filled."

Hope this helps

bigapple
08-14-2008, 04:09 PM
I copied this from a post I submiited some weeks ago.

"I have found an easy way to fill the Smacks type cell.

I went to the hardware store today and was looking for anything I could use to fill the cell with without removing any of the wires or fitting.

What I came up with seems like the ideal fix.

I purchased a 1/2" ball valve and a 1/2" spigot slip adpator. On the cap in an area where there are no other fittings or wire connections I measured half way between the cap threads (inside part not outside) and the cap square raised part (9/16".) I then took a 7/8" forsner (sp) bit and drilled through the cap. You will then need to cut off about 1/4 of the flange on the spigot adpator. Now insert the spigot adpator up throught the bottom of the cap for a test fit. It should be a very snug fit. Slip the ball valve over the adpator and check how it fits. It will NOT fit all the way down on the adpator, you only want to be sure you can get it most of the way over the adpator. Now remove everything from the cap. You will now epoxy everything together. Use only "J-B Weld" epoxy, this is the toughest epoxy I have ever found. I think I got mine from Wal-Mart. Be sure to put a good amount of it inside the ball valve as there is a gap that will need to be filled."

Hope this helps

jesus that was extremely informative... ill look up those part names thru google so ill know what exactly it is that im looking for

much appreesh

Dewayne
08-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Maybe a pic will help.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w1/n0ssy/DSCF0081.jpg

bigapple
08-14-2008, 05:17 PM
that looks really good... so basically incorporating a hose end into the top of the box... nice photo

Dewayne
08-14-2008, 06:27 PM
that looks really good... so basically incorporating a hose end into the top of the box... nice photo

No the spigot adaptor comes up from the bottom of the cap and the ball valve is glued to it. There are no threads on the
ball valve. The adaptor and ball valve slide together.

Dewayne
08-14-2008, 06:39 PM

There is no hose end.

First of all the spigot adopter and ball valve slide together.

Drill a hole through the cap.
Push the adapter up from the bottom of the cap.
Slip the Ball valve over the adapter.
Nothing is threaded and there is no hose end.

You can find these parts at Ace Hardware.

Follow my procedure above and you'll be ok.

bigapple
08-14-2008, 08:24 PM
good stuff i have an ace about 3 minutes from here... thanx for the insight man