PDA

View Full Version : Bonding Plexiglas

Painless
08-14-2008, 06:49 PM
What would you recommend as a safe adhesive / method of bonding plexiglas for use in an electrolyte bath?

bigapple
08-14-2008, 08:29 PM
although not extremely fast-drying, using a high temp gasket sealer silicone is a good choice... ive used it to seal off my barb on the top of my generator along with the window that i made for the top of the box... completely seals out the hydroxy and works well under pressure since its made for engine block temperatures... there may be better epoxys out there that are stickier and hold better together but i know for sure that high temp silicones work well under electrolytic conditions in the generator

Painless
08-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Sounds good to me, thanks for the advice!

michael.su
08-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Acetone will bond it permanently. We use to use it in a syringe to glue plexiglass boxes together. Just make sure you don't get it on any surfaces you want to be able to see through because it will haze it. It etches the Acrylic.
If you hold the pieces together and run the syringe along the joint it will bond it instantly.

HTH

-Mike

bigapple
08-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Sounds good to me, thanks for the advice!

check in the epoxy section of autozone... red, blue, or black rtv high temp gasket sealer will work for this application... each box will have temperature ratings on them... good luck!

Bossman
08-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Acetone will bond it permanently. We use to use it in a syringe to glue plexiglass boxes together. Just make sure you don't get it on any surfaces you want to be able to see through because it will haze it. It etches the Acrylic.
If you hold the pieces together and run the syringe along the joint it will bond it instantly.

HTH

-Mike

Great info, I'll have to try that for my site window