PDA

View Full Version : The GTE HHO Experiment

gte
06-12-2008, 12:42 AM
So it started tonight ...

I ran to walmart, got 3 containers, 4.9L, 2.8L and 1.5L.

The large one is the electrolyte solution container, the 2nd largest is the fluid measurement transfer container where the water originates, the 3rd largest is the fluid measurement transfer container where the water will end up, so I can see how long it takes the HHO to displace a liter of water.

Here are some videos of my first few experiments, I have 4 plates that are 2.5 x 5", with a 1.6mm nylon washer acting as a spacer in between each plate. It gets 13.8 to 14 volts via 10gauge wiring, 2 aligator clamps and a battery charger. I may get a battery at some point, but I don't have an extra at the moment.

This video is just with straight stream water (which I figure is the same as rain water) and nothing added to it

http://www.zippyvideos.com/2722386727642166/mov00328/

This video is with 1 gallon of stream water, mixed with 1/8 of a cup of table salt
http://www.zippyvideos.com/1988427027642156/mov00329/

And finally, here is the HHO bubbling out, I believe that my container had some leaks, so I may be able to get it to bubble even better, but how does this look for production, anyone?

http://www.zippyvideos.com/5270880677642186/mov00330/

Once I get the other containers/hoses to seal properly, I'll then time how long it takes to displace a liter of water from the 2nd largest container to the 3rd largest container.

Stratous
06-12-2008, 11:44 AM
The videos will not play for me, not sure if I am doing something wrong, or the videos didnt load.

bagrman
06-12-2008, 11:52 AM
GTE

Don't use salt. it produces chlorine gas. Baking soda is cheap and safe 1 tsp per gallon of water.

Most every one measures the production in liters/per minute. Take a empty liter water bottle and fill it with water and invert it in your water container. then just slip the hose from your generator into the bottle and time how long it takes to empty the bottle.

Latr
bagrman

PS NO SALT

gte
06-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Will do, I will nix the salt then

Today I'm going to the grocery store to get some distilled water and some baking soda and I'm hoping my containers have sealed better, due to the silicone drying around the seals I have made.

I'll probably get a water spray bottle as well, and tonight ... IT'S ON!

Smith03Jetta
06-12-2008, 01:37 PM
GTE? I can't see your videos because of my employer's firewall. What kind of car do you have? Vauxhall GTE, Astra GTE, Toyota GTE, Reliant GTE, Ferrari 250 GTE, Cougar XR7 GTE, Audi GTE, Opel Kadett GTE, Lamborghini Espada 400 GTE, or Bradley GTE?

If you are driving a Bradley GTE, you have nothing to worry about with Gas Mileage. It's already an electric.

Mr. Smith

gte
06-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Hi Mr. Smith

I actually can't see my videos because of the damn work firewall either

I have 2 toyota GTE's, but in this particular case and vehicle it's a 2zzge engine in a Corolla XRS. It may become a gte like my other gte engines, but in the mean time it will stay ge .

I've ordered some more plates, and I plan to do something different this time. I think my design will be like this
-+- -+- -+-

I figure if there are 2 hydrogen molecules that are positively charged and therefore magnetically attracted to the negative plates (even though they are physically smaller then the oxygen molecule) that I should have a 2:1 ratio of plates as well? We'll see how it goes

Also, what do you think of something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MASTECH-VARIABLE-REGULATED-DC-P-S-HY3050E-0-30V-0-50A_W0QQitemZ380036363802QQihZ025QQcategoryZ58288Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

0-30V and 0-50A, all fully and independently adjustable :D

http://i8.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/de/49/d5ce_1.JPG

GTE? I can't see your videos because of my employer's firewall. What kind of car do you have? Vauxhall GTE, Astra GTE, Toyota GTE, Reliant GTE, Ferrari 250 GTE, Cougar XR7 GTE, Audi GTE, Opel Kadett GTE, Lamborghini Espada 400 GTE, or Bradley GTE?

If you are driving a Bradley GTE, you have nothing to worry about with Gas Mileage. It's already an electric.

Mr. Smith

gte
06-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Well I can report back that baking soda and distilled water are hovering right around worthless, I made far more gases with stream water and an 1/8th of a cup of table salt, so back to table salt or something else ... I'm quite surprised and disappointed at the nothing that came out? I think I could make more liters of hydrogen per hour, by eating mexican a lot.

Stratous
06-12-2008, 10:16 PM
How much baking soda did you use? Most people use 1 to 2 table spoons. I personally dont like baking soda, I use sodium hydroxide. AKA caustic soda or lye. I use 1/2 tea spoon per gallon of water. Salt is bad to use, it produces chlorine gas which is very bad for soft metals like aluminum. Dry chlorine gas will react with aluminum to produce Aluminum chloride which is hazardous.

gte
06-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Baking soda is absolutely worthless. I tried 1 tablespoon, and then added another, didn't get jack either way.

Can you get lye at Home Depot or Walmart?

I definitely smelled like a pool in my garage, haha!

How much baking soda did you use? Most people use 1 to 2 table spoons. I personally dont like baking soda, I use sodium hydroxide. AKA caustic soda or lye. I use 1/2 tea spoon per gallon of water. Salt is bad to use, it produces chlorine gas which is very bad for soft metals like aluminum. Dry chlorine gas will react with aluminum to produce Aluminum chloride which is hazardous.

Stratous
06-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Yes, it is the ingrediant in a product made by roebic called crystal drain opener. It is 100% sodium hydroxide.

Ronjinsan
06-13-2008, 04:01 AM
Hi GTE

I read your posts with interest, something aint right! If as you say your plate array is -+- -+- -+- does that mean that you have 3 cells with 3 plates per cell seperately? Or one cell ie? -+--+--+-? What plate gap are you using? How much water is in the container or 3 containers? A simple -+- plate arrangement with a gap of lets say 2mm between the plates and the amount of soda you say you used, should literally explode into bubble production as you are not using any neutral plates! I have done the experiment before using -+- in many formats and without neutral plates the amperage draw was colossal. Heat runaway was very quick. Maybe I missed something on one of you posts? Try and stick with baking soda in your experimantal stage....really it works! Are you sure you have ALL the leaks sealed? Cheers :rolleyes:

gte
06-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Ron

I tried a couple of different configurations

With the salt and stream water, I had a 1.64mm gap (I MICed my nylon washers, so that's very exact) and I had a plate config of

+NN- and I made a decent amount of gas. I didn't even measure yet, I was just using my eye to watch the frequency and diameter of the bubbles

Last night, I tried

+NN-
+N-
+N--

And as I said before, taco's and my butt could have produced more gas than that thing was making :)

My suggested (pure speculation) config of -+- -+- -+- or -+-N-+-N-+- was only suggested because the hydrogen atoms are positively charged and are drawn to the - plates, and it's H20 meaning there are twice as many hydrogen atoms to each oxygen atom, so it makes sense to exploit both of those things and have more negative plates ... this also might be why the tubing is successful, if you use the outer tube and make it negatively charged ... what do you think?

On a side note, I did get my tig welder up and running last night! I bought some stuff for it today, so I'll start welding stainless tabs to my plates to make things a bit easier

I have read your posts on here and respect your opinion/experience. I will try the simple config you suggested this weekend, and I will have a gallon of distilled with 1.5 tablespoons of baking soda. I video it and show you exactly what I am seeing. Anything else you want, water temp, voltage (my ammeter has not came in yet, but it'll be a max of 40 amps) or anything, let me know and I'll document it all for the video.

bagrman
06-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Stratus What kind of milage increases did you get from you set-up.

GTE The stream water alone should have enough minerals in it to get you plenty of gas. The best to use is rain water.
I only use 1tsp of baking soda in a gallon.
If your not getting gas with 2 tbls then change your plate set up.
What is your gap? Try +nnnnn- and see if you increase production.
I had read that if you pickle your cell in a lye solution for an hour, it will clean them up to where you can use just water with no additive.

Latr

Stratous
06-16-2008, 11:19 AM
I saw an increase of 6mpg. I went from 17 to 23.2.

gte
06-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Ok, I went to Lowes and got some lye today

My design only made 1L per 6 minutes, but I do like the sodium hydroxide much better.

Each one of these containers cost $8 dollars. I snapped a pic, because no one in the store knew where to find them, and I wanted to make it easier on others. I found them in the plumbing section by the way.

Lowes part number 146450 2@7.66 = $15.32 plus tax

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/2448/sodiumhydroxide1rg2.jpg

Also, here is a video of what a whopping 1L per 6 minutes looks like, bubbling in water

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=5nrozl&s=3

Let me know what you all think!

Ronjinsan
06-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Hi GTE ..... do me a favour, pick the whole thing up while its running and hold it underwater! I dont trust soft plastic for containers, every one I have tried leaked miserably and was not worth the effort. If you have a good plate setup as you say you have and the electrolyte is correct then you MUST get results! If not something else is wrong.....;)

gte
06-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Ron,

I'll keep experimenting, I'm not pressed about this. I'll keep testing new containers, I do know that my plastic container is leaking and I want to change my plates around to see what happens.

I thought it was pretty wild how some of the mixture would read +3 to 5v and if I moved my multimeter around, it would then read in the negative.

Ronjinsan
06-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Yeah cool but still interesting...you should see some of the leaks I've had. Bash my head on the wall for days only to find I missed a small leak......did it again yesterday but a bit wiser these days Lol

gte
06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
I was using silicone to seal to the plastic, but it doesn't seal very well, so I'm going to find a different container, and find a different sealant (maybe some sort of bonding epoxy, to see exactly what works best.

Then I start playing with plate configuration :)

Yeah cool but still interesting...you should see some of the leaks I've had. Bash my head on the wall for days only to find I missed a small leak......did it again yesterday but a bit wiser these days Lol

Ronjinsan
06-18-2008, 04:52 AM
Yeah the silcone just peels off and doesnt stick nicely to some plastics....I found the best way, is to make rubber gaskets wherever possible so that there is no adhesives involved. I havent found a glue that works well for long periods yet! Cheers