PDA

View Full Version : Need some insight

michael.su
08-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Hello all,
I've been experimenting with HHO for just a month or so with little success. I'm badly in need for some fresh Ideas.
My car is a 1999 Ford ZX2.

1) My cell is running great, I tried about 12 V draw first and had decent HHO production but no MPG gain.

2)I added a Dual MAF enhancer which I can only assume is working as designed because I can stall the engine or throw the "mixture too lean" code if I adjust too lean. Still no MPG change

3) added o2 extender and higher concentrate electrolyte (baking soda)
I am now drawing 16 amps and HHO production is very high. Without having any way to check accurately I couldn't say exactly how much but compared to a lot of videos I've seen HHO production looks good.
Still no change either way in MPG. It's exactly where it was when I started.

I have the SS plate design cell with 8 plates. I did not build it but bought it. It is a well constructed unit.

Any Ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mike

timetowinarace
08-14-2008, 07:45 PM
There is a simple way to measure output. Use a clear bottle of your choice such as a water or soda bottle. It will say how many L it holds. 500mL, 1L, 2L, whatever. Fill a 5 gallon bucket or the like with water. put your bottle in the water(no lid) and fill it with water. Turn it upside down. Put a hose from your electrolyser into the bottle and turn on the unit. Time how long it takes to fill with gas. Do the math for L/M.

I don't think anyone can help much without knowing production rate/engine size.

michael.su
08-14-2008, 09:01 PM
The engine is a 2.0 liter 4 cyl. I will check output and post when I can.
I don't understand how there could be no change if others are reporting such significant gains. How could my engine/ecm be so much different?
Even if it was minimal I expected to see some gain with the amount of research/work I have in so far.:confused

Thanks for the reply, I will keep digging

michael.su
08-18-2008, 09:43 PM
My output is just under .5 LPM. Is that enough for a 2.o L 4 cylinder to see some MPG improvement?

HYDROTEKPRO
08-18-2008, 10:47 PM
My output is just under .5 LPM. Is that enough for a 2.o L 4 cylinder to see some MPG improvement?

Yes. You also need an EFIE for every pre-catalytic oxygen sensor.

michael.su
08-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Can you recommend one? or where to get it. There are a lot of people out there that have no Idea what they are selling.

smartHHO
08-19-2008, 09:22 AM
There are lots of them out there, even on ebay. I personally most likely will end up building one from one of the many schematics that are available. You definitely need to fool the O2 sensor/s. They are the main part that tells the computer that it is getting too much O2 and thus dumps for fuel into the jets. So, you don't see any improvement. Extenders, for what they are worth, to me, don't seem to work. We have tried them on a V8 deseil, and they worked for about 10 min. But, .5 LPM did give the engine a 2.5MPG increase, which got it up to 18.5mpg. That is a 6.7liter engine. So your small 4 banger most likely is compensating. Look thru the web and build one, or risk money on one that might work. Good luck either way. Sorry I can not reccomend one that I am using. Still waiting on all my parts to come in to build my cell.

HYDROTEKPRO
08-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Can you recommend one? or where to get it. There are a lot of people out there that have no Idea what they are selling.

These have been highly recommended:
http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/store/index.php?main_page=products_all
http://www.eagle-research.com/products/pfuels.html

We're just a couple of days away from testing our first system on-board with EFIEs as well. We got our 2 EFIEs from http://www.vadaenergy.com/ , and we sure as hell hope their EFIEs work!!!:D Not too sure about their electrolyzers though, copper coil? Not to belittle a competitor but, seems like their product line is pretty cheap. Perhaps Walmart or BigLots will carry their systems someday?:p

michael.su
08-27-2008, 02:44 PM
I figured I should update this thread too. I think it fits here better than in the
Engine Computer Integration forum.........

Ok, now I'm ready to give up.
I bought and installed An EFIE on my pre catalytic converter O2 sensor and changed my Electrolyte to sodium hydroxide. I seem to be getting a little better Hydroxy production with less current draw and definitely less heat now, though I have not taken an accurate measurement yet. I'm going to say I'm making just over .5 LPM now.

This is the EFIE I bought:
http://www.vadaenergy.com/products/0...fc240dual.html

According to my voltage measurement before and after, The EFIE seems to be working correctly.

My measurements before and after the MAF enhancer also seem to indicate that it is functioning properly.

I've burned almost a full tank of gas and still seem to have gained nothing.:(

What's left?:confused:

smartHHO
08-27-2008, 02:58 PM
I figured I should update this thread too. I think it fits here better than in the
Engine Computer Integration forum.........

Ok, now I'm ready to give up.
I bought and installed An EFIE on my pre catalytic converter O2 sensor and changed my Electrolyte to sodium hydroxide. I seem to be getting a little better Hydroxy production with less current draw and definitely less heat now, though I have not taken an accurate measurement yet. I'm going to say I'm making just over .5 LPM now.

This is the EFIE I bought:
http://www.vadaenergy.com/products/0...fc240dual.html

According to my voltage measurement before and after, The EFIE seems to be working correctly.

My measurements before and after the MAF enhancer also seem to indicate that it is functioning properly.

I've burned almost a full tank of gas and still seem to have gained nothing.:(

What's left?:confused:

I could be wrong but someone has said the O2 sensor by the manifold in front of the Convertor, and I have heard do both. From what I have read on O2 sensors, the first one sees how much fuel/o2 is coming out of the valve after burn. The second one is then comparing what the first one seen to see if the Convertor burned off the extra fuel and lowered or raised the O2 lvls. Now I read this info on O2 and the ECU from some site that tells you how things work. From what I read, it makes more sense to me to fool the one at the end of the system, so the ECU thinks that everything is just fine. What I plan on doing once I figure out what kind of container I want to make, is to measure the voltage at normal use on the end O2. Then hook up the adjustment device that I make from web schematics. Adjust the ofset from the new reading to match what the old was. That should lean out my fuel and give me better MPG. But of course, it will be all theory until I prove it wrong or right.

volomike
08-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Are you using a PWM or just dimming down your lye solution? In general I found about 1 tablespoon per gallon worked just fine in a powertube kind of configuration. If you have a different config, such as a square box, etc., your parts per gallon may need to be different.

Where are you running the HHO into? The fuel injector? In my case I'm running it into the box above the fuel injector. This is on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4dr.

I've heard pro and con for EFIE sensors. To me, unless one knows exactly what they're doing, messing with fuel mixture on a vehicle looks like it might actually hurt the engine, right?

volomike
08-27-2008, 03:49 PM
There is a simple way to measure output. Use a clear bottle of your choice such as a water or soda bottle. It will say how many L it holds. 500mL, 1L, 2L, whatever. Fill a 5 gallon bucket or the like with water. put your bottle in the water(no lid) and fill it with water. Turn it upside down. Put a hose from your electrolyser into the bottle and turn on the unit. Time how long it takes to fill with gas. Do the math for L/M.

I don't think anyone can help much without knowing production rate/engine size.

Would be neat if the test told you how much hydrogen was coming out of that solution, not just oxygen.

michael.su
08-27-2008, 04:00 PM
My electrolyte solution right now is a 1/2 tsp per gallon. It seems like a good mix for my setup. It's drawing a steady 10 amps and is at a good operating temp even after 30 minutes of driving. It seems like a much better mix than the previous Baking soda tests.

I don't have a PWM.

I am piping the HHO into the air box after the MAF and just before the Fuel injection.

see pictures:

http://hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=1018

My cell is a SS plate design with 8 plates.